Italy's PM to resign, forming new gov

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Wow, he was just denying this a few days ago.

Continued
Italy's PM to resign, form new government
Last Updated Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:49:24 EDT
CBC News
ROME - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said Wednesday he would resign in order to form a new, stronger government.

The prime minister had been under pressure to resign after parties in his coalition lost support in regional elections this month.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. "The regional elections showed a clear sign of discomfort, I want to give an adequate political response," Berlusconi told the country's Senate.

IceEyes said:
I think the Prime Minister of Italy has got to resign before changing parties in a coalition. Maybe it isn't such a big deal, - the resignation that is.

I think the pm changing parties and resigning before his term is up is a very big deal, especially when he was just denying rumours suggesting he was going to do just that.

Said1 said:
I think the pm changing parties and resigning before his term is up is a very big deal, especially when he was just denying rumours suggesting he was going to do just that.

Yes, I agree, changing of parties i a big deal. Just that the "resigning-part" might sound more drastic than it is.

IceEyes said:
Yes, I agree, changing of parties i a big deal. Just that the "resigning-part" might sound more drastic than it is.

Resigning to change parties is drastic. Why does appear to be worse than it is? Perhaps it's because his term is coming to an end? Something similar happened here with the present PM, but he didn't change parties, just resigned as minister of finance, then ran for PM himself a year or so later.

Forum List

Back