It may be old hat, but it picks up steam

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NewGuy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.newsday.com/news/politic...54,print.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

Don't miss the rest of the article.

Remember that "draft" legislation?

Remember that not all jobs were gun-toting, but many were "civil service"?

In essence the draft legislation puts all citizens into manditorilly doing military time.

No draft, huh?

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    we've definitely got some issues to work out.. i'm all for increasing the army's size by 150,000-250,000, the marines by 50,000-75,000.

it is no longer an option, its a neccessity. if it means increasing the GI bill to around 60-80,000 dollars, it will be worth it. if it means spending an ungodly amount of money, well, its gotta be done. reagan did it, he cut taxes first then increased them twice after he realized we had to pay for all this mess.

no more screwing around, its time to boost the military.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and i do believe there is bipartisan support for it, especially in the senate.

4. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    :clap:

5. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    That much of an increase is going to flat kill the quality of leadership. If they do this, they will need to recall the retirees who are still physically fit to fill the leadership gap until the young'uns get wetted down. Just checked, my address is current. OohRah.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    I dont see a draft happening soon. I see a reorganization of the military by the administration but as long as Kerry is not president in janurary i dont see a draft of anything short of china invading the USA.

I say we only need to worry if Kerry gets into office because

1)Secretary Rumsfeld has been clear he doesnt want the draft and whats to organize the existing military aparatus better.

2)One of the top nominees for a possible Secretary of State under Kerry is Senator Biden, one of the men pushing the draft in the Senate.

Im not too worried about the "bipartisan" support for the draft. As far as ive seen the support consists of 1 "moderate" Republican and about 7 Democrats, of which atleast 2 arent even running for reelection this year and wont be around in january to really affect the debate.