It will not be your great grandparents depression.

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
I was thinking today about what if the stimulus package doesn't work. I don't think it will but I do think it will be passed. If we spiral into another Great Depression I don't think it will resemble the 1930's. In the 30's we were mostly a rural country. People had values and morals. Can we say that about American society today as a whole? People have always been people and of course we had our drug addicts, rapists, murders etc .... from the beginning of time. Never before have we had such large segments of the population that lacked ethics and morals. I think another depression will be an event of biblical proportions.
We have had it so good for so long I don't think our society would survive it.

I got a glimpse of our society breaking down after Katrina. There were untold murders, rapes and looting that will never be prosecuted. I live in the burbs of NOLA and returned home 4 days after the storm. I was not prepared for what I had to deal with. People ran the out lights going 100 miles per hour without regard for others. I will never forget at a light that was out, a 70 plus year old man giving the one finger salute to everyone he passed cursing away. The local Sheriff department had given us instructions to shoot looters and dump their bodies in the bayou behind the subdivision. In gasoline lines I never saw so many arguments and people waving their guns before. They also did this type of stuff in the FEMA MRE lines. In the city there were roving mobs looting, raping and murdering people.

You also had the exact opposite. Neighbors shared food and we took in my in-laws for over a month. Now they are riding high again so they don't talk to us. Such is the nature of people.

If one in four Americans lost their jobs and things became desperate, what do you think would happen? I think it would be like the LA riots and Katrina rapped into one big chaotic nation.

a - i don't think people quite as bad as the cajun makes them out to be today.

b - i don't think people in the depression were quite as civil as cajun makes them out to be either

c - i sure as fuck hope this economy doesn't fall apart.

Its going to get REAL bad.

Some will get very evil and most will help each other.

Our predecessors all survived and so will we.

It won't be bad.

Our idea of a depression is living without cable.

You dont think much of mankind do you?

Well I think man is pretty much the same as he/she always has been. Not many of us have seen society breakdown. I'm sure folks in FLA after Andrew can relate when people were price gauging. There was one station which was about the last before hitting I-10 that was selling gas at 12.00 a gallon. It took some people 5-10 hours to get out of New Orleans. Could you imagine running out of gas with your family in the car in grid lock. That station owner was taking advantage of peoples misery. I'm sure soldiers can tell you about the true nature of mankind. When people kick it into survival mode you might be surprised how they are. Like I said I was totally unprepared for the world I entered in. Once I had enough food and water and got to really take it in it was interesting. It brought out the best and worst in people. Mostly the worst. I don't know but I think it will be a lot like hell on Earth.

Doom's Day! The sky is falling! Repent the end is near!
Cajun, dude, calm down.
I don't think humanity is going to get worse.

What makes you think that rural people are somehow more moral?
I live in the country and, trust me, people act like people everywhere.
Country folk are no more moral then city folk.

Doom's Day! The sky is falling! Repent the end is near!
Cajun, dude, calm down.
I don't think humanity is going to get worse.

What makes you think that rural people are somehow more moral?
I live in the country and, trust me, people act like people everywhere.
Country folk are no more moral then city folk.

I was talking in reference to 80 plus years ago. People back then didn't lock their doors and the kids could play outside without much fear of being kidnapped. I grew up in a very rural area and I did not mean to say that people are more moral in the country. However you are less likely to screw over someone when you know their mom, dad etc... There were a few real live robbers and general terrible people in that small community. We live in a society today where it is rare you know your neighbor because of all the transition in our highly mobile society. I live in a subdivision and out of 10 homes down my colvasac I know 3 of those people by name because they have lived there for the 13 years I've been here. You are kind of getting me sidetracked.

Would you argue our society today is just as moral as it was in the 1930's? With every passing generation I believe things get worse. I believe we live in a very fragile society and a depression would push it over the edge. People today get angry when they don't get what they want and they get crazy when they don't get what they need. Heck people today get crazy waiting in line. Could you imagine a soup kitchen line today with thousands waiting?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html

2 Arrested In Road-Rage Incident Near School - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

Motorists trade shots in road rage incident | Jacksonville.com

FOXNews.com - Woman Charged With 'Line Rage' Beating at Disney World - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The Cynic's Sanctuary

More Moral is equal to less opportunity for shenannigans. The real problem here is that too many of us simply don't have the first clue how to grow a garden or even live somewhere where such is even a possibility. How manyu of you can sew your own clothing if push comes to shove?

More Moral is equal to less opportunity for shenannigans. The real problem here is that too many of us simply don't have the first clue how to grow a garden or even live somewhere where such is even a possibility. How manyu of you can sew your own clothing if push comes to shove?

That is part of the reason I'm worried. My father built his dream house with his own hands on the weekends from the foundation on up. He built 25 foot boats for fun and repaired his own cars. His job didn't have anything to do with construction or auto mechanics. I can't do any of that stuff. Nor have I had to do with out. He grew up during the Great Depression and fought WW II. That was truly Americas greatest generation.

We have such a specialized society and we have had it so easy for so long I really wonder what would happen if our economy collapsed. I think the fact that it doesn't seem like anyone is panicking over a trillion dollar bailout is because we can imagine not having electricity or food to eat with no hope in sight. I include myself in that. I can't imagine it but I fear we will see the true nature of man.

Funny. I was raised eating out of a garden. We canned every year, and gleaned much fruit from abandoned orchards. Hunting and fishing was not sport, but how you obtained cheap meat. Sew my own clothes? Sure, with or without a sewing machine. Interesting, I have a treadle sewing machine in perfect condition, with all the attachments. For anyone that has never seen or used one of these machines, they are a marvel of engineering.

I have spent most of my life as an industrial millwright. And moonlighted by building additions onto houses for freinds. My hobby is geology, and I have explored many areas in Eastern Oregon that have produced gold in the past, and still have a good deal there. LOL. I will not like the economics of the next few years, but do not fear them for myself.

This thread reminds me of the soon to be celebrated, "Presidents Day."

More Moral is equal to less opportunity for shenannigans. The real problem here is that too many of us simply don't have the first clue how to grow a garden or even live somewhere where such is even a possibility. How many of you can sew your own clothing if push comes to shove?

That is part of the reason I'm worried. My father built his dream house with his own hands on the weekends from the foundation on up. He built 25 foot boats for fun and repaired his own cars. His job didn't have anything to do with construction or auto mechanics. I can't do any of that stuff. Nor have I had to do with out. He grew up during the Great Depression and fought WW II. That was truly Americas greatest generation.

We have such a specialized society and we have had it so easy for so long I really wonder what would happen if our economy collapsed. I think the fact that it doesn't seem like anyone is panicking over a trillion dollar bailout is because we can imagine not having electricity or food to eat with no hope in sight. I include myself in that. I can't imagine it but I fear we will see the true nature of man.
I hear you r cajun. I really don't think most get what may be coming. They have not lived through really tough times and their parents didn't fully share their stories. Now those parents are gone and the next generation will learn.

Some of this can be laid at the feet of our parents/grandparents. They didn't realize or didn't want to dredge up really hard times. Perhaps because I'm in my 50's and my parents would have been in their very late 80's, they did share, later than earlier. My dad entered the world in 1920, my mom in 1922. They were 'tweens' at the onset of the Great Depression, but children of immigrants. They had little before and less after '29.

Interesting was their past, my mom's mom, 12 year old from Ireland, committed to a family on Beacon Hill in Boston. She was to teach the 7-9 year olds, "King's English", being a convent taught student. The older brother fell in love with her, gave her an engagement ring, 2 carat. She refused, as 'not of right ties.' Refused the ring, but the brother wouldn't take it back. Some of my cousins have feuded about that ring. It's still in the 'family.'

This thread reminds me of the soon to be celebrated, "Presidents Day."

More Moral is equal to less opportunity for shenannigans. The real problem here is that too many of us simply don't have the first clue how to grow a garden or even live somewhere where such is even a possibility. How many of you can sew your own clothing if push comes to shove?

I hear you r cajun. I really don't think most get what may be coming. They have not lived through really tough times and their parents didn't fully share their stories. Now those parents are gone and the next generation will learn.

Some of this can be laid at the feet of our parents/grandparents. They didn't realize or didn't want to dredge up really hard times. Perhaps because I'm in my 50's and my parents would have been in their very late 80's, they did share, later than earlier. My dad entered the world in 1920, my mom in 1922. They were 'tweens' at the onset of the Great Depression, but children of immigrants. They had little before and less after '29.

Interesting was their past, my mom's mom, 12 year old from Ireland, committed to a family on Beacon Hill in Boston. She was to teach the 7-9 year olds, "King's English", being a convent taught student. The older brother fell in love with her, gave her an engagement ring, 2 carat. She refused, as 'not of right ties.' Refused the ring, but the brother wouldn't take it back. Some of my cousins have feuded about that ring. It's still in the 'family.'

:clap2: You really get what I'm saying. I don't know if the 20-40 somethings get it. BTW I'm in that group. I have never except during Katrina had to do without the basics. I still remember about two weeks after the storm with the inlaws calling Dominio's Pizza and looking in amazement when they came to my door.:lol: That is nothing compared to the Greatest Generation. Those that are in their 80's are really a different breed of men. They are like the old Cowboys. There ain't to many of those types of folks at Starbucks.

It sounds like you have a heck of an interesting family. BTW what's the difference between "King's English and convent"? I'm a college grad but I've never heard that stuff before.

:clap2: You really get what I'm saying. I don't know if the 20-40 somethings get it. BTW I'm in that group. I have never except during Katrina had to do without the basics. I still remember about two weeks after the storm with the inlaws calling Dominio's Pizza and looking in amazement when they came to my door.:lol: That is nothing compared to the Greatest Generation. Those that are in their 80's are really a different breed of men. They are like the old Cowboys. There ain't to many of those types of folks at Starbucks.

It sounds like you have a heck of an interesting family. BTW what's the difference between "King's English and convent"? I'm a college grad but I've never heard that stuff before.

Interesting family to say the least. My mom's first cousin, the private secretary of Richard M. Daleym (Mame Mullen). By marriage, the aunt of one of my cousins, Rosemary Woods, the contortionist of Nixon presidency. Yes, interesting.

Like many Irish/immigrants my family clawed their way out of obscurity.

I was thinking today about what if the stimulus package doesn't work. I don't think it will but I do think it will be passed. If we spiral into another Great Depression I don't think it will resemble the 1930's. In the 30's we were mostly a rural country. People had values and morals. Can we say that about American society today as a whole? People have always been people and of course we had our drug addicts, rapists, murders etc .... from the beginning of time. Never before have we had such large segments of the population that lacked ethics and morals. I think another depression will be an event of biblical proportions.

I got a glimpse of our society breaking down after Katrina. There were untold murders, rapes and looting that will never be prosecuted. I live in the burbs of NOLA and returned home 4 days after the storm. I was not prepared for what I had to deal with. People ran the out lights going 100 miles per hour without regard for others. I will never forget at a light that was out, a 70 plus year old man giving the one finger salute to everyone he passed cursing away. The local Sheriff department had given us instructions to shoot looters and dump their bodies in the bayou behind the subdivision. In gasoline lines I never saw so many arguments and people waving their guns before. They also did this type of stuff in the FEMA MRE lines. In the city there were roving mobs looting, raping and murdering people.

You also had the exact opposite. Neighbors shared food and we took in my in-laws for over a month. Now they are riding high again so they don't talk to us. Such is the nature of people.

If one in four Americans lost their jobs and things became desperate, what do you think would happen? I think it would be like the LA riots and Katrina rapped into one big chaotic nation.

Even if we move beyond a recession, there are now many built in safeguards that will help. People will still be able to buy food and find some type of shelter. I'm not trying to sugar coat it, but it is unlikely to ever be as bad as the Great Depression.

Your point is well taken though. I'm sure that even with a drawn out recession, crime is likely to increase. I guess we'll have to wait to see how this all plays out.

Even if we move beyond a recession, there are now many built in safeguards that will help. People will still be able to buy food and find some type of shelter. I'm not trying to sugar coat it, but it is unlikely to ever be as bad as the Great Depression.

Your point is well taken though. I'm sure that even with a drawn out recession, crime is likely to increase. I guess we'll have to wait to see how this all plays out.

Cool. Please, put up the links to these miracles.

Forum List

Back