It really bothers me ....

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
When a person in an Authority position such as a Boss or Professor who has some kind of power to effect your income or grades, brings up little religious analogies in conversations in a professional environment.

I really feel annoyed by it because I am not there to contemplate a religious ideal.

I don't confront it because I don't want the authority figure to power trip and do some negative act that will effect my professional life.

Is that the best way to handle the situation? :cool:

When a person in an Authority position such as a Boss or Professor who has some kind of power to effect your income or grades, brings up little religious analogies in conversations in a professional environment.

I really feel annoyed by it because I am not there to contemplate a religious ideal.

I don't confront it because I don't want the authority figure to power trip and do some negative act that will effect my professional life.

Ignore it and move on or fight to change it if you can. Welcome to the real world.

Ignore it and move on or fight to change it if you can. Welcome to the real world.

I have pretty much just said nothing.

I haven't mentally ignored it but taking no action, don't want to make waves.

It just seems weird to do in professional settings.

I am sure the person means well but it annoys because it's not my belief and so I feel I have to go along with something not in my Professional description of why I am there.

I guess because they have the power they can do what they want. :dunno:

I suggest a thicker skin. No matter what side of the religious argument you are on, there will be someone on the other side and they have as much right to express their opinion as you do to clamp your hands over your ears and say la la la la la la la.
Regardless of what your high school teachers taught you, you do not have any right to not be annoyed by a religious ideal.

I suggest a thicker skin. No matter what side of the religious argument you are on, there will be someone on the other side and they have as much right to express their opinion as you do to clamp your hands over your ears and say la la la la la la la.
Regardless of what your high school teachers taught you, you do not have any right to not be annoyed by a religious ideal.

It's not about thin skin, it's really just not the place for those kind of conversations.

I am just saying why do people feel it's ok to bring religion into a board meeting or classroom?

I am sure the person means well but it annoys because it's not my belief and so I feel I have to go along with something not in my Professional description of why I am there.

Why are you bothered with it? :eusa_eh:
You will find a lot more weirder things than that happen in professional settings then having to worry about someone's religious and or political bent.

You will find a lot more weirder things than that happen in professional settings then having to worry about someone's religious and or political bent.

This individual went on about why gay marriage is wrong, also about abortion.

He happens to be running the show so to speak and so while he gave his personal opinion he used his religious beliefs as his reasoning behind it.

It had not one thing to do with why the group was at this gathering and it is awkward.

He has a strong opinion and at times wants others to nod in agreement.

It bothers me because I am not there to talk about those topics and I don't agree with his opinions or conclusions.

I feel I am held hostage because of the hierarchy.

I am just trying to understand what the point of doing that in a professional setting is.

:dunno:

Last edited:

It's not about thin skin, it's really just not the place for those kind of conversations.

I am just saying why do people feel it's ok to bring religion into a board meeting or classroom?
You're talking about the person in authority. If he decides it IS the place for those kinds of conversations, then it is. Your not liking it matters naught.

You're talking about the person in authority. If he decides it IS the place for those kinds of conversations, then it is. Your not liking it matters naught.

He is in Authority but the fact is if I recorded him and turned it in, he would get in trouble.

It's not Professional and does not belong there.

I am just trying to understand why he wants to use that arena for his personal platform.

He happens to be running the show so to speak and so while he gave his personal opinion he used his religious beliefs as his reasoning behind it.

It had not one thing to do with why the group was at this gathering and it is awkward.

It bothers me because I am not there to talk about those topics and I don't agree with his opinions or conclusions.

I am just trying to understand what the point of doing that in a professional setting is.

There doesn't HAVE to be a point that you accept. The point is you can listen or leave. It's HIS show.

There doesn't HAVE to be a point that you accept. The point is you can listen or leave. It's HIS show.

Did you not read that I don't intend to do anything about it?

I simply asked if anyone has other ideas of dealing with it.

You are only offering advice of what I am already doing.

I was really wondering if anyone had insight into people who choose that venue to do this kind of pontification.

I could actually get this person in trouble, but I am not going to.

Mostly, I just wanted to hear others ways one might handle situations that are really awkward like this one, if anyone had fresh new ideas or things that help them not feel so annoyed.

Thanks
:eusa_eh:

Sometimes it depends on the company you are working for. Some companies strongly promote their religious positions and encourage their employees to do the same. It's not a Christian or Muslim owned company/organization is it?

He is in Authority but the fact is if I recorded him and turned it in, he would get in trouble.

I am just trying to understand why he wants to use that arena for his personal platform.
Would he or are you assuming he would get in trouble?
If you recorded him without his permission, and turned it in, you would likely be in more trouble than him,

Ihave only your word on whether or not it was "professional", but you can assume that if he was in authority, it was, in his opinion, professional and appropriate and his is the opinion that matters. Life is not a democracy and rarely is it fair.

Sometimes it depends on the company you are working for. Some companies strongly promote their religious positions and encourage their employees to do the same. It's not a Christian or Muslim owned company/organization is it?

Nope, it's not.

I don't really want to get him in trouble either He is a nice guy I just want him to stop using up professional time talking about these sensitive topics.

You both are right in it seems all I can do is just take it.

But I wish this guy would stop. :lol:

Did you not read that I don't intend to do anything about it?

I simply asked if anyone has other ideas of dealing with it.

You are only offering advice of what I am already doing.

I was really wondering if anyone had insight into people who choose that venue to do this kind of pontification.

I could actually get this person in trouble, but I am not going to.

Mostly, I just wanted to hear others ways one might handle situations that are really awkward like this one, if anyone had fresh new ideas or things that help them not feel so annoyed.

Thanks
:eusa_eh:

I gave you all you need. Suck it up, or leave. Simple as that. YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE.

If you recorded him without his permission, and turned it in, you would likely be in more trouble than him,

I have only your word on whether or not it was "professional", but you can assume that if he was in authority, it was, in his opinion, professional and appropriate and his is the opinion that matters. Life is not a democracy and rarely is it fair.

I understand, you are not there and you don't know me so you ave not got much to go on.

All I can say is in the environment we meet in, he would get in trouble.

The reason why nothing is said is because our group is at his mercy to a certain extent, but under muffled complaints others there also do not like what he does.

I suppose by the two responses in the thread that the answer I am getting is, not much you can do, unless you want to cause trouble, which I don't want to.

I have only your word on whether or not it was "professional", but you can assume that if he was in authority, it was, in his opinion, professional and appropriate and his is the opinion that matters. Life is not a democracy and rarely is it fair.

I understand, you are not there and you don't know me so you ave not got much to go on.

All I can say is in the environment we meet in, he would get in trouble.

The reason why nothing is said is because our group is at his mercy to a certain extent, but under muffled complaints others there also do not like what he does.

I suppose by the two responses in the thread that the answer I am getting is, not much you can do, unless you want to cause trouble, which I don't want to.
Drift, if he's as persistent as you claim then eventually he will trip himself up. He'll say something in front of another manager or his boss and will, more than likely, be told to stop.
Not being there none of the rest of us can know the office dynamics let alone company policies, only you know that. His actions are possibly putting the company at risk, liability issues, but again only you know that for certain. Find someone you know you can confide in and tell them, if there are a number of your group that takes issue with his non professional use of a professional setting then you have power in numbers and not just a he said-she said situation.

New Topics

Forum List

Back