It’a a no-brainer: Trade Harper for Obama? PM has the anointed one beat, hands down

world

Rookie
Sep 6, 2012
By Brian Lilley ,Parliamentary Bureau

A few of my American friends have been asking lately if they can trade Barack Obama for Stephen Harper. Given polling on Obama’s popularity in Canada, most Canucks would likely take the deal but we’d be fools for doing so.

From his reaction on the turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa to his handling of the economy, Stephen Harper simply outshines Barack Obama whether Canadians realize it or not.

In an interview that aired on my television show Byline on Thursday night, Prime Minister Stephen Harper discussed issues with a calm maturity that Americans must hope Obama develops before he drives them and their economy over the cliff.

Canadians have never felt all warm and fuzzy about Stephen Harper to the same degree and in as great a number as they do about Barack Obama. Obama is cool, Harper is cold. Obama is slick, Harper is not. Obama is a soaring orator, Harper can give a good speech, but he’s never claimed he could heal the planet.

Yet for all of Obama’s coolness he is hardly a man of substance and that is where Harper has the anointed one beat, hands down.

Where Obama talks about fixing the U.S. economy, Harper has actually taken steps to strengthen Canada’s. The Canadian employment rate is 7.3% right now compared to 8.1% in the U.S., although as Harper himself and several economists have noted, if the Americans measured unemployment the same way we do they would be in the double digits.

I still argue the Harper government spends too much and should balance the budget sooner, a point on which Harper disagreed with me. “Our first objective is not balancing the budget, our first objective is to make sure the Canadian economy keeps growing,” Harper said.

Fair enough, that’s a point we could debate. What can’t be debated is that for all of Canada’s economic problems, the U.S. is much worse off. The U.S. federal government debt is worth more than the entire U.S. economy and neither Obama nor his allies in the Senate, which the Democrats control, have passed a budget in three years.
That’s not serious stuff.

Harper is also outshining Obama when it comes to foreign policy.

The Obama administration’s first reaction to the attack on their embassy in Cairo was to apologize for any hurt feelings Muslims may have had to a made-in-California movie with a negative portrayal of Mohammed.

Even after the White House backed away from that, Obama gave the idea that the riots sweeping the region are driven by a YouTube video few had seen, and he did so as he read a statement on the death of Chris Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya.

Obama has been effusive about the so-called Arab Spring from the get-go and thought his good wishes could sweep away dictators and bring about liberal democracies in a region that has never experienced that form of government.

“One should be very cautious about our expectations,” Harper said Thursday. “Mob rule is not democracy and just because there is a popular overthrow of a dictator does not mean the next regime will be based on democratic norms.”

Comparing the two men based on their actions and not their words can only lead to the conclusion that when Harper and Obama meet, Harper is the adult in the room.

Trading Harper for Obama wouldn’t be good for Canada, but it might be good for the rest of the world.

I am 100% agreement with this guy!

Where Obama talks about fixing the U.S. economy, Harper has actually taken steps to strengthen Canada’s. The Canadian employment rate is 7.3% right now compared to 8.1% in the U.S., although as Harper himself and several economists have noted, if the Americans measured unemployment the same way we do they would be in the double digits.

Nobody says that. The US and Canada do measure Unemployment the same way. There are 2 differences:
1. Canada surveys those 15 and older. US surveys 15 and older but only publishes 16 and older.
2. Canada does not require people expecting to start a job in the next 4 weeks to have looked for work in the previous 4 weeks to be classified as Unemployed. In 1994, the US dropped that exception.

There's no way in Hell those 2 differences would put the US rate into double digits.

According to Statistics Canada:
Adjusting the Canadian unemployment rate to US measurement differences lowers it by approximately one percentage point.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/71-543-g/71-543-g2012001-eng.pdf

Last edited:
Annointed one?

Someone has been watching too much Hannity.

Which is funny since Fox isn't allowed to broadcast in Canada. They made it against the law to knowingly broadcast "lies".

Only an ignorant asshole would describe the duly elected President of The United States as "the anointed one".

Now, watch how that appellation turns right around and falls on your head.

Check out this list.....see if you're capable of learning.

Let me know if you need more proof of how absolutely clueless you are......

6. The New York Time’s Judith Warner reported, “Many women- not too surprisingly – were dreaming about sex with the president [Obama]”.
Sometimes a President Is Just a President - NYTimes.com
7. “…the Obamas are not just a beacon of hope, inspiration and “demigodlikeness,” Ibid.

8. NBC’s Matt Lauer noted that “people” have called Obama “ ‘The Savior,’ ‘The Messiah,’ ‘The Messenger of Change,’ “ Today Show, NBC, October 20, 2008.

9. Andrea Mitchell- “but Obama is a rock star!" …” NBC’s Andrea Mitchell during MSNBC’s live coverage of the Democratic convention, July 27, 2004

10. “Obama seemed the political equivalent of a rainbow — a sudden preternatural event inspiring awe and ecstasy....” Time’s Joe Klein, October 23, 2006 cover story, "Why Barack Obama Could Be the Next President."

11. “…especially in Iowa, cradle of presidential contenders. Around here, they’re even naming babies after him."
— ABC Nightline co-anchor Terry Moran, Nov. 6, 2006

12. Obama is moving his audiences not just politically, but emotionally. Even some political commentators who’ve seen it all can’t help but gush.... — CBS’s Tracy Smith on the The Early Show, February 14.

13. "It’s almost hard to remain objective because it’s infectious…” — NBC reporter Lee Cowan in an MSNBC.com video about the Obama campaign posted January 7.

14. And today, the audacity of hope had its rendezvous with destiny. The Kennedy clan anointed Barack Obama a son of Camelot."
— ABC’s David Wright on the January 28 World News, reporting on Ted Kennedy’s endorsement of Obama.

15. Co-host John Roberts: "I want to just stipulate at the beginning of this interview, we are declaring a Reverend Wright-free zone today. So, no questions about Reverend Wright....Is that okay with you?" Barack Obama: "Fair enough. That sounds just fine."— CNN’s American Morning, May 5.

16. Host Howard Kurtz: "Are journalists rooting for the Obama story?"
The Politico’s John Harris, referring to the Washington Post: "It wouldn’t surprise me that there’s some of that....A couple years ago, you would send a reporter out with Obama, and it was like they needed to go through detox when they came back — ‘Oh, he’s so impressive, he’s so charismatic,’ and we’re kind of like, ‘Down, boy.’"— Exchange on CNN’s Reliable Sources, January 13.

17. "I think there is a problem, though, with the media gushing over him too much. I don’t think he thinks that he’s all that, but the media does. I mean, the [Democratic convention] coverage after, that I was watching, from MSNBC, I mean these guys were ready to have sex with him."
— HBO’s Bill Maher on Real Time, August 29.

18. Chris Matthews: "If you're in [a room] with Obama, you feel the spirit moving." Book Monitor (Current Edition)

19. George Stephanopoulos rhapsodized, "We have not seen this kind of combination of star power and brain power and political muscle this early in a cabinet in our lifetimes."
George Stephanopoulos: Obama Cabinet Unparalleled in 'Brain Power' | NewsBusters.org

20. Time's Nancy Gibbs who opened this week's cover story by comparing Obama with Jesus: “Some princes are born in palaces. Some are born in mangers. But a few are born in the imagination, out of scraps of history and hope...” In the November 17 issue.

21. Liberal beliefs were summarized by “Harold Koplewicz, president of the Child Mind Institute, a center for psychiatric research and clinical care in Manhattan, remembers watching Obama at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Fund Dinner in 2008, when the then-senator was a candidate. “It was truly extraordinary how much we expected Obama to do,” he says. “He was going to end war, end the recession, improve education, improve our image to the world, and provide universal health care. Whether or not he could actually do it wasn’t important. It was the belief in him that was.” Why Do American Voters Think Like Small Children? -- New York Magazine
22. Even going back to Andrew Jackson, father of the Democratic Party, we see the same kind of language used: “Was Jackson a rock star? Yes,… “He appeared to feel as a father surrounded by a numerous band of children,” one newspaper said, “happy in their affections and loving them with all a parent’s love.” http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/theater/24meacham.html More “staggering” crowds of admirers!

23. Today? Still mobs: the Hollywood celebrities pledge Go to 3:54: "I pledge to be a servant to our president and all mankind." Creepy? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0]Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher's I Pledge Video - YouTube[/ame]

24. “Elena Kagan ’81 … watched Walter Cronkite usher in the news that Democratic candidate Elizabeth Holtzman had lost the race for one of New York’s Senate seats. And then she sat down and wept.” Reserved passion: Kagan

25. “Time's Margaret Carlson …introduced Hillary to the nation in January 1992 as an "amalgam of Betty Crocker, Mother Teresa and Oliver Wendell Holmes," a woman who "discusses educational reform....then hops into her fuel-efficient car with her perfectly behaved daughter for a day of good works." Guest Comment on NRO

26. Lance Morrow in Time magazine, July 12, 1999, about Hillary: “Hillary as a new archetype (somewhere between Eleanor and Evita, transcending both) at a moment when the civilization pivots, at last, decisively—perhaps for the first time since the advent of Christian patriarchy two millenniums ago—toward Woman.

27. Obama won a Nobel Prize based on his first twelve days in office.

28. “The moment was vintage Obama - emphasizing his zest for inquiry, his personal involvement, his willingness to make the tough call, his search for middle ground. If an Obama brand exists, it is his image as a probing, cerebral president conducting an exhaustive analysis of the issues so that the best ideas can emerge, and triumph.” Obama and oil drilling: How politics spilled into policy

29. BARACK OBAMA has been voted the sexiest politician in the world. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/u...ed-world-s-sexiest-politician-86908-21009524/ [Ann Coulter referred to him as a ‘big-eared beanpole.’ The horror!]

Sure look like fools today, huh?

Maybe Bryce Harper if they throw in a relief pitcher

I've been spending a lot of time in Northern Ontario finishing off our hunting camp and have been seeing a fair amount on this guy, an I like him!!

Canada is lucky to have such a strong leader.

Forum List

Back