Itchy puppy

try putting some peroxide on where she is scratching...see if it bubbles..but the infection would be 2nd i bet....to the underlying cause...i wonder if eggs are that good for her?

You sound like an above average dog owner with the exercise :) I would get her ears checked out though. For one - poodles are prone to ear problems due to hair in the ears and narrow canals, plus allergies will often go with yeast infections in the ears - it would be something you'd want to keep an eye on as they can flare up quickly. Poodles are such smart dogs too - I bet she loves learning :)
She does love learning! She learned to jump up onto my shoulders when I whistle (while I'm sitting on the floor)

i have noticed that when she scratches her ears, she stops and smells her rear paw (that did the scratching). Is she telling me there is an infection in there? Her ears are pink and clear of hair, but she pays special close attention to her scratching paw.

I'm not sure...but I'm thinking if she is scratching them, there might be something cooking - not a bad idea to check it out. Is there any odor?
I haven't noticed any odor in her ears.

try putting some peroxide on where she is scratching...see if it bubbles..but the infection would be 2nd i bet....to the underlying cause...i wonder if eggs are that good for her?

Her skin isn't red nor is her coat thinning. Peroxide on a cotton ball, or a bigger dose?

She gets only one egg a day, usually at noon when I come home for lunch.

I read somewhere that the most common allergins for food allergies in dogs are beef, chicken, eggs, dairy, soy, wheat, corn....

I have one dog that I keep on lamb and rice, he has multiple allergies and does well on it but I really have to read package ingredients very carefully - a lot of commercial foods claim to be lamb and rice but have other meat and carb sources in it as well.

Ingredients:
Water sufficient for processing, beef, chicken, liver, meat by-products, wheat gluten, carrots, peas, added color, artificial and natural flavors, natural filet mignon flavor, salt, carrageenan, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, soy flour, locust bean gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, zinc sulfate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, potassium iodide, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin.

chef michaels has wheat gulten....its the food...can you get annova?

Purple Ear Cleaner

Dixie Dog Ear Treatment

This ear cleaner is claimed to be the best for using on dogs subject to continuing ear infections. Unlike regular commercial cleaners, it is soothing on inflamed tissues.

Mix together the following:

16 oz. isopropyl alcohol
16 drops gentian violet (buy at pharmacy)
4 tablespoons boric acid powder
Put this into a pointed tip dispenser bottle, such as sold in beautician's supply stores. Squirt into each ear (just squirt into the ear, as deep in as possible- which is why you need the pointed tip dispenser...about a teaspoonful each time, maybe a little less) on the following schedule:

For a really bad infection, use 2x daily for 1 week - do not clean out ear. Then go to 1x a day for a week and start cleaning out ear. Once the infection is cleared up use once a month

You need to shake it up before using, to distribute the boric acid powder, which tends to settle. This really works...and it's cheap. For dogs who scratch their ears badly enough that the yeast infection spreads to their paws, you can leave out the gentian violet, because the color will get on their paws...but it best to use the entire recipe.

dogs with long hanging ears like my beagle, and poodles need careful regular cleaning done of their ears. I have a friend who has a big standard poodle and she sits and pulls the hair out of his ears all the time.

what kind of cut is she/he in....when was the last cut...what kinda shampoo are you using....are you using adams flea spray....we need some more details...does the skin flake...can you take a pic of where the scratching is going on and post it....could be a lot of things
She has a standard cut (short in the face, feet and butt, but consistent everywhere else) She is going to the groomer tomorrow, in fact. Her last bath was back on the 9th. She is on Frontline as a flea preventative. She had her last dose on the 19th as we have had a killing frost. Her diet is Eukanuba small breed puppy and Chef Michael's canned.

I haven't noticed any flaking skin, although I have recently spotted small tufts of her hair on some of the furniture and rugs.

She scrathes her throat, her back haunches, the base of the tail. When I bathe her, I use an oatmeal/aloe shampoo.

As Bones said, food could definately be your problem. Since Proctor & Gamble purchased the company, Eukanuba is not as good a food as it used to be. In order to simplify the diet as much as possible to help identify a food allergy, I'd recommend Natura's California Natural Lamb & Rice formula. It contains lamb, rice and safflower oil. You could also try Innova's EVO, which is a grain free product. If you really need a canned food try EVO or Wellness' CORE 95%.
Having said all that, while your pup could certainly be having a food allergy, I'd also suggest being aware of contact allergy issues. Often times we humans translate our own love of perfumes and softness to our dogs. Make sure your dog's bedding isn't washed with fabric softener or anything else that leaves a residue. Wash bedding in a mild detergent with a little bleach and rinse twice to be certain that all the soap is gone. Carpet powders.. Febreeze..floor dertergents can all impact our pets. Also, I'd recommend using a shampoo that is soap and detergent free. Kenic makes an excellent line and also has an Emu oil spray that works well in providing relief from non specific itching. They also have an Emu oil shampoo. If you suspect a grain allergy, an oatmeal shampoo might not be your friend. Emu oil has natural healing properties and is a better moisturizer anyway.
As to skin parasites or fungal infections, start with a careful examination of your dog's feet and head. Ringworm often presents as small bald patches on the feet or muzzle. Mange mites will often attack the tips of the ears. If you slide your fingers along the tips of your dog's ear and it feels crusty, you could be looking at mange.
Good luck.

My dog is allergic to beef and wheat products. That means no bone meal, any food with wheat additives or beef.

Who ever heard of a dog with fucking beef and wheat allergies? I feed her lamb/rice food, seems to help. I can tell when it has wheat in it though because she turns red and starts scratching. Can't feed her bread or burger. She LOVES oatmeal. Milk we avoid. If I'm not feeding dog food (which honestly, I don't think is that healthy) I feed her chicken, pork, rice, & oatmeal, she does great on it, no itching at all.

Some rice & lamb feeds she still itches on, I am supposing because they have wheat and/or bone meal.

I feed her straight pork and chicken, with a iittle oatmeal (a little means almost every morning) she gobbles it up and not itchies.

so what did the groomer say and is it worse after being clipped?
The groomer found three fleas! I did not see any fleas on her, but I have a nasty story...

I am the building inspector for the county. I inspected a house with four, count 'em four children under the age of six. When I came up from the basement, I noticed my ankles were itching. As I rolled my trouser cuffs up. I couldn't see where my socks ended and the flea infestation began! I did not know there were that many fleas on the planet! They were everywhere! Up to my armpits, around my back and clustered at my waist!

I called my office and told them I would not be in for the afternoon. I had to decontaminate myself. I drove straight to a hardware store and bought a box of flea bomb aerosol cans. I drove home and stripped to my skivvies in my drive way, tossed my clothes into the Explorer and set off a bomb inside. As I entered through my garage and into the kitchen, Daisy got excited and wanted up. I scolded her to discourage her and climbed into the shower.

Now, know this, she was itching before my Hitchcockian flea adventure.

Last night I picked up Daisy from the groomer and she was beautiful! She itched a bit, but i counted that up to the new haircut. This morning she was still sleeping soundly as I left for work. We'll see this evening if the itching has abated.

Thanks to everybody for all the input!

okay good thing that is over....now i would change foods...both of your foods are kinda suckie...

i feed purina one lamb and rice...and i feed to big dogs...so with a small one i would go with a lamb and rice....try purina...stop put the canned shit on her food...you are developing a picky eater...dogs and kids will never starve with food in front of them

Forum List

Back