It Isn't About the Candidates - It's About the Policies Behind the Candidates

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by George Costanza, Oct 15, 2012.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The issue really should not be Obama v. Romney. It isn't about the men - it's about the ideas and policies behind the men.

I don't care that much for Obama as a person. I didn't like him in the primaries and I don't like him that much as our president. HOWEVER, it isn't about Obama with me. Rather, it is about Democratic programs v. Republican programs, whoever is in the oval office.

Like Obama or not, one can be reasonably sure that with him in the White House, most Democratic ideas and programs will be supported and, hopefully, enacted. Conversely, with Romney in there, what are we going to get - regardless of the type of person Romney is? Republican policies and programs.

I vote policies and programs rather than individual candidates. I think most people do the same - or they damn well should.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    You've been an Obama ass-sucker from Day 1
    Fact

3. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Not at all. It doesn't matter what policies the candidate is endorsing if he lacks the competence to deal effectively with Congress, and the fact is that Obama lacks that competence and Romney has it. The key issues are unemployment, the stagnant economy and soaring deficits. We have four years of proof that Obama can't deal effectively with these issues, but when Romney became governor of Mass., these were the exact issues he faced and he was strapped with an very hostile Democratic legislature. He did exactly what he is proposing to do in Washington, he cut spending and encouraged new business investment and the result was a sharp uptick economic activity leading to a sharp decline in unemployment and billions of dollars of deficits turned into billions of dollars of surpluses.

Obama has spent the last four years putting politics and ideology ahead of positive outcomes for the American people and then hunting for some one to blame for his failures. Romney's entire career in both the public and private sectors has been about producing positive outcomes. The election is all about the men. One man, Romney, has proven to us that he can do what needs to be done, encourage new business investment that will produce new jobs that will lower unemployment and create new tax revenues that along with spending cuts will lower the deficits, and the other man has spent four years proving to us that he can't deal effectively with the nation's problems.

4. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    "It Isn't About the Candidates - It's About the Policies Behind the Candidates"

It IS about the candidates for they support those policies they embrace.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,620
    Oh, c'mon now. That's waaay too technical, logical, sensible, etc., etc.

6. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Precisely my point, sweet thing. Suppose that Romney dropped dead tomorrow, and Hulk Hogan stepped into his shoes. Now you must choose between voting for a Hulk Hogan who is vowing to embrace and support every policy that Romney embraced and supported, or voting for Obama, who is prepared to go opposite to every policy which Hogan would implement.

Who you gonna vote for?

Obviously, this is an absurd example, but it illustrates the point. As I said before, personally, I find Romney much more appealing than Obama so, if I was voting only on that basis, I would vote for Romney in a minute. But the "policies he embraces" are something I am strongly opposed to, so I will vote for Obama, who supports policies with which I aqree.

7. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Actually, she totally missed the point - which it would appear, so have you.

8. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,378
    So now you see the big problem we have and why we got to where we are now.
    I agree, it is about the policies.

9. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    As a side issue - a lot of people (yourself included) conveniently overlook the rather obvious point that, yes - Obama has not solved our economy, unemployment and deficit problems as successfully as most would like. He has made some progress but, regardless, which is better - to continue with someone who is trying to solve these problems, or return to a Republican administration WHEN IT WAS EIGHT YEARS OF A REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION THAT BROUGHT THE PROBLEMS ON TO BEGIN WITH?

When the fox kills almost all of the chickens in the hen house and is then replaced by an electronic alarm system, would the farmer be making a smart move to put the fox back to watch the hen house once again merely because the number of chickens did not increase fast enough for him while the electronic alarm system was in effect?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  10. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    So who do we elect now, in your opinion? (Sorry - not that clear to me from your post here.)