It seems to be on

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/08/071008fa_fact_hersh

In a series of public statements in recent months, President Bush and members of his Administration have redefined the war in Iraq, to an increasing degree, as a strategic battle between the United States and Iran. “Shia extremists, backed by Iran, are training Iraqis to carry out attacks on our forces and the Iraqi people,” Bush told the national convention of the American Legion in August. “The attacks on our bases and our troops by Iranian-supplied munitions have increased. . . . The Iranian regime must halt these actions. And, until it does, I will take actions necessary to protect our troops.” He then concluded, to applause, “I have authorized our military commanders in Iraq to confront Tehran’s murderous activities.”

If Americans let him get away with this I'd be shocked.

More at link.

How is informing the public of the actions of Iran somehow redefining the war? Be so kind as to provide some quote or some comment where Bush or someone of importance in the Administration as actually said anything of the sort.

It's not informing anyone, that assumes facts. It's Bush and Cheney shifting the blame for the massive cockup in Iraq to Iran.

It's not informing anyone, that assumes facts. It's Bush and Cheney shifting the blame for the massive cockup in Iraq to Iran.

Wrong again. It is a proven fact that Iranian made weapons, explosives and trained fighters are coming from Iran. It is a proven fact that Iran backs segments of the Iraqi political structure and wants them to control Iraq.

The Government has made the claim that Iranian Government entities are directly involved in the transfer of weapons to Iraq, the allowance of free movement of terrorists across its border. None of which equates to trying to "redefine" the war.

This is akin to claiming the Adminstration is accusing the Mexican Government of sponsoring illegal immigration into our country because it thinks our desire to boot them out is wrong.

Wrong again. It is a proven fact that Iranian made weapons, explosives and trained fighters are coming from Iran. It is a proven fact that Iran backs segments of the Iraqi political structure and wants them to control Iraq.

The Government has made the claim that Iranian Government entities are directly involved in the transfer of weapons to Iraq, the allowance of free movement of terrorists across its border. None of which equates to trying to "redefine" the war.

This is akin to claiming the Adminstration is accusing the Mexican Government of sponsoring illegal immigration into our country because it thinks our desire to boot them out is wrong.
Quite correct. The Iranians are fighting a proxy war against America and supplying weapons that are killing US troops and Iraqi civilians. The Left chooses to ignore that. And you are the same person who argued so vehemently that Ahmadinejad, a leader of the enemy, should be allowed to spew propaganda at Columbia. Nice consistency. You supported the "free speech" rights of a killer of US troops.

So? Guess what? Iraq has a Shi'ite dominated government. The Sunnis who were in power under Saddam's allegedly secular Ba'athist regime have been given the boot Iran is Shi'ite. Uh-oh........Unca Dick and Unca George have to bomb Iran to try and teach them Iraqis a lesson.

Are we awake yet?

Quite correct. The Iranians are fighting a proxy war against America and supplying weapons that are killing US troops and Iraqi civilians. The Left chooses to ignore that. And you are the same person who argued so vehemently that Ahmadinejad, a leader of the enemy, should be allowed to spew propaganda at Columbia. Nice consistency. You supported the "free speech" rights of a killer of US troops.

Well hello, guess who fought a real, not proxy war against Iraq some years ago?
And now we see the Iranians buddying up with the Iraqi government? Oh duh! Another foreign policy triumph by the incompetents in DC.

and you are the same person who argued so vehemently that Ahmadinejad, a leader of the enemy, should be allowed to spew propaganda at Columbia. Nice consistency. You supported the "free speech" rights of a killer of US troops.[

Is that for me?

And now we see the Iranians buddying up with the Iraqi government? Oh duh! Another foreign policy triumph by the incompetents in DC.

Is that for me?
No. My response quoted RGS. I do not recall any criticism from you of Iranian weapons shipments into Iraq that threaten both Americans and Australians, among others. It was RGS who, in the Fire the Columbia Leadership thread, stepped right up to defend the "free speech" of Ahmadinejad; as though the US Constitution was written to protect foreign nationals who are killers of US troops. I recall RGS' defense of Columbia's leadership and Larkin's insistence that there was no proof of Iranian Leadership complicity in the shipment of US troop killing weapons into Iraq. He actually said it was possible that individuals were shipping sophisticated IEDs, RPGs, and IR surface-to-air missiles into Iraq because such were available on the "black market."

And now we see the Iranians buddying up with the Iraqi government? Oh duh! Another foreign policy triumph by the incompetents in DC
What does this mean? Are you suggesting that America and Australia should have arranged things so that Iraq and Iran remained at each other's throats? Are you suggesting that the leadership of representative government in Iraq could have turned out to be anything but Shia? Iraq is 60 percent Shia. Are you suggesting that because Shia leadership was inevitable that Iraq should not have representative government? What is your point, other than expressing disdain for Washington, and by implication Canberra?

While it may be true. Not an ounce of proof has been provided. I think you'll forgive me if, after having used Colin Powell to legitimize the errors that led us to this debacle, I wouldn't believe anything they say if their tongues were notarized.

That said, would you expect different? Anyone could have seen that destabilizing Iraq would take away the power that balances Iran's in the region. Our troops have been stretched to their limit and, Ahmadinezad knows it. Hence, his being so blatent in telling us where to stick it.

I think there are many diplomatic channels to go through before we trust the people who brought us the screw-up in Iraq lead us to yet another war.

How is informing the public of the actions of Iran somehow redefining the war? Be so kind as to provide some quote or some comment where Bush or someone of importance in the Administration as actually said anything of the sort.
I take it that you either didn't read, (or at the very least) UNDERSTAND what Bush said.

While it may be true. Not an ounce of proof has been provided. I think you'll forgive me if, after having used Colin Powell to legitimize the errors that led us to this debacle, I wouldn't believe anything they say if their tongues were notarized.

That said, would you expect different? Anyone could have seen that destabilizing Iraq would take away the power that balances Iran's in the region. Our troops have been stretched to their limit and, Ahmadinezad knows it. Hence, his being so blatent in telling us where to stick it.

I think there are many diplomatic channels to go through before we trust the people who brought us the screw-up in Iraq lead us to yet another war.
Our military commanders have displayed weapons in Iraq that are of Iranian manufacture. Are they liars when they assert that these weapons are killing US troops and Iraqi civilians? What proof does the Left need to realize that Iran is fighting a proxy war against America? Just what is the Left looking for? Photos of Iranian leaders loading weapons supply trucks? For that matter, what specific proof is the Left looking for in order to believe that Iran is developing nuclear weapons? All of Pakistan's involvement with Iran, the development of massive unnecessary uranium enrichment facilities, underground nuclear labs...that's not enough evidence? What evidence was there that the US, CCCP, China, India, Pakistan, Israel, Britain, or France were developing nuclear weapons before they actually detonated one? There is likely to never be photographic or any other hard evidence that the Iranians are developing nuclear weapons until they detonate their first device. And then Islamic religious fanatics will be pointing a nuclear gun at Israel and the West. What will the Left say then? That American intelligence has failed yet again.

Our military commanders have displayed weapons in Iraq that are of Iranian manufacture. Are they liars when they assert that these weapons are killing US troops and Iraqi civilians? What proof does the Left need to realize that Iran is fighting a proxy war against America? Just what is the Left looking for? Photos of Iranian leaders loading weapons supply trucks? For that matter, what specific proof is the Left looking for in order to believe that Iran is developing nuclear weapons? All of Pakistan's involvement with Iran, the development of massive unnecessary uranium enrichment facilities, underground nuclear labs...that's not enough evidence? What evidence was there that the US, CCCP, China, India, Pakistan, Israel, Britain, or France were developing nuclear weapons before they actually detonated one? There is likely to never be photographic or any other hard evidence that the Iranians are developing nuclear weapons until they detonate their first device. And then Islamic religious fanatics will be pointing a nuclear gun at Israel and the West. What will the Left say then? That American intelligence has failed yet again.

I know it has been "said" that they are developing nukes. It has also been said they are at least a decade away. That leaves a great deal of latitude in dealing with the problem before one should see war as necessary.

As for the proxy war... well, that was to be expected once we got rid of *our* proxy who was fighting Iran FOR us. no?

Mostly, I wouldn't trust Bush's administration to clean my house, much less make a decision that costs still more lives, money and leaves a further mess for the next president.

There is NOTHING going on now that needs Bush to address it. I hope it doesn't offend you that I believe that. His judments have all proven failures. Why would I want him to make further harmful judgments?

Just curious...do you think that Americans are fighting a proxy war with ourselves as well as one with Turkey since American arms have found their way to Iraqi insurgents, and to Kurdish insurgents fighting against Turkey?

As for hard evidence...maybe you can't get any. But an inability to get hard evidence does not justify making shit up or drawing conclusions based on flimsy evidence. It especially does not justify drawing the US into yet another aggressive war. Sorry if I want a bit more evidence before I commit American lives and money to another regime change when we've failed at two so far.

Just curious...do you think that Americans are fighting a proxy war with ourselves as well as one with Turkey since American arms have found their way to Iraqi insurgents, and to Kurdish insurgents fighting against Turkey?

As for hard evidence...maybe you can't get any. But an inability to get hard evidence does not justify making shit up or drawing conclusions based on flimsy evidence. It especially does not justify drawing the US into yet another aggressive war. Sorry if I want a bit more evidence before I commit American lives and money to another regime change when we've failed at two so far.
Please show me the link that advanced US made IEDs and IR surface-to-air missiles are in the hands of Kurd terrorists. What US made weapons are being used by Iraqi and Kurd terrorists? M16s?

What will you say 2 or 3 years from now when Iranian nukes are pointed at Western Europe, our forces on the ground in the ME, and our Navy in the Persian Gulf? That's how long it will take Iranian centrifuges to enrich enough uranium for weapons. It may take less time, if we have underestimated the centrifuge count. What will the world price of oil be when the Mullahs have nuclear weapons pointed at Riyadh? Will you say I guess the Iranians were not cooperating with the UNSC, and hid their nuclear program underground, because in fact they were developing nuclear weapons? How much would that admission be worth in comparison to the 10s, if not 100s, of billions worth of anti-nuke missile technology that would become urgently necessary for North America, Australia, India, Japan, and Europe? How much do you think Israel would calculate allowing the Iranians to detonate a nuke would be worth? Would it be worth a preemptive nuclear attack before the Iranians had time to build a nuke weapons stockpile? Before it gained significant nuclear weapons attack capability, would you preemptively destroy a country that had vowed to destroy you? Or would you gamble with your own extermination?

No one advocates a ground attack of Iran. Regime change? If the Iranian population had prescience, they'd get busy.

I’m genuinely amazed that people actually debate the vegetative likes of you, Cap’n Calvin Klein, and the rest of the would-be WASP war-winners here. Whose entire perspective on the subject of the upcoming war crime in Iran is summed up by this pearler from our Corseted Commando:

It is a proven fact that Iranian made weapons, explosives and trained fighters are coming from Iran. It is a proven fact that Iran backs segments of the Iraqi political structure and wants them to control Iraq.

(emphases mine)

(Or, A drug-addicted alcoholic retard and world renowned liar says it; I want to believe it; that settles it!)

Hitler was right. You don’t fret yer fat arguing with addle-brained F Troopish air thief’s, such as you and the aforementioned sofa Fusiliers, frothing at the mouth about feloniously fabricated threats against their fascist homeland.

You send these genetically defective freaks straight to the showers.

(BTW, when you robotically ding me for this missive, try to remember that RED is b-a-d and GREEN is g-o-o-d. :rolleyes: )

Forum List

Back