It's 1971.

I'm probably working in a psych ward in a Navy hospital in Queens New York.

That or I'm sitting in a firetrap building (condemned in 1953 by the NYC firedepartment) that was the corpsman's dorm.

In that case, assuming I wasn't on duty, I'm probably playing Risk, listening to the Moody Blues on a $$30 casset player and getting drunk on cheap booze with my fellow corpsman.

Been in the Navy for two years... Having the time of my life... Everything was coming up roses...

I always wanted be a teen in the seventies, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

My kids once asked me what the 70's was like. I thought a moment, then replied
"better music, cheaper drugs, safer sex".
:thup:

Yeah losing that SAFE SEX thing was sort of tough on the newer generations, wasn't it?

I'm not sure the drugs were better, but they were a damned site cheaper, that's for sure. I didn't use drugs back then, but plenty of us did back in those days.

Most of us in uniform did back then, actually.

I was the exception to that rule.

I was a geeky 15 year old with thick glasses and a borrowed ten speed. Too afraid to talk to girls and worried about my acne

Just being honest....

Friday night. Where are you and what are you doing?

I'm in my metallic GTO, cruising up main street to the safeway store parking lot, flipping a bitch and going back down 10 blocks to the burger joint, flipping another bitch and cruising back up to the safeway again. Car has my girlfriends in it....smell of patchoulie and weed drifting from the open windows, tambourine being shaken in time to the tunes on the 8 track tape. Slowing down for guys in cars passing us to flirt, whoop, pass a quick joint, make arrangements to meet in the boondocks for some ripple wine,more joint passing and maybe some makeout time with whatever cute guy we happen to score. If we are really lucky, some guys in their military uniforms are cruising as well. Nothing is hotter than a man in uniform to my 19 year old mind.

So...where were you on a friday night in 1971?

Details, please.
Dating my first wife, if it's before May 22nd, home with my wife if after. If it's Friday, May 21st, I'm getting very drunk with my Best Man.

Slammin' a twelver' with a couple hotrod bro's, heading for the square to grease a few laps in the '67 Chevelle Malibu with a 327 out of a 'Vette in it, blue printed, balanced, stroked, bored and polished at Andre Auto makin' around 500 hp, find a race, head for E. Wash, blows his doors off and head back for the square. Fast old car in a drag...

67Chevelle1.jpg

67Chevelle2.jpg

Headed down to Myrtle beach for the weekend, at over 100 mph, in my 68 1/2 Mustang GT Fastback 428.
I usually had a couple elbows of herbal remedies for the rich murkin guys that were vacationing there with wifey/girlfriend.
Sometimes I'd ride my Trumpet, if it was in the summer..

wow...71....yea, I do remember that year...I was in a deep funk, Jim died that summer.....I got a lift from Pink Floyd who released Meddle late that year, so I was probably hunched over a bong in a friends basement whose parents had gone out for the night groovin' it in some state of bi-polar euphoric melancholy....:doubt::cool:

I enjoy the trip down memory lane with others there with me..in spirit. Thanks to those who joined in the journey and I hope it continues.

For those not yet born or in your cribs....sorry you missed out, lol.

Slammin' a twelver' with a couple hotrod bro's, heading for the square to grease a few laps in the '67 Chevelle Malibu with a 327 out of a 'Vette in it, blue printed, balanced, stroked, bored and polished at Andre Auto makin' around 500 hp, find a race, head for E. Wash, blows his doors off and head back for the square. Fast old car in a drag...

67Chevelle1.jpg

67Chevelle2.jpg

I woulda raced ya for pinks. I did a lot of that with my Goat. Problem is, the guys that ALWAYS lost never handed me theirs. :eek:

Well if it was real late '71 it's possible I was being conceived. (??) First sperm to the egg = "winning"!

Good music though, I admit.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back