It seems to be on

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Diuretic, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/08/071008fa_fact_hersh

If Americans let him get away with this I'd be shocked.

More at link.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,021
    How is informing the public of the actions of Iran somehow redefining the war? Be so kind as to provide some quote or some comment where Bush or someone of importance in the Administration as actually said anything of the sort.

3. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It's not informing anyone, that assumes facts. It's Bush and Cheney shifting the blame for the massive cockup in Iraq to Iran.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,021
    Wrong again. It is a proven fact that Iranian made weapons, explosives and trained fighters are coming from Iran. It is a proven fact that Iran backs segments of the Iraqi political structure and wants them to control Iraq.

The Government has made the claim that Iranian Government entities are directly involved in the transfer of weapons to Iraq, the allowance of free movement of terrorists across its border. None of which equates to trying to "redefine" the war.

This is akin to claiming the Adminstration is accusing the Mexican Government of sponsoring illegal immigration into our country because it thinks our desire to boot them out is wrong.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Quite correct. The Iranians are fighting a proxy war against America and supplying weapons that are killing US troops and Iraqi civilians. The Left chooses to ignore that. And you are the same person who argued so vehemently that Ahmadinejad, a leader of the enemy, should be allowed to spew propaganda at Columbia. Nice consistency. You supported the "free speech" rights of a killer of US troops.

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    So? Guess what? Iraq has a Shi'ite dominated government. The Sunnis who were in power under Saddam's allegedly secular Ba'athist regime have been given the boot Iran is Shi'ite. Uh-oh........Unca Dick and Unca George have to bomb Iran to try and teach them Iraqis a lesson.

Are we awake yet?

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Well hello, guess who fought a real, not proxy war against Iraq some years ago?
    And now we see the Iranians buddying up with the Iraqi government? Oh duh! Another foreign policy triumph by the incompetents in DC.

Is that for me?

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    No. My response quoted RGS. I do not recall any criticism from you of Iranian weapons shipments into Iraq that threaten both Americans and Australians, among others. It was RGS who, in the Fire the Columbia Leadership thread, stepped right up to defend the "free speech" of Ahmadinejad; as though the US Constitution was written to protect foreign nationals who are killers of US troops. I recall RGS' defense of Columbia's leadership and Larkin's insistence that there was no proof of Iranian Leadership complicity in the shipment of US troop killing weapons into Iraq. He actually said it was possible that individuals were shipping sophisticated IEDs, RPGs, and IR surface-to-air missiles into Iraq because such were available on the "black market."

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    What does this mean? Are you suggesting that America and Australia should have arranged things so that Iraq and Iran remained at each other's throats? Are you suggesting that the leadership of representative government in Iraq could have turned out to be anything but Shia? Iraq is 60 percent Shia. Are you suggesting that because Shia leadership was inevitable that Iraq should not have representative government? What is your point, other than expressing disdain for Washington, and by implication Canberra?

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    While it may be true. Not an ounce of proof has been provided. I think you'll forgive me if, after having used Colin Powell to legitimize the errors that led us to this debacle, I wouldn't believe anything they say if their tongues were notarized.

That said, would you expect different? Anyone could have seen that destabilizing Iraq would take away the power that balances Iran's in the region. Our troops have been stretched to their limit and, Ahmadinezad knows it. Hence, his being so blatent in telling us where to stick it.

I think there are many diplomatic channels to go through before we trust the people who brought us the screw-up in Iraq lead us to yet another war.