It Seems the U.S. is Getting Like the Tudors

pal_of_poor

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2009
I've been renting, and watching the Tudor's, a Showtime series about the nobility in sixteenth century England lately. It seems to me, we're getting closer and closer to resembling a modern-day version of this group of leaders in America. We're really no longer a democracy, but almost a moneyed monarchy.

The rich have the power to do almost anything to the poor, and just like back then, we've got pretty much a situation where you've got rabble running around, trying to grub up any little thing you can, and others who are vastly rich. If you want to get ahead, you have to kiss the kings, or the economic royalists' asses, and everyone seems to run around happy with the situation, and praising the queen and king.

They keep taking, and taking money, from the poorest, and then they hand out positions to people who kiss their asses just right. You've pretty much got to let the power holders do anything they want, and as we've seen lately, just like back then, if they want to screw your wife, they just do it, and they don't feel guilty, because after all, they are the chosen ones. The poor husbands don't mind, because letting the kings tap your wife is a way to get ahead, and gain advantage, as they may appoint you to something, or give you a parcel of land and a nice house.

It is really kind of sickening that we've gotten back to this point where republicans, and many democrats, just worship the rich so much, and hate the poor with equal aplomb. But it is just the result FDR feared when after radio became popular, and realizing that these broadcasters would be controlled by the richest Ruppert Murdoch types in the land, put into effect the fairness doctrine. IT was a simple law, requiring equal time for both sides of the story. It was destroyed in 1986, or somewhere thereabouts, with democrats complicit, roughly when democrats tied themselves to the yoke of the same corporations, and started to plough along side republicans. It was, the beginning of our slide, down to the plutocracy, the oligarchy, we are now realizing, a situation where wealth has been so maldistributed to the top, that we've reached even greater differences than in the depression. And the media is, and has been, so one-sided, that they've got a whole crop of economic admirers, offering up their wives to the kings, in hopes of tapping advantage themselves.

It is the saddest thing that the people in America are so clueless, that they don't even understand that for years, no, decades now, they've been supporting, and heaping praise on the same people that have been economically, putting their heads on the chopping block, and bleeding them with their evil leeches. And like then, it has nearly left us in a figurative situation, where we are almost all rabble, wallowing around in the filthy streets trying to get our bit of bread, or joining in the next foreign campaign (war), because the crumbs are all that is left to most of us. Yes, you've knocked the foundation out from under America, good going. And with that foundation gone, it's all going to crash down around us.

I've been renting, and watching the Tudor's, a Showtime series about the nobility in sixteenth century England lately. It seems to me, we're getting closer and closer to resembling a modern-day version of this group of leaders in America. We're really no longer a democracy, but almost a moneyed monarchy.

The rich have the power to do almost anything to the poor, and just like back then, we've got pretty much a situation where you've got rabble running around, trying to grub up any little thing you can, and others who are vastly rich. If you want to get ahead, you have to kiss the kings, or the economic royalists' asses, and everyone seems to run around happy with the situation, and praising the queen and king.

They keep taking, and taking money, from the poorest, and then they hand out positions to people who kiss their asses just right. You've pretty much got to let the power holders do anything they want, and as we've seen lately, just like back then, if they want to screw your wife, they just do it, and they don't feel guilty, because after all, they are the chosen ones. The poor husbands don't mind, because letting the kings tap your wife is a way to get ahead, and gain advantage, as they may appoint you to something, or give you a parcel of land and a nice house.

It is really kind of sickening that we've gotten back to this point where republicans, and many democrats, just worship the rich so much, and hate the poor with equal aplomb. But it is just the result FDR feared when after radio became popular, and realizing that these broadcasters would be controlled by the richest Ruppert Murdoch types in the land, put into effect the fairness doctrine. IT was a simple law, requiring equal time for both sides of the story. It was destroyed in 1986, or somewhere thereabouts, with democrats complicit, roughly when democrats tied themselves to the yoke of the same corporations, and started to plough along side republicans. It was, the beginning of our slide, down to the plutocracy, the oligarchy, we are now realizing, a situation where wealth has been so maldistributed to the top, that we've reached even greater differences than in the depression. And the media is, and has been, so one-sided, that they've got a whole crop of economic admirers, offering up their wives to the kings, in hopes of tapping advantage themselves.

It is the saddest thing that the people in America are so clueless, that they don't even understand that for years, no, decades now, they've been supporting, and heaping praise on the same people that have been economically, putting their heads on the chopping block, and bleeding them with their evil leeches. And like then, it has nearly left us in a figurative situation, where we are almost all rabble, wallowing around in the filthy streets trying to get our bit of bread, or joining in the next foreign campaign (war), because the crumbs are all that is left to most of us. Yes, you've knocked the foundation out from under America, good going. And with that foundation gone, it's all going to crash down around us.

Love the Tudors, your analogy sucks tho. Americans are finally having a say in the way our leaders intend to govern. We have accountability, we are working on domestic issues that have been sadly neglected over the past 9 years, we have transparency.

Nothing like the reign of the syphilitic King Henery. Democracy has been held captive here in America and is now slowly but surely beginning to surface and grow once again.

Love the Tudors, your analogy sucks tho. Americans are finally having a say in the way our leaders intend to govern. We have accountability, we are working on domestic issues that have been sadly neglected over the past 9 years, we have transparency.

Nothing like the reign of the syphilitic King Henery. Democracy has been held captive here in America and is now slowly but surely beginning to surface and grow once again.

I'm at the end of the first season, and even now it's pretty clear why he eventually chopped off her head, though I expect he had different reasons, as I've read in Encarta. All that pent up sexual frustration for all those years, and then no male sons.

Wow, I feel sympathy for some of the things women have had to go through here, but it is amazing how bad things were back then. They were bargaining chips, pawns, it was awful. Felt sorry for, Margaret, was it, who had to sleep with the old guy from Portugal. And all those people around the bed, yuk, that would be pretty darned uncomfortable. She got him in the end though. He looked like he needed to be put out of his misery.

But yea, it's different, but we're heading in the same direction, add five centuries of technology.

I researched the "sleeping sickness" too, and apparently they still don't know what it was. It sounded almost like poisen to me, the way it affected different people more quickly than others, as if they'd gotten a larger dose.

I'm at the end of the first season, and even now it's pretty clear why he eventually chopped off her head, though I expect he had different reasons, as I've read in Encarta. All that pent up sexual frustration for all those years, and then no male sons.

Wow, I feel sympathy for some of the things women have had to go through here, but it is amazing how bad things were back then. They were bargaining chips, pawns, it was awful. Felt sorry for, Margaret, was it, who had to sleep with the old guy from Portugal. And all those people around the bed, yuk, that would be pretty darned uncomfortable. She got him in the end though. He looked like he needed to be put out of his misery.

But yea, it's different, but we're heading in the same direction, add five centuries of technology.

I researched the "sleeping sickness" too, and apparently they still don't know what it was. It sounded almost like poisen to me, the way it affected different people more quickly than others, as if they'd gotten a larger dose.

I hear the 2010 season will be the last. There will be another interesting series starting up on Showtime next Spring having to do with Camelot. Watch for that.

I actually have to turn away from some of the violence and the rest of his wives who must sleep with him even with his stinky and seeping leg. Quite realistic, all of it.

Love this series.

Have you seen the John Adams series from HBO? Another good one.

This thread comparing the Tudors with the American power system is one of the more lame and blah ones in some time. Not even remotely comparable, just silly, lame, hemorroid stricken. Let's flush it out and move on.

It's not a question of rich elitists lording it over the poor . The problem is that everybody's an elitist , liberals and conservatives alike have an idea how everybody else should live their lives . Hence , big government . If we have a representative government , and we do , then this endless regulatory madness and the constant social engineering schemes are a product of the people themselves .

Tudors is a solid series.

The John Adams mini series was fantastic - the Founders would not be pleased with the size and scope of our federal government - even Hamilton would be appalled...

We have transparency? Since when?

This thread comparing the Tudors with the American power system is one of the more lame and blah ones in some time. Not even remotely comparable, just silly, lame, hemorroid stricken. Let's flush it out and move on.

I'm in.

I hear the 2010 season will be the last. There will be another interesting series starting up on Showtime next Spring having to do with Camelot. Watch for that.

I actually have to turn away from some of the violence and the rest of his wives who must sleep with him even with his stinky and seeping leg. Quite realistic, all of it.

Love this series.

Have you seen the John Adams series from HBO? Another good one.

In the last couple I've seen the Humanist, More, burn a guy at the stake, then they boiled the guy to death. Talk about realism, ouch.

No, I haven't seen the Adams series, but a couple of others I'd recommend, is Deadwood, another situation that is what we'd end up with had we pursued a Libertarian direction, and Six Feet Under is amazingly good, seeing as how its topic is about a family owned Mortuary.

Forum List

Back