it wasn't a bow.............

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
The White House is denying that the president bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at a G-20 meeting in London, a scene that drew criticism on the right and praise from some Arab outlets.

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Ben Smith's Blog: White House: No bow to Saudi - POLITICO.com

too funny.......

Attachments

• $capt_773ffd671ed94927aa537d663380c4cd_britain_g20_palace_lon305.jpg
    $capt_773ffd671ed94927aa537d663380c4cd_britain_g20_palace_lon305.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The White House is denying that the president bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at a G-20 meeting in London, a scene that drew criticism on the right and praise from some Arab outlets.

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

too funny.......
sure looks like either a bow or a curtsy to me

too funny.......

Reminds me of that song " Don't beleve your lying eyes." :lol::lol::lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWi6hdLk8pw[/ame]

Last edited:
Not saying one way or the other here, but a bow is a universal "hello" which more countries recognize than anything else. This is why I see it as another "non-issue".

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity."

i don't recall him bending over to meet the queen when he used both hands to shake her hand......

Attachments

• $obama.jpg
    $obama.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 212
"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity."

i don't recall him bending over to meet the queen when he used both hands to shake her hand......[/QUOTE]

Zing-a-ling-a-ding-dong and she's all of two feet high.. :eusa_whistle:

Not saying one way or the other here, but a bow is a universal "hello" which more countries recognize than anything else. This is why I see it as another "non-issue".

the president bowing to a king......is a non issue.....why issue a denial of what sure looks like a bow.....when it doesn't matter.....

where is jon lovitz character " the liar" when you need him......

i agree its not a big issue, but why did they then have to lie about it if it wasnt a problem

and does another know if any previous POTUS has bowed for him?

too funny.......

Whew. This one is a tough one for me.

It sure was a bow. Totally.

But I'm willing to cut him this much slack: if this is part of a calculated effort to get the support of Turkey, which is moving away from a secular stance, then the guy gets a pass.

That's how important Turkey is to our foreign position. We need this stratigic ally to block Russia in the Caucasus, pressure Iran and help us get supplies to Afghanistan.

How will we know? See if Turkey works out a treaty with Armenia.

If these dominoes don't fall into place, they it was a move which continues an anti-American, thoughtless act of an incompetent who should never, never have been elected to occupy the hallowed Oval Office.

I'm an American. I'm hoping for choice A.

too funny.......

Whew. This one is a tough one for me.

It sure was a bow. Totally.

But I'm willing to cut him this much slack: if this is part of a calculated effort to get the support of Turkey, which is moving away from a secular stance, then the guy gets a pass.

That's how important Turkey is to our foreign position. We need this stratigic ally to block Russia in the Caucasus, pressure Iran and help us get supplies to Afghanistan.

How will we know? See if Turkey works out a treaty with Armenia.

If these dominoes don't fall into place, they it was a move which continues an anti-American, thoughtless act of an incompetent who should never, never have been elected to occupy the hallowed Oval Office.

I'm an American. I'm hoping for choice A.
um, this wasnt the leader of Turkey, it was the king of Saudi Arabia

Arab Culture - Greeting gestures

Question
In our western culture bowing is often seen a offer supplication. When two leaders meet and greet and one bows to the other while they are shaking hands is that interpreted as an offer of supplication as it is likely to be seen in our western heritage?

Answer
Greetings Richard, and thanks for your question. I would probably say that bowing these days is more a gesture of respect than supplication. The person who bows most deeply is showing a greater level of respect. Sometimes two leaders get into a 'match' about bowing, which usually ends in laughter and handshakes.

Arab Culture: Greeting gestures, western heritage, gesture of respect

...American etiquette expert Gloria Starr, who has met the King's wife and hosted two of their daughters in her finishing schools, told smh.com.au there was nothing wrong with Mr Obama's display of deference.

"I think it was a sign of respect and in no way diminishes the ranking of the President or indicates the greater strength of the one being bowed to," Ms Starr said.

"I bowed, wore the attire, ate the figs as a sign of respect when I was in Saudi.

"I applaud the President for showing this courtesy." ...

Obama and the King: a right royal bow row | smh.com.au

the whitehouse just made this a far larger issue than it was....

obama bowed
people wowed
the truth got plowed
and the lies got loud

the whitehouse just made this a far larger issue than it was....

obama bowed
people wowed
the truth got plowed
and the lies got loud

it wasn't a bow
you lying sow
of course you say wow
you fat fucking cow......:eusa_whistle:

Question
In our western culture bowing is often seen a offer supplication. When two leaders meet and greet and one bows to the other while they are shaking hands is that interpreted as an offer of supplication as it is likely to be seen in our western heritage?

Answer
Greetings Richard, and thanks for your question. I would probably say that bowing these days is more a gesture of respect than supplication. The person who bows most deeply is showing a greater level of respect. Sometimes two leaders get into a 'match' about bowing, which usually ends in laughter and handshakes.

...American etiquette expert Gloria Starr, who has met the King's wife and hosted two of their daughters in her finishing schools, told smh.com.au there was nothing wrong with Mr Obama's display of deference.

"I think it was a sign of respect and in no way diminishes the ranking of the President or indicates the greater strength of the one being bowed to," Ms Starr said.

"I bowed, wore the attire, ate the figs as a sign of respect when I was in Saudi.

so why is the WH lying doyathink?:eusa_eh:

The "issue" is, the whitehouse is lying about it.:eusa_liar:

Dear God, Save us from obama please.:eusa_pray::eusa_pray::eusa_pray:

Wait ... you mean the White House has never lied to us about something inconsequential before now?

Question

Answer

so why is the WH lying doyathink?:eusa_eh:

Has the White House issued a statement?

Forum List

Back