Itchy puppy

switch her to purina lamb and rice....i am not a big fan of iams...
She eats only in the evening. Usually when I'm washing dinner dishes. I put out food for her each morning because I hate to leave her home with an empty dish. But, she'll nosh on a dog biscuit (Marrow Bone) at lunchtime and beg scraps from my lunch, yet she turns her nose up when I point out her food. then, after dinner, she'll walk into the kitchen and eat all that was put out for her.

have you considered the human quailtiy food? most likely she is having a reaction to corn and wheat coupled with yeast allergies...does she stink?

for a dog that small..i would just cook for it...you know dogs lived on table scraps for centuries

Anyone here have experience with miniature poodles? Mine stops and scratches nearly four times a minute! She has no fleas. Does she have an allergy maybe? Is this typical for the breed?

She's only nine months old and it's driving both of us crazy!

Nosmo, small dogs have small brains. Who knows why they do what they do? Get a man's dog, get a Dane.

Good grief, Danes are big dogs with small brains.

As well as short lifespans and multiple health issues.

My mom has poodles, I've had poodles, I LOVE them. They're smart, sweet and funny.

Our current dog is a terrier. She'll undoubtedly live forever, and while we have her, there are no other dogs. Other than the allergies (and being obsessive/compulsive) there are no health issues. She's insane, but she works for us. Currently we can't let her loose in the yard because our cat has 3 kittens (anyone want a kitten?) and she chases, catches, and tries to kill them. So I get to take her out on the leash all the time, it's great. Stupid cats! though she got out of the yard a couple of days ago and attacked some weird little poodle who staggered down the road at the wrong time. It was either old or had rabies, I'm hoping it was just old. She got it down and it thought it was dead. Or maybe it was just playing possum, possibly it gets attacked a lot. It didn't make any noise or anything. I pulled her off by her tail and it was fine but we had to encourage him to stand up and move on down the road.

Our dog (border collie mix) has been scratching off and on for a decent bit of the summer. Really, really itchy just before we went to the shore for a week (we took her with us) and it all subsided down there. Except for many walks a day, she was inside. I was suspicious of the febreeze I sprayed in the family room cause she likes to lie under the coffee table in there. I haven't used it but once since we've been back. She gets walked most everyday but also uses her place in the yard in the morning and evening. She was outside most of the day Monday cause we were both out doing yard stuff. She way laying in the grass for a good part of the time. Monday night she starts itching again, tufts of fur here, there and everywhere. All the itching is on her sides and stomach. I poke around . . . bug bites on her. I put a little cortisone on them to relief the itching and help dry them up. Seems to work.

NK, if your dog was one flea med did she still end up getting fleas when you came home with them?

Bones: She doesn't stink (her urine has a stronger than normal odor). I hardly cook for myself! If I don't unwrap it, I ain't eatin'! No matter what brand or flavor of dog food I serve her, she won't eat until evening. She does not get too hungry for dinner at eight!:lol:

Zoom: She had a pretty bad flea problem early in August. The weather was hot and humid and Daisy loves LOVES to run in the neighborhood cemetery, especially the big (4 or 5 acre) meadow without graves. I put the Frontline on her in mid-August and within two or three days i saw no more fleas. She's white and the fleas stand out well on her pink belly.

Allie: Daisy plays with every dog she sees. No matter how big or old or even aggressive, Daisy will try to make friends and run abound begging the other dogs to follow and play.

That's a concern as I take her off the lead when we go for a walk in the cemetery.

no stink means no yeast....you need to try to do this without all them shots....vets dont know much about canine foods....science diet teaches the small number of hours deciated to that.

no stink means no yeast....you need to try to do this without all them shots....vets dont know much about canine foods....science diet teaches the small number of hours deciated to that.
So, no yeast is good then, right? The allergy regimen is from a company called ACTT and the blood analysis was pretty thorough so I think we'll take the rest of the shots (two more at the once a week schedule and then it's every three weeks for the one after those and finally once a month until the dosage is up to the prescribed amount.)

Meanwhile, I keep a thorough log about Daisy. Her reactions, and behavior with the itching and any loss of coat along with when she is groomed, bathed and treated for fleas. I'm working like a dog for this dog trying my level best to keep her healthy and happy. The evidence is in her look as she runs and plays. To me, she looks like the picture of health. It's just when she's calmed down and sleepy that the itching gets to be a problem.

o i am not suggesting you dont finish this round...i am sure you have had her checked for all the obvious things...mites, manage and ringworm....damn there is supplement a lot of owners use....suppose to calm a dog....melantiona or something.....

she is lucky you care so much
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I'm coming back as a pampered miniature poodle. All I'd be responsible for is looking cute, playing, doing tricks for treats and learning how to ask to go outside. After that, everything is all gravy all the time!

If I had enough interest in it, I'd open a Facebook page just to share some pictures of her.

she is lucky you care so much
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I'm coming back as a pampered miniature poodle. All I'd be responsible for is looking cute, playing, doing tricks for treats and learning how to ask to go outside. After that, everything is all gravy all the time!

If I had enough interest in it, I'd open a Facebook page just to share some pictures of her.

just post the pics on here

My litle Schnauzer/Poodle mix was itchy as heck.

I feed Taste of the Wild which has no grain it at all so I know his itching wasn't caused by corn..

I recently went to Confortis, which is a prescription drug, for fleas. Murph no longer itchs at all.

Don't know if that would help your little dog but its worth a shot. It sure did the trick for little Murph.

My litle Schnauzer/Poodle mix was itchy as heck.

I feed Taste of the Wild which has no grain it at all so I know his itching wasn't caused by corn..

I recently went to Confortis, which is a prescription drug, for fleas. Murph no longer itchs at all.

Don't know if that would help your little dog but its worth a shot. It sure did the trick for little Murph.
Thanks, Claudette. Daisy was prescribed Genesis which is a spray for irritated skin conditions. I have to wear latex gloves when I spray it on her as it contains steroids which may be absorbed through my skin. It seems to keep the worst areas (the bare areas) cleared up well. Maybe it tastes bad and that's what keeps her form chewing it up. At any rate, when she gets the Genesis, she gets it twice daily for a week, and once daily for two weeks. She started that up on Saturday.

You might try Kenic's Emu Oil Spray. Although not listed as medicinal, emu oil is naturally healing. The Kenic's is very light and will not leave a greasy residue on the coat. It really seems to help especially when the skin is inflamed or irritated. A grain free like Taste of the Wild could also be a great choice for your baby.

Forum List

Back