it seemed like a good idea at the time! rights for the mentally ill

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by strollingbones, Aug 9, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    depending on your age: there was a time in this country when the mentally ill were removed from the streets and locked up in asylums...(the name says it all)...then there was a civil rights movement for the mentally ill to stop the forced sterilazations and things like that...

unfortunately, instead of allowing improvement of care...it allowed no care...you cant force someone to be medicated now...so the result is many homeless who are truly mentally ill..nor only are some a threat to themselves but many times they are a threat to others...sometimes they are not a threat to anyone. my point being...it seemed like a good idea at the time and has totally backfired with the dumping of mentally ill by families and society.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    De-institutionalisation and community treatment were good ideas, it's just that the timing was bad. They were promulgated at about the time that various neo-liberal politicians got into power and they saw it as a means of reducing costs, so people were sent from institutions into the community without sufficient resources for support.

Anyway, after many years of being cynical about him I'm starting to appreciate the ideas of Thomas Szasz about mental health. I do believe that institutions should only be used for the most damaged individuals, many can be treated successfully in the community - if sufficient resources exist. But I'm not a mental health expert so my comments are only those of a layperson.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I agree in part. But they were also, at the same time, given the right to decline treatment and medication.

That multiplied the problems... so I'm not sure the problem was so much lack of treatment and support or a refusal to realize that people who aren't competent shouldn't be presumed to be able to make decisions about their mental health. Unfortunately, the only means to force treatment is if the mentally person is considered a danger to him/herself or others.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Breakdown of families didn't help alot either. Families used to take care of their own nuts or at least hide em. There also far to many lay persons who are aghast at the treatments available to the mentally ill but provide no alternative.
    Basically we have the right to act as crazy as we want to be until a judge deems you "dangerous". This why several posters are with us today as opposed to being properly medicated or institutionalized. :lol:

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Ah, I wasn't aware of the right to refuse treatment. That seems to be a mistake. Are mental health laws in the US state-based? In my jurisdiction a legally qualified medical practitioner can order detention and examination and from there treatment orders can be applied if necessary, there has been no discretion to the mental health consumer to refuse treatment where necessary. Having said that though there are always cases where someone feels better and stops taking their medication.....

6. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    Reagan closed mental hospitals and put the mentally ill on the streets.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    If you take a look at this abstract, you'll see that, at least here in NYC, they found a link between mental illness and homelessness. Homeless people were picked up and if believed to be mentally ill, were treated and/or institutionalized. Advocates for the homeless portrayed this as a "medicalization of a socioeconomic problem.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I seem to remember Ed Koch being very angered by this position.

And I do believe these things are determined on a state by state basis.

8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
  9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,723
    We have a nationally funded insane asylum. It's called Congress.:lol:

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    They shut down the hospitals and kicked the patients out.

One of the hospitals was in Pendleton (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).