‘It’s a crisis for Québec women’ (socialized medicine fails)

I'm sorry, are you implying that everybody who wants "an operation" should be able to get one on demand?

What sort of operation? Who turned you away..and what was the reason? Did you just choose not to have the operation?

Never mind, I don't expect honesty at this point in the game.

Socialized medicine fails? I didn't see that written anywhere in the article. Besides, America doesn't have "socialized" medicine. Also, Quebec is not all of Canada.

This is one of the most ignorant posts you've ever made.

Neg rep. Ass douche.

I've been privileged to have superior, prompt medical attention because I'm an American.

I've lived within a few clicks of the poverty level most of my life. I have no savings. And I have never gone without medical care...nor have my children.

Canadians overwhelming don't want anything to do with an American style medical system. Polls over the years have shown that 80%-90% of Canadians like Medicare, even if they believe there should be changes. The Left in Canada frames any move towards private healthcare as a move towards an American system as a way to demonize privatization. Also, Canadians go across the border for advanced procedures, but they account for less than 1% of all procedures.

But Canadians are willing to tolerate waiting for procedures. And the lines can be long, particularly for "lifestyle" issues. My father had to wait nearly a year to see a neurologist regarding a pinched nerve which caused him significant pain. My wife's uncle was scheduled to have stents implanted, and had to wait nine months before undergoing surgery, but that was only after he went into emergency complaining of chest pains, when he was then admitted.

I don't think Americans are willing to wait like Canadians are.

My aunt (living in Canada with her Canadian now ex-husband) needed a root canal--which is a pretty routine procedure. She was told it would be two MONTHS before she could see an oral surgeon. She went to the US (I recall to Buffalo)...it was done (everything: from calling to set up an appointment to the actual procedure) in less than a week.

If I had to wait a year to deal with a pinched nerve in my back, I'd probably eat a shotgun.

But holy fuck: waiting NINE MONTHS for a major cardiac problem?!?! It's a miracle he survived!

Canadians overwhelming don't want anything to do with an American style medical system. Polls over the years have shown that 80%-90% of Canadians like Medicare, even if they believe there should be changes. The Left in Canada frames any move towards private healthcare as a move towards an American system as a way to demonize privatization. Also, Canadians go across the border for advanced procedures, but they account for less than 1% of all procedures.

But Canadians are willing to tolerate waiting for procedures. And the lines can be long, particularly for "lifestyle" issues. My father had to wait nearly a year to see a neurologist regarding a pinched nerve which caused him significant pain. My wife's uncle was scheduled to have stents implanted, and had to wait nine months before undergoing surgery, but that was only after he went into emergency complaining of chest pains, when he was then admitted.

I don't think Americans are willing to wait like Canadians are.

My aunt (living in Canada with her Canadian now ex-husband) needed a root canal--which is a pretty routine procedure. She was told it would be two MONTHS before she could see an oral surgeon. She went to the US (I recall to Buffalo)...it was done (everything: from calling to set up an appointment to the actual procedure) in less than a week.

If I had to wait a year to deal with a pinched nerve in my back, I'd probably eat a shotgun.

But holy fuck: waiting NINE MONTHS for a major cardiac problem?!?! It's a miracle he survived!

They didn't think it was critical at the time. They thought he had some time. If they thought it was critical, he would have been admitted. 99% of the time, Canadians don't wait for critical procedures.

It's waiting for things like my mother's knee replacement and getting a GP. My mother had to wait four months for a new knee - not bad. However, where she lives, there is a shortage of GPs. If you have a GP, it is very difficult to switch because about 10% of those in the area don't have one. People without one are given priority and are on a waiting list. She was very unhappy with her GP and her rehab but couldn't switch because the receptionists at the doctors' offices she called would tell her that they weren't taking patients who already have a GP.

Some of this is self-induced in Canada though. For example, to get a prescription re-filled, you have to see a doctor. Why? When I need a re-fill, I just call up CVS and do it automatically over the phone. But when my parents are given a 60 or 90 day supply of pills, they have to trudge back to the doctor's office. That's ridiculous. They can free up space by allowing people to re-fill over the phone.

Lakota what kosher girl does not understand is that not all of Canada had the same healthcare, 2 nd the united states does not have socialized medicine.

Also I know someone who got fired here in the USA, now she has no heathcare and she wanted too see dr. But never could cause she couldn't afford it. She died at 42 from breast cancer. We ration heath care here in the USA too. Just in a different way.

I've had root canals done the day after I called the dentist. If you're suffering some serious pain from an infected tooth, 2 months is an eternity to wait.

She could not eat solid food, drink anything hot or cold, speak coherently, or sleep for more than an hour or two (and that only with a dose of heavy-duty painkillers). She refused to drive because she was afraid she would either fall asleep at the wheel or hit a hard bump and pass out from the jolt. In the 2 weeks or so before actually getting the RC done, she lost almost 15lbs. The only reason it took more than a day or two was that the dentist and surgeon had to do a full work-up (full X-rays, a couple of tests, etc.), simply because she was a new patient.

Having said that, I recall he gave her a small Morrocaine shot in the first 5 minutes she was in the office.

When Bill Clinton years ago went into emergency heart surgery to fix some blockage a reporter in Toronto wrote an article that about 30 Canadians died waiting years for the same surgery despite knowing their problem years before Clinton's exam showed he needed surgery.

Canada has a system where you are funneled into holding pens like farm animals and it is up to you to survive the waiting list. Scumbag liberals want to force that upon all Americans.

Delayed medical attention is usually better than none at all.

True. However, since there has always been superior, prompt healthcare in this country, until now, your point is moot.

Ask an uninsured person in the US how prompt their medical care is. I know people living in Canada, and they love their healthcare system. That being said, it is not perfect, but many of their problems could be fixed by putting more money into the system. That is something that voters must decide though, since all of their health system is paid for through taxes. One thing to remember; they could choose to raise taxes to put more money into their health system, and they would still be spending much less than we do.

They also have a second option, and I do believe they are beginning to look at it as an alternative. Currently, private insurance is not allowed in Canada, unlike the UK. They could open up the insurance market to allow people to purchase supplemental policies. In the UK, people with private insurance usually get to jump to the head of the line when it comes to non-emergency or non-life saving procedures.

Uh, what right does an UNINSURED person have to healthcare? You are too stupid to understand how stupid you sound.

Uh, how prompt is the McDonalds food service for the bum with no money? Are bums allowed to walk up to a McDonalds and demand a Big Mac meal for FREE?

Oh, many so-called poor people without healthcare insurance have a car, HDTV, PS3, etc but they chose to spend their cash on their "fun stuff" not actual insurance for that random health problem.

Those people should sent a bill when they go to the hospital, even if that means they are bankrupt for life. Nobody should be rewarded with FREE healthcare because they happen to live in a country, they should earn it like in the military.

Delayed medical attention is usually better than none at all.

True. However, since there has always been superior, prompt healthcare in this country, until now, your point is moot.

Ask an uninsured person in the US how prompt their medical care is. I know people living in Canada, and they love their healthcare system. That being said, it is not perfect, but many of their problems could be fixed by putting more money into the system. That is something that voters must decide though, since all of their health system is paid for through taxes. One thing to remember; they could choose to raise taxes to put more money into their health system, and they would still be spending much less than we do.

They also have a second option, and I do believe they are beginning to look at it as an alternative. Currently, private insurance is not allowed in Canada, unlike the UK. They could open up the insurance market to allow people to purchase supplemental policies. In the UK, people with private insurance usually get to jump to the head of the line when it comes to non-emergency or non-life saving procedures.

Forum List

Back