"It wasn't a Mortgage Recession after all"?...

i just wonder why we do not learn from their mistakes. Clinton forced banks into sub-prime lending...which lead directly to the collapse....now the new guy is trying to prop up the same folks. All that can happen is a temporary boost in a surge of buys, followed by foreclosures because they could not afford the homes they were enabled to buy. it is the same story with different characters

It Wasn't a Mortgage Recession After All: So Why Don't We Feel Better?

Interesting Take...

Incomplete, but Interesting.

:)

peace...

Good for you, Macontent.

I've been saying all along that the subprime mortgage problem was merely the snowball that started the avalanche.

...subprime mortgage securitization was a mess -- a house of cards probably doomed to fall -- but subprime by itself simply wasn't big enough to put the entire financial system at risk. That required a failure of the Renew Sale and Repurchase (REPO) market for collateralized securities that over the last 30 years had come to backstop global finance.

The problem here, of course is that hardly anyone has even heard of REPO, which manages to be an unregulated, uninsured $20 trillion business that is absolutely essential to keeping money flowing in the world. Subprime is only $1.2 trillion -- not big enough by itself to wag this dog.

According to Gorton, the entire basis of global banking changed in the 1980s, thanks to money market funds and junk bonds, which took all the profit out of being a traditional bank. So banks began securitizing loans to regain those lost profits.

Note that bankers almost had no choice but to get into RISKIER investing?

Once we deregulated banks such that they COULD invest in these high risk investments, they really had almost NO CHOICE.

If their CEOs hadn't taken those BETS, their return on investments wouldn't have been as high as banks that were taking those bets.

So, because the market looks down the road only about 6 months, they weren't allowed to play it safe.

REGULATIONS could have prevented this collapse.

But we removed those regulations during the CLINTON administration (and some part of those regulations even before he took office).

Every lesson we learned in the 1930s?

We elected to forget.

But beware of these ads offering mortgage fixes. My daughter got a call from the Washington state attorney general yesterday regarding a mortgage scam that had been operating for awhile. Fortunately, my daughter fought hard to get their money back from this outfit but a lot of people weren't that lucky.

New Topics

Forum List

Back