"It's a Nightmare" - Obama to Inherit International Mess

anybody with half a brain realizes we didn't have enough to quell the situation in Iraq. Instead wide spread looting and rioting went on with the majority of the Iraqi army joining the insurgent forces. Even the republicans realize the situation in Iraq was mishandled, Gen.Shinseki was ignored by two neocon war mongers who had no clue how to dampen the situation.
yeah, because we never had more than 157k troops in Iraq, it required 300k
that is some massive stretch you make

What makes anyone so sure that the war didn't end up exactly as planned ?

Exactly as planned by who? Our enemies or the Bush admin? I am sure that our enemies love how we our entangled in Iraq and being slowly bleed while our resources stretched beyond capacity. you know similar to Russia's war in Afghanistan? We have never been more vulnerable to a crisis then we are now, if something breaks out we are ill equipped to handle it.

Exactly as planned by who? Our enemies or the Bush admin? I am sure that our enemies love how we our entangled in Iraq and being slowly bleed while our resources stretched beyond capacity. you know similar to Russia's war in Afghanistan? We have never been more vulnerable to a crisis then we are now, if something breaks out we are ill equipped to handle it.

Who knows these days. Have you tried to get a straight answer from a politician recently? I'm going back to conspiracy land until they make me come out. :lol:

Another lie, Mr Bass is *NOT* a staunch Democrat, neither is he a closet liberal nor closet Democrat like you're suggesting but the lunacy of those on the right has been exposed during the campaign for how extremely biased and prejudiced they really are and their tactic of trying to use fear to win has backfired.

BS, the reason Republicans lost is because they abandoned their conservative principles. By the way what the hell is up speaking in third person all the time. Mr. Jreeves thinks that's retarded....

Who knows these days. Have you tried to get a straight answer from a politician recently? I'm going back to conspiracy land until they make me come out. :lol:
no war goes exactly as planned
all plans change after the first shots are fired

As Americans (and our national government ) become increasingly poorer, our role in the world will diminish.

If Obama can extricate us from those two land wars in Asia without leaving a mess behind, he'll have done a fine job regards foreign policy.

I am concerned about the apparent saber rattling on the Polish border, but it's time for EUROPE to take care of itself.

We've been carrying Europe (by defending it from the Soviets) for fifty years and we''re broke.

The Iraq war is now pretty much over. Many of those troops are on a two year timetable to leave anyway, regardless of which candidate won. Yesterday's news. Obama actually plans to INCREASE troop levels and activity in Afghanistan, so I fail to see anywhere where you can think he's going to try and extricate from that? He is also hell bent on deploying that missile defense system in Poland.

Six months from now all the hard left are going to be using terms like "turncoat" and "traitor" to describe the President as his centrist policies domestically and rather hawkish stances internationally become evident.

The Iraq war is now pretty much over. Many of those troops are on a two year timetable to leave anyway, regardless of which candidate won. Yesterday's news. Obama actually plans to INCREASE troop levels and activity in Afghanistan, so I fail to see anywhere where you can think he's going to try and extricate from that? He is also hell bent on deploying that missile defense system in Poland.

Six months from now all the hard left are going to be using terms like "turncoat" and "traitor" to describe the President as his centrist policies domestically and rather hawkish stances internationally become evident.

He's not a radical, muslim Marxist anymore? :frown:

The Democrats should indeed take responsibility for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as they voted for it, however, they did not control Bush's executive order allowing special ops to operate inside of Iran, Syria and Pakistan, Congress did not vote for Bush to place a missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic. Congress did not give the President authority to rule the military without proper permission from the United States Congress. And yes, I do want to follow the rules. I want to follow the rules setup in the United States Constitution that specifically says "Congress shall have the power to make war." The constitution does NOT say "The President shall have the power to make war."

Prior to the War Powers Act following Vietnam, the President could deploy any number of military units, in combat roles for any length of time, anywhere without approval of anyone. If Congress didn't like it, they simply could cut off funding, which is EXACTLY how they stopped Vietnam. A declaration of WAR is simply a temporary increase in the power of the President and subsequent relinquishing of power of Congress over military operations. It essentially is congress giving up its funding authority, nothing else.

The War Powers Act (which is Unconstitutional, by the way), changed all that as a knee-jerk reaction to Vietnam.

He's not a radical, muslim Marxist anymore? :frown:

I never labeled him as any of those. I warned all the wild-eyed leftists on this board as long as six months ago, this guy is NOT going to be a leftist President. One, can't afford to be, and Two, he knows he leads a center-Right nation and wants to have what every first term President wants....a second term.

*cough* SURGE *cough*

We had close to 300,000 troops in Iraq at the peak of the surge. If we would've had 500,000 to begin with, perhaps we would have never gotten into this mess and could've quelled Iraqi violence from the start. Then again, there might be a lot more dead soliders...

I certainly hope that when Obama gets put into office, one of his top priorities is some kind of economic stimulus package for all Iraq and Afghanistan vets. Some kind of tax rebate of $2500 or something for them to spend on whatever they want. Didn't the government do something like that for WW2 vets?

This was an unpopular war, but the treatment these soldiers get should at the top of the list of our national priorities. We should do everything we can to thank those who put their necks on the line for us.

The most coalition troops ever on the ground in Iraq was 185,000 and that for only about three weeks.

We really did need roughly 750,000 though to fully secure the country after toppling the government. So we never had more than 25% of what it really took to do the job. We occupied a smaller country, Japan, with 1,200,000 troops throughout 1946.

The most coalition troops ever on the ground in Iraq was 185,000 and that for only about three weeks.

We really did need roughly 750,000 though to fully secure the country after toppling the government. So we never had more than 25% of what it really took to do the job. We occupied a smaller country, Japan, with 1,200,000 troops throughout 1946.

Exactly, there was no where near enough boots on the ground. The Bush admin completely fumbleded the one oppurtunity it had to quell the violence and secure Iraq.

Forum List

Back