It will be Republican Chuck Hagel 4 Defense Secretary: Whoo Hoo! Fight is on.

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
Obama expected to nominate Chuck Hagel as secretary of Defense - latimes.com
WASHINGTON — President Obama is expected to nominate Chuck Hagel, a former Republican senator and Vietnam veteran, to be secretary of Defense, officials said, setting up a confirmation battle with lawmakers and interest groups critical of his views on Israel and Iran.

White House officials said Friday afternoon that the president hadn’t formally offered the job to Hagel, but others familiar with the process said that the announcement could come as soon as Monday

By nominating a Republican to run the Defene Department, Obama gives his second-term national security team a bipartisan cast at a time when the White House is rapidly winding down the war in Afghanistan and planning for even deeper cuts in the defense budget.

It will be Republican Chuck Hagel 4 Defense Secretary: Whoo Hoo! Fight is on.

Watch the GOP eat it's own over this one. And the US Senate will see the GOP ranks split over this.

:eusa_clap:

politics aside, Hagel is as qualified as any other potential nominee. :cool:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ense-secretary-nominee-obama-panetta/1810195/

Chuck Hagel, if approved by the Senate, would succeed Leon Panetta.

Obama will announce the choice Monday
Hagel was a Republican senator from Nebraska
He is likely to face stiff opposition from Republicans and Democrats in the Senate

WASHINGTON -- President Obama plans on Monday to nominate Chuck Hagel, the former Republican senator from Nebraska and Vietnam War veteran, to lead the Pentagon as Defense secretary, according to two sources familiar with the nomination process.

Hagel, 66, served two terms in the Senate from 1997 to 2009, and led an Army infantry squad in Vietnam in 1968. He was wounded in action there and received two Purple Hearts. An administration source confirmed that Hagel's nomination would be announced Monday. Both sources spoke on condition of anonymity because it had not been officially announced.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight. Dante supports the Nomination of a guy who once publicly said someone being gay made them not qualified to serve in any capacity?

So, let me get this straight. Dante supports the Nomination of a guy who once publicly said someone being gay made them not qualified to serve in any capacity?

Yes. People change. Dante judges people by their actions as well as their words. Given what we know of Hagel, he is an honorable man. Not being PC I can see nothing wrong with supporting his nomination

I can't see any legitimate reason for Republicans to be opposing Hagel. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Does the term "eat it's own" in a political context translate to accepting someone strictly because of his party affiliation rather than suitability for the job? That's the way it works in the democrat party anyway. There is no tolerance for dissension in the ranks of the democrat party on anything. Senator Joe Lieberman is a perfect example. The veteran democrat senator was even nominated by his own party to run for Vice President and when it appeared that his views were becoming too moderate the democrats kicked him out of the party.

Does the term "eat it's own" in a political context translate to accepting someone strictly because of his party affiliation rather than suitability for the job? That's the way it works in the democrat party anyway. There is no tolerance for dissension in the ranks of the democrat party on anything. Senator Joe Lieberman is a perfect example. The veteran democrat senator was even nominated by his own party to run for Vice President and when it appeared that his views were becoming too moderate the democrats kicked him out of the party.

I don't think you understand how this sort of thing works.

Political parties are self-defined. The Democratic Party can't "kick" someone out.

Lieberman LOST the Democratic Primary, which is why he left the Democratic Party.

Hagel has said some things I agree with in the past, but if Obama's nominating him I have to assume that he's going to follow the administration line and do whatever Obama tells him. The only way I'd be impressed by this appointment would be if he very publicly declined it on account of Obama's warmongering.

Hagel has said some things I agree with in the past, but if Obama's nominating him I have to assume that he's going to follow the administration line and do whatever Obama tells him. The only way I'd be impressed by this appointment would be if he very publicly declined it on account of Obama's warmongering.

Hagel is just as much of a war hawk as Obama is.

I left the Democratic party partly because of what happened with Joe. But make no mistake about it, the DNC is a more open tent party than the GOP. To deny that is to deny reality. Progressives on the left may have taken over control of many levers in the party, but they have not chased out and hounded others as have right wingers in the GOP done.

The Democrats have not marched lock step with Obama as the GOP marched lock step with GOP Presidents. It is a criticism conservatives make of the DNC, that they are usually too fragmented.

No, he doesn't support the "all options on the table" nonsense in regards to Iran that Obama does. He's said a war with Iran would be a disaster in the past. Of course, I'm sure he'll change his mind during the confirmation hearings.

No, he doesn't support the "all options on the table" nonsense in regards to Iran that Obama does. He's said a war with Iran would be a disaster in the past. Of course, I'm sure he'll change his mind during the confirmation hearings.

I don't see a "war" with Iran coming. I could be wrong though.

Forum List

Back