It seems to be easier to shoot the messenger than hear the message......

Rocky Top Lady

Life is Good!
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
I started to post this as a reply to the "Glenn got his asshole ripped" thread, but thought I'd start a new thread in hopes of getting serious answers instead of bashing and name calling.

First let me say that I appreciate Jon Stewart as a truly funny guy. Same for Colbert. I appreciate the comedic satire of JS and SC, because it gives me a chance to briefly laugh at the things that normally cause me great concern. I DVR both of their shows, as well as Glenn and O'Reilly. I have tried to watch KO, I swear I have, but quite frankly he is just too mean spirited for my tastes. I am sure he has a following, and that is the precious thing about living in America and enjoying freedom of speech. Everyone can choose who they want to watch/listen to. (as of today)

Glenn is over the top. In the video, Jon took Glenn's traits even further over the top, and I laughed, and it felt good. But the satire of Glenn doesn't diminish the gravity of the message he brings, does it?

Love him or hate him, Glenn Beck is asking hard questions. For the most part, his talking points are backed by either video of the words coming out of their own face, or words coming from their writings. He is causing regular people to question their representatives at all levels of government, local to federal, and I believe that to be a very good thing. And please, don't suggest that Beck didn't question the Bush administration. He did. He was on a different channel that doesn't have the viewership that Fox does. He probably "liked" Bush more than he "likes" Obama, and quite vice versa, but he did scream about the out of control spending and the freedoms and liberties taken away in the name of national security. Glenn is a small government guy, and I agree with that concept.

Say what you will, but folks there is video evidence that this entire administration is filled with people who don't seem to believe that the US Constitution is relevant. The administration seems to be hell bent on "fundamentally transforming the US" and I for one am very unhappy about that.

They have called Glenn and Fox "liars" but refuse to answer any of the issues raised. I don't understand that. I would love to see the president hold a prime time conference along the lines of a "State of the Union" and address each issue head on instead of poo poo'ing the folks raising the questions, wouldn't you? I am constantly reminded of the Wizard scene "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".....

For the most part, up til now, it hasn't changed my life much whether a "D" or an "R" lived at 1600 because I didn't make enough money to be taxed more, and I make too much to get on the "G" Train, so I just went about my non-political life until election time. That's all changing now, because we are now talking about "redistribution of wealth". Does that mean even more of my income will be taken to be spread amongst those who "need" it? We know in our hearts that they won't take it from their peers, so that leaves us in the middle, right? Is that fair?

The left side of the citizenry seems to have chosen to belittle the right side, who seem to be gathering in ever increasing numbers to voice their concerns. The fact that the administration is joining in the fray and calling citizens astroturf nazi's (I saw these words come out of Nancy's face) or simply ignoring the gatherings of citizens should concern every American no matter which side of the aisle they are on.

I have never been to a protest rally in my life, but I am planning to go to one here locally in January. Am I to assume that from that point forward I will be considered "teabagger, a racist, a nazi, a wingnut or a neo-con"? Really?

Am I wrong to be concerned about a government that refuses to even acknowledge the folks they represent?

I really hope we can discuss this topic without bashing each other's views. This is one of the main reasons I have become interested/somewhat active in politics this year. Until this year, I have (falsely) assumed that those in DC were doing everything they did in the best interest of the country. I realize now that I have been dead wrong in that assumption and have decided to take a stand against it however I can. hmmmmm....I wonder how many of us are out there?

Good post, RTL.

You'll learn that there are too many who have intellectual sloth. You'll fight logical fallacies and Alinsky's rules quite often here. Just dig in where you are strong on those fronts and keep your mind open on other fronts where the discussion is honest.

no head of state has ever addressed issues one on one or head on...i find it interesting that it was this year that you realized that gov does not hold the interests of the common person. there is no difference in the republican party or the democratic party...as a conservative christian, why dont you look at bush's faith based agenda. he allotted or budgetted a set number of dollars but how much of that allottment was actually given out? government on the federal level and more on the state level has become a game of smoke and mirrors...each side using stats to prove their points without regard to reality or facts. the evangicial movement deserted bush for a reason and the gop for a reason this last election. the reason was the broken promises made to them in exchange for their support. as far a religion that is up to the person...but realize that religion is just like any other organization to a political....the only concern is how can religion be used to promote what they want?

While your emotionally charged "Oh but the left!" post was interesting, not much merit to it.

I'll address your post, down the line:

1.) When people like Glenn Beck are hypocrites, they should expect to be called out on it.

2.) Glenn Beck is not asking the hard questions. He's merely asking anything to get his audience tuned in. He stopped caring about the facts long ago. This is from the same man who said he hated certain 9/11 victim families and wished they would all shut up because "we did the best we could."

3.) Now you try to excuse Glenn's nonaction against Bush. It doesn't matter if he was on CNN, look at Lou Dobbs and what he is able to do over there. Therefore, your pitiful defending of Glenn's inaction against the right has been refuted.

4.) Obama has been in office for almost a year, do you see the U.S. Constitution changed? Has the Obama Administration made your life any worse? Hell, your taxes will have probably gone down under him.

5.) I constantly refute anything Beck says that is wrong. However, people who drink his kool-aid believe the self-proclaimed Rodeo clown is more than a entertainer. There is not much of a different between what Colbert does and what Beck does. Difference is, Colbert is a comedy show while Beck makes himself out to be some freedom fighter.

6.) This point:
The left side of the citizenry seems to have chosen to belittle the right side, who seem to be gathering in ever increasing numbers to voice their concerns. The fact that the administration is joining in the fray and calling citizens astroturf nazi's (I saw these words come out of Nancy's face) or simply ignoring the gatherings of citizens should concern every American no matter which side of the aisle they are on.

If you will notice in my latest thread, a bunch of Republicans preventing Democrats in Congress to have their say. The right has belittled the "left" constantly for years. Because some on the Left finally grew some balls, you cry belitting? Give me a break.

As for some of their rallies, they are astroturf. However, if you're actually going to believe that Nancy Pelosi is someone who speaks for the entire "left" or Liberals then you are seriously delusional. And no, thats not bashing, that's the truth. That would be similar to me judging all Republicans based on Mark Foley.

7.)
I have never been to a protest rally in my life, but I am planning to go to one here locally in January. Am I to assume that from that point forward I will be considered "teabagger, a racist, a nazi, a wingnut or a neo-con"? Really?

Guess what? If you call Obama the N word, you just might be a racist. If you hold up pictures of Dachau as if it's suddenly acceptable to abuse the Holocaust for your cause, then you just might be a dickhead. And if you feel that we should bring Democracy across the globe while intervention in the Economy for what you feel is right, then you just might be a Neocon. Because guess what? If you walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it just might be a duck.

8.)
Am I wrong to be concerned about a government that refuses to even acknowledge the folks they represent?

Again, that's your opinion, not fact. Besides, it's a very poor opinion. Do you seriously believe that nobody in the Government or Obama doesn't acknowledge what people say? He doesn't simply have the time to address every single thing that someone says. Otherwise he could never do his job. Then you would just be bitching about that.

9.)
Until this year, I have (falsely) assumed that those in DC were doing everything they did in the best interest of the country.

Right, until Obama came into office. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Hope that answers all your questions.

no head of state has ever addressed issues one on one or head on...i find it interesting that it was this year that you realized that gov does not hold the interests of the common person. there is no difference in the republican party or the democratic party...as a conservative christian, why dont you look at bush's faith based agenda. he allotted or budgetted a set number of dollars but how much of that allottment was actually given out? government on the federal level and more on the state level has become a game of smoke and mirrors...each side using stats to prove their points without regard to reality or facts. the evangicial movement deserted bush for a reason and the gop for a reason this last election. the reason was the broken promises made to them in exchange for their support. as far a religion that is up to the person...but realize that religion is just like any other organization to a political....the only concern is how can religion be used to promote what they want?

You are correct. The entire government was corrupted long ago. Obama is not the author of corruption. But unless I am mistaken, this is the first administration to openly ridicule the people they represent. I may have missed it in the past, as I said, I haven't been a huge political follower. I have a problem with the government openly calling the citizens names and minimizing their concerns. Is that wrong?

You are also correct in stating that the spin doctors can take the same story and set of numbers and make the argument for their side. Question is, how do we fix what is broke without destroying all that is right?

Would it not be refreshing for the man who promised to lead us out of corruption and as Nancy put it "drain the swamp" to actually follow through on that? We were supposed to be enjoying a unified goverment, with total transparency, all discussions about agenda and policy would be openly debated and televised and all bills would be posted for 72 hours, we were going to be post racial and we could all take part in every aspect of the government. What happened? Is the totality of the failure all to be laid at the feet of the R's? Here's a question - Would you tune in if the president or any member of his administration (the current or any future administration) held a public conference to address the concerns of the nation? I certainly would and I am sure the ratings would be off the chart. People are concerned and should be answered instead of ignored. The adminstration is fully aware of the concerns of the people. It's not only Beck who is voicing concern.

I personally fail to see a thimble full of difference between the "D's" and "R's" now. It seems that all they do is stand on opposite sides of the aisle and point fingers. I do see a difference in liberal and conservative, and I believe that is the reason the R's are falling apart. R's are supposed to be small gov't, small spending, low taxes. Or at least that was what my understanding was until the last few years. It appears that their only concern now is total domination of every aspect of our life and that is what I have a problem with.

I understand that the foundations for what we see coming to fruition now were being laid for decades. Obama is simply adding his layer to the foundation, and furthering his agenda with seemingly unfettered power. He is keeping his campaign promise to "fundamentally transform America" and I believe that is the reason the "sleeping giant" came alive this year.

Lastly, SB, my personal Christian relationship direct only my own personal choices in life, and as I said in my intro, I will never try to insinuate my opinions onto another or look down on another because of their personal life choices. That is the most personal relationship of all and a decision that only the individual can make.

i have no issues with christians...i was simply pointing out the faking of the numbers and the issues that caused the evanglical movement to leave the party or at least not vote in the election. i truly believe that we are all entitled to our beliefs...

Forum List

Back