It will not be your great grandparents depression.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rcajun90, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rcajun90

rcajun90 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I was thinking today about what if the stimulus package doesn't work. I don't think it will but I do think it will be passed. If we spiral into another Great Depression I don't think it will resemble the 1930's. In the 30's we were mostly a rural country. People had values and morals. Can we say that about American society today as a whole? People have always been people and of course we had our drug addicts, rapists, murders etc .... from the beginning of time. Never before have we had such large segments of the population that lacked ethics and morals. I think another depression will be an event of biblical proportions.
    We have had it so good for so long I don't think our society would survive it.

I got a glimpse of our society breaking down after Katrina. There were untold murders, rapes and looting that will never be prosecuted. I live in the burbs of NOLA and returned home 4 days after the storm. I was not prepared for what I had to deal with. People ran the out lights going 100 miles per hour without regard for others. I will never forget at a light that was out, a 70 plus year old man giving the one finger salute to everyone he passed cursing away. The local Sheriff department had given us instructions to shoot looters and dump their bodies in the bayou behind the subdivision. In gasoline lines I never saw so many arguments and people waving their guns before. They also did this type of stuff in the FEMA MRE lines. In the city there were roving mobs looting, raping and murdering people.

You also had the exact opposite. Neighbors shared food and we took in my in-laws for over a month. Now they are riding high again so they don't talk to us. Such is the nature of people.

If one in four Americans lost their jobs and things became desperate, what do you think would happen? I think it would be like the LA riots and Katrina rapped into one big chaotic nation.

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    You dont think much of mankind do you?

3. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    a - i don't think people quite as bad as the cajun makes them out to be today.

b - i don't think people in the depression were quite as civil as cajun makes them out to be either

c - i sure as fuck hope this economy doesn't fall apart.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Its going to get REAL bad.

Some will get very evil and most will help each other.

Our predecessors all survived and so will we.

5. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    It won't be bad.

Our idea of a depression is living without cable.

6. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Ha good one.
    We will have to listen to O on the radio!!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. rcajun90

rcajun90 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well I think man is pretty much the same as he/she always has been. Not many of us have seen society breakdown. I'm sure folks in FLA after Andrew can relate when people were price gauging. There was one station which was about the last before hitting I-10 that was selling gas at 12.00 a gallon. It took some people 5-10 hours to get out of New Orleans. Could you imagine running out of gas with your family in the car in grid lock. That station owner was taking advantage of peoples misery. I'm sure soldiers can tell you about the true nature of mankind. When people kick it into survival mode you might be surprised how they are. Like I said I was totally unprepared for the world I entered in. Once I had enough food and water and got to really take it in it was interesting. It brought out the best and worst in people. Mostly the worst. I don't know but I think it will be a lot like hell on Earth.

8. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Too funny!

LOL!!!

9. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    As long as I have high speed internet and cable, I could live in a cave.

10. rcajun90

rcajun90 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You probably wont have to get rid of cable entirely but you might have to get rid of HBO. Oh the pain.:lol: