It isn't just about welfare.

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Their excuses, "everyone does it", "it's standard procedure". They cover their theft of public money for personal enrichment by claiming that their earmarks serve their constituents. While their constituencies may be served to some extent, it is difficult to dismiss the greater benefits reaped by the members of Congress, their families, and their private businesses. It is long past time allowing earmarks of Federal monies to finance state or local projects that present a clear conflict of interest.

WASHINGTON -- A U.S. senator from Alabama directed more than $100 million in federal earmarks to renovate downtown Tuscaloosa near his own commercial office building. A congressman from Georgia secured $6.3 million in taxpayer funds to replenish the beach about 900 feet from his island vacation cottage. A representative from Michigan earmarked $486,000 to add a bike lane to a bridge within walking distance of her home.

Congressional earmarks sometimes used to fund projects near lawmakers’ properties

This link takes the reader to a more specific list of perpetrators:
Capitol Assets: Public projects, private interests

dpd0ep.jpg

Same reason why Crook Cantor wanted to gut the bill to end insider trading.

Its never about "welfare" unless its their own.

What its really about is our system. There is never a time when they're not campaigning for the next election.

Pete -
The food stamp president

George W. Bush was the real food stamp president. Just like ALL government in general, the program grew more under his regime than any other time.

Most food stamp recipients are white, elderly and children.

I know its important to you that you keep telling this lie about President Obama because lies are all the rw's has. Won't make it true though.

Same reason why Crook Cantor wanted to gut the bill to end insider trading.

Its never about "welfare" unless its their own.

What its really about is our system. There is never a time when they're not campaigning for the next election.

I fully agree with you on this. And it comes from both sides of the aisle. If you look at that second link, you will notice that the breakdown is pretty much even between the 'R' and the 'D' columns.

Earmarks are either bad or good depending on the SPECIFIC EARMARK.

Do I doubt that many are nothing but pork?

Not one bit.

What I object to is the kneejerking stupidity of some of you in proclaiming that earmark means the same thing as pork.

No, it doesn't.

Seriously kids, educate yourselves.

Not one bit.

What I object to is the kneejerking stupidity of some of you in proclaiming that earmark means the same thing as pork.

No, it doesn't.

I didn't say it did. But there are many more cases where and "earmark" is nothing more than pork, or a payback for services rendered.

Not one bit.

No, it doesn't.

And everyone complains but sends the same folks back to Congress each election.

Not one bit.

No, it doesn't.

I didn't say it did. But there are many more cases where and "earmark" is nothing more than pork, or a payback for services rendered.

Or it's used by the WH to get support for or against certain legislation. And yes, I assume both parties do it or did it.

Not one bit.

No, it doesn't.

The unmanned drones we fly today started out as an earmark. I wouldn't call that pork.

Forum List

Back