It just...never...ends.

theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
I swear to God this is not Scrappleface. It is beyond satire. Britain has become a parody of itself.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/04/britain.redcross/index.html

Race fears spark St. George ban

Tuesday, October 4, 2005 Posted: 1249 GMT (2049 HKT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British prison officers who wore a St. George's Cross tie-pin have been ticked off by the jails watchdog over concerns about the symbol's racist connotations.
The pins showing the English flag -- which has often raised hackles due to its connection with the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries -- could be "misconstrued," Chief Inspector of Prisons Anne Owers said in a section on race in a report on a jail in the northern English city of Wakefield.

The banner of St. George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the military expeditions by European powers to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims, and later became the national flag of England.

A section on race relations in Owers' report said: "We were concerned to see a number of staff wearing a flag of St. George tie-pin.

"While we were told that these had been bought in support of a cancer charity there was clear scope for misinterpretation, and Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorized badges and pins should not be worn."

As one of her formal recommendations Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorized badges or pins."

Chris Doyle, director of the Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding, said Tuesday the red cross was an insensitive reminder of the Crusades.

"A lot of Muslims and Arabs view the Crusades as a bloody episode in our history," he told CNN. "They see those campaigns as Christendom launching a brutal holy war against Islam.

"Muslim or Arab prisoners could take umbrage if staff wore a red cross badge. It's also got associations with the far-right. Prison officers should be seen to be neutral."

Doyle added that it was now time for England to find a new flag and a patron saint who is "not associated with our bloody past and one we can all identify with."

I wonder how long before Muslims get offended by Jews in Britain. Maybe they can pass a law requiring them to wear yellow stars so Muslims can steer clear. Or just kill them.

And I found an idea for their new flag:

White-Flag-Small.jpg

You know what? The American flag has 13 stripes on it, each representing a state which once owned slaves. Why don't we get rid of that flag? The French flag is a symbol of the bloody revolution that saw countless hundreds decapitated for false charges of treason. That one's next. Then, we'll get rid of the Canadian flag. It symbolizes how we raped the environment to get our pancake syrup. Next, we grab the Mexican flag, as the symbol on it has a religious origin. We should ban any flag with red on it, since that's the color of blood, any flag with white or black on it, since that's racist, and while we're at it, let's just ban flags, as flags lead to national pride, which causes war, which is always bad.

I am just dumbstruck. I wonder how the British citizenry reacts to these things?

I'd like to know when, say, Saudi Arabia is going to change its flag. The Saudi flag is green (representing the violent religion of Islam), has a sword on it, and states that there is no God but Allah and that Mohammed is the prophet of God. If there was ever a country that personified religious intolerance, it's Saudi Arabia. So piss on them if they're offended by crosses! :fu2:

Hobbit said:
You know what? The American flag has 13 stripes on it, each representing a state which once owned slaves. Why don't we get rid of that flag? The French flag is a symbol of the bloody revolution that saw countless hundreds decapitated for false charges of treason. That one's next. Then, we'll get rid of the Canadian flag. It symbolizes how we raped the environment to get our pancake syrup. Next, we grab the Mexican flag, as the symbol on it has a religious origin. We should ban any flag with red on it, since that's the color of blood, any flag with white or black on it, since that's racist, and while we're at it, let's just ban flags, as flags lead to national pride, which causes war, which is always bad.

If we aren't careful, that could be next.

wear this cross...since Islam is the only nation who has continued the Crusades...they just keep on a keep'un on...they will not stop until they are defeated once and for all or win! :2guns: :arabia:

Yea, NOT TO offend prisoners, high on my priority list.

Ya thinks the guys in prison did something to offend someone to deserve being there? Or maybe they just offended society in general, or maybe both.

Forum List

Back