It

I thought the Nicholson Shining was an excellent adaptation.

to each his own- but imo, the ending fell real short.... steven king remade the shining himself & put it on TV because hef didn't like the original.

As I understand it, King didn't like the diversion the movie took from the book. The movie was great, though, so changing the story worked. Many of the adaptations of King's horror have been fairly crappy, so I'll take a divergent good film over a bad one that sticks to the novel. ;)

I had serious problems with the climax, and with Shelly Duvall as Wendy. Nicholson was perfect, as was Scatman Crothers. The adaptation worked up to the point Scatman returned to the hotel, then it completely collapsed.

That said, Kubrick was a bonafide genius. He's entitled to a screw-up or two. :laugh:

I thought Duvall added to the creepiness of the movie. Those wide, bugged-out eyes just made things that much scarier. :p

did you know that the scene when he was axing the door & said 'here's johnny' was ad libbed?

I think I have read that at some point or another. :)

I sometimes get sucked into those lists that pop up on Facebook, like "10 scenes that were unscripted, but too good to cut!" One of those told me that in Guardians of the Galaxy, when Peter Quill is handing the orb with the Infinity Stone to the Collector and drops it, that was accidental. It worked well in the movie, though. :p

From what I have read, a good deal of Thor: Ragnarok was ad-libbed. Apparently, the director likes that kind of movie making.

I don't even understand how this movie received good ratings.

It was very average, not scary, and felt a bit like Stranger Things...

Very bland and so so at best

Had the same kid as Stranger Things

Maybe they should have gotten Eleven to play Beverly Marsh

Dorky kids riding bikes, arguing and trying to be superheroes, sorry, no sale

Did you not know anything about the movie before watching? :p

Did you not know anything about the movie before watching? :p
Nope! I did read the book about 25 years ago!

I liked the book, will wait for the movie to view at home.

did you ever see the original made for TV movie?

I did not like the TV miniseries adaptation. Tim Curry was the high point, but I don't consider him to have the monopoly on Pennywise.

I plan to see the new one Wednesday.

Wow you people are a tough crowd. I loved the book, I loved the TV miniseries and the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I liked the book, will wait for the movie to view at home.

I did not like the TV miniseries adaptation. Tim Curry was the high point, but I don't consider him to have the monopoly on Pennywise.

i thought the tv version was closer to the book than many others that were made into film.

Do you mean closer than many other King adaptations? There have only been 2 versions of It that I know of.

ya- i meant other books that were turned into movies. too many deviations. alot of his books were so good, they should have stayed more true to what he wrote- the first 'shining' strayed from the book too much & the ending sucked.

Is there another version besides the J Nicholson one?
The Shining was so well done. Practically every scene in that movie was perfectly creepy.

ya- i meant other books that were turned into movies. too many deviations. alot of his books were so good, they should have stayed more true to what he wrote- the first 'shining' strayed from the book too much & the ending sucked.

I thought the Nicholson Shining was an excellent adaptation.

to each his own- but imo, the ending fell real short.... steven king remade the shining himself & put it on TV because hef didn't like the original.

As I understand it, King didn't like the diversion the movie took from the book. The movie was great, though, so changing the story worked. Many of the adaptations of King's horror have been fairly crappy, so I'll take a divergent good film over a bad one that sticks to the novel. ;)

I had serious problems with the climax, and with Shelly Duvall as Wendy. Nicholson was perfect, as was Scatman Crothers. The adaptation worked up to the point Scatman returned to the hotel, then it completely collapsed.

That said, Kubrick was a bonafide genius. He's entitled to a screw-up or two. :laugh:

I thought Duvall added to the creepiness of the movie. Those wide, bugged-out eyes just made things that much scarier. :p

For real...everything about her appears to be teetering off some edge. Then there is Nicholson, who IS the edge. lol

i thought the tv version was closer to the book than many others that were made into film.

Do you mean closer than many other King adaptations? There have only been 2 versions of It that I know of.

The Shining was so well done. Practically every scene in that movie was perfectly creepy.

yep. a 1997 tv mini series that king produced himself that it is based solely on his take of what the book was.

the 2nd video goes into king & the actor's thoughts about making it.

yep. a 1997 tv mini series that king produced himself that it is based solely on his take of what the book was.

the 2nd video goes into king & the actor's thoughts about making it.

I knew there were ill feelings between Kubrick and Jack Nicholson...not sure how I missed knowing about the first Shining.

New Topics

Forum List

Back