it will be tea party or republican....who is the tea party gonna drain votes from?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
just a comment...a small aside...

as the conservatives or whatever they are called...rally around the tea party...(all what few thousand of you) have you considered what party you will damage?

it will not be the democratic party, it will be the republican party. seems 3rd parties always pull votes off the republicans and this party most certainly will as it bills itself as the true americans etc...

so does anyone find it ironic that the tea party may aid the democrats?

of course you're right about the tea baggers pulling votes from the repubs.

but not all "third party" votes take from repubs.. don't forget, Ralph Nader probably did damage to the dems in 2000

Why assume that this movement is going to drain votes? They might actually be the group to put some over the top. What I find interesting is the old mind set which simply does want to even consider anything new. Yes, in the past different groups or movements have drained votes from one party to help another, but, this group seems to be defining its self fairly well, so if a GOP front runner wishes to gain their support and still keep their GOP base, it seems that they have a clear line to follow.

I would also take caution in making light of their numbers and how that might play out at the voting booth.

Nevertheless, the climate today is a bit different from the traditional, so over the next several election cycles it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think we will see both parties making efforts to redefine themselves and possibly making more of an effort to interact better with those they serve. Maybe if anything some can grow beyond party politics!

Mike

Tea Baggers will do three things.

1. Draw votes from mainstream Republican candidates

2. Force mainstream Republicans to accept unwinnable platforms

3. Ensure the election of marginal Democrats

rfrom what i am reading...the tea party is setting up to run against REPUBLICANS

as for making light of their numbers....why is stating a fact making light....palin spoke to what...600 people? that is hardly a sweeping movement....there are more than that at legal pot rallies...but i digress....

this party will do nothing but drain votes from conservatives...who are just fed up with the gop....its not gonna attract your moderates or your liberals...they will write those votes off totally and go after former gop voters...

jillian please...i am trying to forget nader and what he did ...and what happened due to what he did....

valet my corvair please

'Tea party' movement faces uncertain future - More politics- msnbc.com

Some would-be attendees balked at the $549 ticket price and Sarah Palin's $100,000 fee to give the keynote address Saturday night, worried the cost was sullying the grass-roots image and preventing activists from attending. Two featured speakers — Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee — pulled out, citing ethics concerns

for profit....as in matching funds? like david duke?

Why assume that this movement is going to drain votes? They might actually be the group to put some over the top. What I find interesting is the old mind set which simply does want to even consider anything new. Yes, in the past different groups or movements have drained votes from one party to help another, but, this group seems to be defining its self fairly well, so if a GOP front runner wishes to gain their support and still keep their GOP base, it seems that they have a clear line to follow.

I would also take caution in making light of their numbers and how that might play out at the voting booth.

Nevertheless, the climate today is a bit different from the traditional, so over the next several election cycles it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think we will see both parties making efforts to redefine themselves and possibly making more of an effort to interact better with those they serve. Maybe if anything some can grow beyond party politics!

Mike
Over the course of the last 40 or so years, the Republican party has moved further and further to the right. That occurred because extremists had no other place to go. Now that they do, they will abandon the Republican part in favor of the Tea Party. This will hurt the Republicans in the short run but might allow them to reclaim some credibility eventually.

Mike

It is?

Mike
Over the course of the last 40 or so years, the Republican party has moved further and further to the right. That occurred because extremists had no other place to go. Now that they do, they will abandon the Republican part in favor of the Tea Party. This will hurt the Republicans in the short run but might allow them to reclaim some credibility eventually.

Consider the Demoratic Party split in 1948 and 1964, in both cases the Democratic candidate won the election easily beating third party candidates who had split with the national party.
I don't believe the Tea Party is much different than the American Independent movement by Wallace, Maddox, et al in 1964, or the State's Rights Democratic Party lead by Thurman in 1948. Both of these and the Tea Party stand for State's Rights, Social Conservativism and Racial Segregation (though the last is unasserted today). All three are fringe parties whose followers are members of the long established idiot fringe of American Politics.

Last edited:

as the conservatives or whatever they are called...rally around the tea party...(all what few thousand of you) have you considered what party you will damage?

it will not be the democratic party, it will be the republican party. seems 3rd parties always pull votes off the republicans and this party most certainly will as it bills itself as the true americans etc...

Well except for the fact the tea party MOVEMENT isn't a political party it's a loosely organized group of political activist organizations. It's not like your going to see candidates on the ballot listed as "Tea Party"..............

Well except for the fact the tea party MOVEMENT isn't a political party it's a loosely organized group of political activist organizations. It's not like your going to see candidates on the ballot listed as "Tea Party"..............

They prefer Tea Baggers

teabagger.jpg

They prefer Tea Baggers

Just curious, does your existence involve anything other than wasting bandwidth with your vapid commentary?

I know that every goober who can hold up a sign has been on TV spouting whatever passion drove him/her to the rally, but what platform planks are you speaking of?

This thing is so disorganized at this point that finding a platform that is officially adopted is a tad impossible. Have you found one?

rfrom what i am reading...the tea party is setting up to run against REPUBLICANS

as for making light of their numbers....why is stating a fact making light....palin spoke to what...600 people? that is hardly a sweeping movement....there are more than that at legal pot rallies...but i digress....

this party will do nothing but drain votes from conservatives...who are just fed up with the gop....its not gonna attract your moderates or your liberals...they will write those votes off totally and go after former gop voters...

jillian please...i am trying to forget nader and what he did ...and what happened due to what he did....

valet my corvair please

I'm not sure that there is not something for everyone in this. So far, it's like the Big 0's campaign: There's everything for everyone.

If this party ends up being a party to stop wasteful spending and other ideas subordinate themselves to that overarching principle, it will attract people from all points on the political spectrum save the Big 0's core supporters.

Mike

So your thesis is that the party that promised to control spending, then incresed it, that promised to shrink government then grew it and promised to reduce corruption then bathed in political sewage has moved to the right of Reagan?

Cue the circus music.

Distinguishing the antics of one party in power from the other can be achieved only by reading the letter following the name of the minority party member who is criticizing.

I know that every goober who can hold up a sign has been on TV spouting whatever passion drove him/her to the rally, but what platform planks are you speaking of?

This thing is so disorganized at this point that finding a platform that is officially adopted is a tad impossible. Have you found one?

Not all Republicans get to run in Ruby Red states. Some are trying to win in the northeast and western states where the voting public is more moderate

Some of those platforms include:
- Gay marriage
- Abortion
- Second amendment issues
- Healthcare

TeaBaggers will shout down any Republican who speaks in favor of modifying our healthcare or reaching a compromise with the Dems. Same goes for Gay Marriage and pro-choice

Forum List

Back