It is time for Republicans to start panicking?

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Poll Date Sample Obama (D) Romney (R) Spread
RCP Average 1/12 - 2/9 -- 48.4 43.6 Obama +4.8
Rasmussen Reports 2/7 - 2/9 1500 LV 50 40 Obama +10
FOX News 2/6 - 2/9 1110 RV 47 42 Obama +5
Reuters/Ipsos 2/2 - 2/6 881 RV 48 42 Obama +6
ABC News/Wash Post 2/1 - 2/4 879 RV 51 45 Obama +6
USA Today/Gallup 1/27 - 1/28 907 RV 48 48 Tie
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 1/22 - 1/24 RV 49 43 Obama +6
PPP (D) 1/13 - 1/16 700 RV 49 44 Obama +5
CBS News/NY Times 1/12 - 1/16 1021 RV 45 45 Tie

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

They've been panicking since we found out there were no WMD's.

Looking ahead to November, Obama edges Republican Mitt Romney by 5 percentage points (47-42 percent) in a hypothetical matchup today. In January, the president had a narrow one-point edge (46-45 percent). Both leads are within the polls’ margins of sampling error.

The president’s advantage widens against the other GOP contenders. Obama leads Ron Paul by 10 percentage points (48-38 percent), Rick Santorum by 12 points (50-38 percent) and Newt Gingrich by 13 points (51-38 percent).

Among independents, Romney tops Obama by 9 points. Last month, independents also broke for Romney (by 5 points).

More voters overall would be enthusiastic or pleased if Romney (28 percent) or Santorum (27 percent) were to become president than Gingrich (23 percent) or Paul (21 percent). Still, President Barack Obama tops them all, as 41 percent of voters would be enthusiastic or pleased if he were re-elected.

Fox News Poll: Obama Holds Edge Over Republicans In Matchups | Fox News

Not really.

I do think Romney is a sure fire loser, to be sure, and Obama will get a second term if they nominate him. But I thought that when the spread was only 1.2.

The thing about Romney is the more people get to know him, the less they like him.

However, end of the day, this thing is going to be decided on the economy. Right now, it seems to be improving. But there are whole lot of pitfalls between now and October.

Europe could collapse, setting off another world wide recession.

Israel could attack Iran, driving gasoline up over $5.00 a gallon.

The Chinese economy is much more tenuous than folks think it is.

The sad thing is, Obama doesn't really deserve a second term. He's been an awful president. But the GOP hasn't offered a better alternative- yet.

Looking ahead to November, Obama edges Republican Mitt Romney by 5 percentage points (47-42 percent) in a hypothetical matchup today. In January, the president had a narrow one-point edge (46-45 percent). Both leads are within the polls’ margins of sampling error.

The president’s advantage widens against the other GOP contenders. Obama leads Ron Paul by 10 percentage points (48-38 percent), Rick Santorum by 12 points (50-38 percent) and Newt Gingrich by 13 points (51-38 percent).

Among independents, Romney tops Obama by 9 points. Last month, independents also broke for Romney (by 5 points).

More voters overall would be enthusiastic or pleased if Romney (28 percent) or Santorum (27 percent) were to become president than Gingrich (23 percent) or Paul (21 percent). Still, President Barack Obama tops them all, as 41 percent of voters would be enthusiastic or pleased if he were re-elected.

YOu can find all the polls you want, but the fact is, no one is happy with any of these guys.

None of the Above would be surefire winner, if we could get him on the ballot.

But the GOP hasn't offered a better alternative- yet.

That's pretty much it.

November will be about the trajectory of the economy and whether the GOP can offer up a candidate who isn't a stiff. The only way the GOP avoids a stiff is a brokered convention, and that's still not likely. Ya never know, I guess.

I like Santorum even though he's a bit too religious for me.

But, yeah, this was the best we could come up with? Really?

Yes, we are panicking (panicing???).

The establishment GOP is shoving a moderate down our throats who cannot beat obama. They have effectively destroyed the candidacy of anyone who can challenge Romney.

While true, the above statements are not the main reason we are panicked. We are panicked because we know what a disaster obama will be if he wins again. This country will never recover from it.

Your party would do better if your ideas were not so bad.

Get some new Ideas that might actually be good for the American people

Hell, we are recovering from Bush.

You people should really nominate Santorum, Bachman, or Gingrinch. Then you could really enjoy the can of whoopass that the voters will unload on you.

I realize that you would really like to have a candidate to represent 'Conservative' thinking, but Attila the Hun is long dead. Sorry 'bout that.

I would like to have seen what Jeb and Daniels had to say. I liked Daniels' "truce on social issues" idea, but that one really pissed of the hardcore. Evidently his wife said "no" because he had not been taking out the trash regularly enough.

We'll see, one of those two may still end up in the mix.

Not really.

I do think Romney is a sure fire loser, to be sure, and Obama will get a second term if they nominate him. But I thought that when the spread was only 1.2.

The thing about Romney is the more people get to know him, the less they like him.

However, end of the day, this thing is going to be decided on the economy. Right now, it seems to be improving. But there are whole lot of pitfalls between now and October.

Europe could collapse, setting off another world wide recession.

Israel could attack Iran, driving gasoline up over $5.00 a gallon.

The Chinese economy is much more tenuous than folks think it is.

The sad thing is, Obama doesn't really deserve a second term. He's been an awful president. But the GOP hasn't offered a better alternative- yet.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, with the exception of Obama being an awful president. From a conservative standpoint, sure; but from a moderate or liberal standpoint, he hasn't been awful - good to mediocre maybe, but not awful.

He has managed to accomplish a lot - especially when you consider the obstructionism he faced from congressional Republicans. Sure, the first year or so of his term, he had a majority in both houses; but in the senate, it was a small majority (by senate standards), which meant that Democrats had to waterdown a lot of legislation to get enough moderate Republicans to vote with them.

Republicans have proven time and time again that they have no interest in working with this president - even on lehislation that was originally their idea. It's going to take a lot more than folding arms and stomping feet for Republicans to convince America that they deserve to run the country.

And on top of those legislative victories, he has a number of foreign policy achievements under his belt that will undoubtedly appeal to people of all political stripes; Bin Laden, Ghaddafi, and any one of the killed or captured AQ leaders could attest to that.

After seeing all of the actions of Obama and the turmoil it has caused in just the last two weeks it's clear that he's not that popular. He needs the media to bail him out. He is so out of touch with the public that it takes a media operating on a 24 hr news cycle just to patch up his image.

Most of us are laughing at you Chris, for your dogged support of this guy.

I would like to have seen what Jeb and Daniels had to say. I liked Daniels' "truce on social issues" idea, but that one really pissed of the hardcore. Evidently his wife said "no" because he had not been taking out the trash regularly enough.

We'll see, one of those two may still end up in the mix.

I think Jeb is waiting around until 2016. He knows by that time

1) Obama can't run again.
2) People will be ready for a change.
3) People will have forgotten the worst aspects of his brother's presidency

Forum List

Back