It is time for Republicans to start panicking?

General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Poll Date Sample Obama (D) Romney (R) Spread
RCP Average 1/12 - 2/9 -- 48.4 43.6 Obama +4.8
Rasmussen Reports 2/7 - 2/9 1500 LV 50 40 Obama +10
FOX News 2/6 - 2/9 1110 RV 47 42 Obama +5
Reuters/Ipsos 2/2 - 2/6 881 RV 48 42 Obama +6
ABC News/Wash Post 2/1 - 2/4 879 RV 51 45 Obama +6
USA Today/Gallup 1/27 - 1/28 907 RV 48 48 Tie
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 1/22 - 1/24 RV 49 43 Obama +6
PPP (D) 1/13 - 1/16 700 RV 49 44 Obama +5
CBS News/NY Times 1/12 - 1/16 1021 RV 45 45 Tie

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

For your consideration, Chris:

There has been debate after debate with the republicans beating up on one another as Obama just stands in the background. It would stand to reason right now that the republicans would have lower numbers.
After the primaries Obama won't have that luxury of not getting in the fray. Then the hookin' and jabbin' really begins. This is where the numbers on Obama will start changing....maybe up, maybe down, but rest assured, he will come out bruised.

.....With a better economy, YET!!!!!

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

The odds highly favor Obama at this point, and all the economic trends that are in place favor the odds being even better by November.

The GOP has managed to reduce their field to 2 or 3 bad candidates.

When in history has the out of power party, running a bad candidate, beaten the incumbent at a time when the economy was expanding and unemployment was falling?

Throw in Obama's net positive approval on foreign policy before you answer.

Last edited:
But the GOP hasn't offered a better alternative- yet.

That's pretty much it.

November will be about the trajectory of the economy and whether the GOP can offer up a candidate who isn't a stiff. The only way the GOP avoids a stiff is a brokered convention, and that's still not likely. Ya never know, I guess.

I like Santorum even though he's a bit too religious for me.

But, yeah, this was the best we could come up with? Really?

"... this was the best we could come up with?

Joe, look what the Dems won with in '08.

Everything they were warned about has come to pass....

That's pretty much it.

November will be about the trajectory of the economy and whether the GOP can offer up a candidate who isn't a stiff. The only way the GOP avoids a stiff is a brokered convention, and that's still not likely. Ya never know, I guess.

Ripping Obama does not make our candidates suck less.

I wonder what an evenly divided set of contenders would yield at the RNC Convention?

I keep hearing these whispered rumors -- hints -- of a possibly brokered convention.

The rank and file would revolt, however, if the brokers tried to foist off Romney on them. That's my hunch.

If no more than maybe 33% can get comfortably behind Romney -- and assuming that Gingrich and Santorum split the majority of the rest of the GOP voters' allegiance (and discounting Ron Paul as nothing more than an eventual hindrance, but not a genuine contender), the Convention is going to be wild and wooly.

I frankly would NOT be terribly surprised to see some dark horse candidate emerge whom the rank and file COULD support.

The question then would be: WHO is that potential unifier?

I can't see a brokered convention happening. If there are delegates, they are going to be true believers.

More likely, the top two will just agree to be on the same ticket.

By way purely of hypothetical example --not at all a prediction:

Let's say that the true believer delegates come in 4 flavors. Romney. Gingrich, Santorum and a sprinkle of Ron Paul. Let's say that Ron Paul has barely enough delegates to constitute a maker or breaker. So, for this example, let's say it comes down to 31% to 31% to 31% percent Romney, Santorum, Gingrich and 6 or 7% Ron Paul. (The latter figures are actually silly-high). (Again, just for the sake of illustration).

The true believers -- precisely because they ARE true believers -- don't budge. The ONLY way that convention can nominate anybody is BROKERED.

And while the actual numbers are almost certainly "off," the principle might not be.

Then, in comes the White Knight on the Shining Charger. A Rubio, perhaps. Something to break the logjam. Someone lots of folks might be able to get behind (especially if a wheeler dealer like Gingrich and his crew engge in some horse trading of their own).

Using Newt as an example, the ticket COULD then come out something like Rubio/Gingrich.

Brokered conventions might suck in some ways, but it would be a whale of a "story" this summer. Free advertising. The marketing of a real American dream.

You can't be serious.

Look at the record on which he has to run, and you'll see why he has to attack the GOP candidates.

Ask an Obama supporter to give some examples of accomplishments, either domestic or foreign policy.
Ask 'em how them feel about the promises he's broken.

"Ripping Obama does not make our candidates suck less."
Neither side has all they wish....the GOP's are far better choices: any of 'em.

I wonder what an evenly divided set of contenders would yield at the RNC Convention?

I keep hearing these whispered rumors -- hints -- of a possibly brokered convention.

The rank and file would revolt, however, if the brokers tried to foist off Romney on them. That's my hunch.

If no more than maybe 33% can get comfortably behind Romney -- and assuming that Gingrich and Santorum split the majority of the rest of the GOP voters' allegiance (and discounting Ron Paul as nothing more than an eventual hindrance, but not a genuine contender), the Convention is going to be wild and wooly.

I frankly would NOT be terribly surprised to see some dark horse candidate emerge whom the rank and file COULD support.

The question then would be: WHO is that potential unifier?

I can't see a brokered convention happening. If there are delegates, they are going to be true believers.

Let's say that the true believer delegates come in 4 flavors. Romney. Gingrich, Santorum and a sprinkle of Ron Paul. Let's say that Ron Paul has barely enough delegates to constitute a maker or breaker. So, for this example, let's say it comes down to 31% to 31% to 31% percent Romney, Santorum, Gingrich and 6 or 7% Ron Paul. (The latter figures are actually silly-high). (Again, just for the sake of illustration).

The true believers -- precisely because they ARE true believers -- don't budge. The ONLY way that convention can nominate anybody is BROKERED.

And while the actual numbers are almost certainly "off," the principle might not be.

Then, in comes the White Knight on the Shining Charger. A Rubio, perhaps. Something to break the logjam. Someone lots of folks might be able to get behind (especially if a wheeler dealer like Gingrich and his crew engge in some horse trading of their own).

Using Newt as an example, the ticket COULD then come out something like Rubio/Gingrich.

Brokered conventions might suck in some ways, but it would be a whale of a "story" this summer. Free advertising. The marketing of a real American dream.

And the biggest landslide defeat in American History. Obama will crush Rubio/Gingrich.
Rubio/Gingrich couldn't get 15% of the national Hispanic vote.

That's pretty much it.

"They"???????

Any chance you could be more-clear about what you're trying to say?
:eusa_eh:

Your party would do better if your ideas were not so bad.

Get some new Ideas that might actually be good for the American people

How about these: individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government?
When individualism includes telling religious-fundamentalists to pack their "morals" straight-up-their-ass.....and, outta the law-books....that'd be a good start.​

You can't be serious.

Look at the record on which he has to run, and you'll see why he has to attack the GOP candidates.

Ask an Obama supporter to give some examples of accomplishments.....
You mean because you've got the option (somehow) of not being specific????

We_Got_Nothing.jpg

Don't you have hair, to do, or something?

303.gif

And the biggest landslide defeat in American History. Obama will crush Rubio/Gingrich.

You are quite wrong. And misguided, too.

For the record, that's not a good combination.

wow.....whatta convincing argument.

handjob.gif

If I were a Repub voter, I'd sit this election out given their current crop of candidates. (that goes for 2000 & 2004 too :) )

If I were a Repub voter, I'd sit this election out given their current crop of candidates. (that goes for 2000 & 2004 too :) )
What's really driving them crazy is, they know their chances (of reoccupying the Oval Office) will get more-slim, after this election....that Bill & Hill are Whitehouse-bound (again), in 2016!!!!

clintonhillbillwave4.jpg

It is time for Republicans to start panicking?

No. That was January 2009. Thanks for caring though.

What's really driving them crazy is, they know their chances (of reoccupying the Oval Office) will get more-slim, after this election....that Bill & Hill are Whitehouse-bound (again), in 2016!!!!

clintonhillbillwave4.jpg

Yeah. The word has come down from China then? Good to know. ;)

Factoring in the current 'First Amendment' debacle, and that a huge percentage of hispancis are very staunch Catholics.... that's not gonna play well for Obama. :eusa_angel:

Factoring in the current 'First Amendment' debacle, and that a huge percentage of hispancis are very staunch Catholics.... that's not gonna play well for Obama. :eusa_angel:

What is most scary about Obama is how he tramples into one mine field after another without regard for decency. It's like he thinks he is God, Emperor, Dictator,The Pope, The Caliphate, all rolled into one, and no other perspective is of any value. So much for Individual Witness and Liberty.

This month's polling....

Rasmussen Reports 2/8 - 2/10 1500 LV 49 42 Obama +7
FOX News 2/6 - 2/9 1110 RV 47 42 Obama +5
Reuters/Ipsos 2/2 - 2/6 881 RV 48 42 Obama +6
ABC News/Wash Post 2/1 - 2/4 879 RV 51 45 Obama +6

Forum List

Back