It is rather sad...

BasicGreatGuy

Aut libertas aut mors
Aug 2, 2009
Atlanta
It is rather sad, that manners and integrity are trampled under foot by so many on the internet. With freedom of expression comes a responsibility. So many reveling in their cancerous rancor toward others, shooting the arrows of viciousness and contempt towards the mirror of self the glass giving way and cutting the flesh of others.

Why do so many of you relish is being vile towards yourself and others? And to make the sore all the more inflamed, the very words and actions that are vile and hateful, are often the very ones that are lauded and praised.

For some, it is easier to become that which they once abhorred, than walk the road less traveled.

We must speak the truth with earnest hearts and temperate tongues, lest we engage in the soliloquy of poetic fools.

It is rather sad, that manners and integrity are trampled under foot by so many on the internet. With freedom of expression comes a responsibility. So many reveling in their cancerous rancor toward others, shooting the arrows of viciousness and contempt towards the mirror of self the glass giving way and cutting the flesh of others.

Why do so many of you relish is being vile towards yourself and others? And to make the sore all the more inflamed, the very words and actions that are vile and hateful, are often the very ones that are lauded and praised.

For some, it is easier to become that which they once abhorred, than walk the road less traveled.

We must speak the truth with earnest hearts and temperate tongues, lest we engage in the soliloquy of poetic fools.

hu man na ture

hu man na ture

That is a pathetic excuse. Trying to rationalize being vulgar and rude to others, because it is seen as fun or not real, just because it is on the internet, is not going to cut it.

It is human nature to go to the bathroom. That doesn't mean that you should soil yourself and others, just because you think it is 'human nature.'

hu man na ture

That is a pathetic excuse. Trying to rationalize being vulgar and rude to others, because it is seen as fun or not real, just because it is on the internet, is not going to cut it.

It is human nature to go to the bathroom. That doesn't mean that you should soil yourself and others, just because you think it is 'human nature.'

thank you, you were needed to show me the way. here is a hint: you were insulting me with your answer and with your pretentious OP, that would be a starting point to fight, hu man na ture.

hu man na ture

thank you, you were needed to show me the way. here is a hint: you were insulting me with your answer and with your pretentious OP, that would be a starting point to fight, hu man na ture.

I didn't personally accuse you of being guilty of what I spoke of. It seems you have an attack of the guilts. I have not been rude to you. I simply called your reply what it was, in a honest and civil manner. The truth stings like a sharp bitter wind sometimes.

I didn't personally accuse you of being guilty of what I spoke of. It seems you have an attack of the guilts. I have not been rude to you. I simply called your reply what it was, in a honest and civil manner. The truth stings like a sharp bitter wind sometimes.

let us restart. i think your quest is quixotic as human nature will always foil your good intentions, exhibit a: your thread

let us restart. i think your quest is quixotic as human nature will always foil your good intentions, exhibit a: your thread

Granted, we are all imperfect. At the same time, that simple fact should not be used as some kind of crutch or excuse, to not do our best.

Granted, we are all imperfect. At the same time, that simple fact should not be used as some kind of crutch or excuse, to not do our best.

you are right, but you are don quixote if you actually try to pursue this noble goal on a political message board.

Yes, as humans are social animals, and as this is a micro-society, we will attempt to enforce proper behavior of those in that society through social means - showing proper behavior in return for its being given and ridicule/dismiss/shun/etc. those out of societal norms - sociopaths, in its most base definition. Societal enforcement of law is the much more effective than any authoritarian enforcement, only when speech is completely free, that is. It's quite fitting in the libertarian ideals, as a matter of fact.

Last edited:

I think it's good that people have a place to blow off some steam and can hide in the virtual world without repercussions. Sometimes... it down right pisses me off when I run across the bluntly ignorant. I've reconciled that maybe if they blow it out in the virtual, they just might not in the real.

I always try to be respectful and humorous but seem to enjoy getting the heat up a little..I believe you just have to accept what is and deal with it... or just move on..

you are right, but you are don quixote if you actually try to pursue this noble goal on a political message board.
I am a fool, if I do my best to treat others as I wish to be treated, even if they are nasty towards me?

It serves no purpose for me to be vulgar and nasty back to those who revel in such behavior. That wouldn't say much for me as a person, if I allow and encourage others to treat me in a manner I don't find respectful.

On the other hand, if I do my best to treat others in a manner befitting respect for self, I (believe) will receive (as a whole) like behavior. Some might realize the foolish and hateful nature of their actions, and decide a different course of action is in order. And for some, no matter what happens, they are going to be ugly and vile.

Just because this is the internet, that isn't an excuse to be as ugly as one can be toward others.

I am a fool, if I do my best to treat others as I wish to be treated, even if they are nasty towards me?

It serves no purpose for me to be vulgar and nasty back to those who revel in such behavior. That wouldn't say much for me as a person, if I allow and encourage others to treat me in a manner I don't find respectful.

On the other hand, if I do my best to treat others in a manner befitting respect for self, I (believe) will receive (as a whole) like behavior. Some might realize the foolish and hateful nature of their actions, and decide a different course of action is in order. And for some, no matter what happens, they are going to be ugly and vile.

Just because this is the internet, that isn't an excuse to be as ugly as one can be toward others.

ooops, you think don quixote was a fool, i think he was an idealist.

I think it's good that people have a place to blow off some steam and can hide in the virtual world without repercussions. Sometimes... it down right pisses me off when I run across the bluntly ignorant. I've reconciled that maybe if they blow it out in the virtual, they just might not in the real.

I always try to be respectful and humorous but seem to enjoy getting the heat up a little..I believe you just have to accept what is and deal with it... or just move on..

I understand having a place to 'unwind' as it were Lumpy. I understand we all have our 'bad' moments, where we say things we later regret and try to rectify. I am speaking in reference to people who show the utmost disrespect to self and others by the way they interact with others on here.

The core point is, we are more than mere nicknames on a message board. We are real individuals with real emotions, passions, troubles, and everything in between.

I don't think there should be one set of rules when we are on the internet, and one when we are off the internet. I think we should do our best to be respectful whether we are on the internet or off the internet. And if we run across people who want to act in a hateful manner no matter what, it is best (in my opinion) to either point out a wrong and move forward, or ignore them all together.

I think the gross incivility is affecting more than our internet affiliations. I think the incivility is reaching across into many interpersonal relationships.

I don't think civility and decorum is passe.

He was a fictional character. I am a real person. I asked you a real person question.

Yes, as humans are social animals, and as this is a micro-society, we will attempt to enforce proper behavior of those in that society through social means - showing proper behavior in return for its being given and ridicule/dismiss/shun/etc. those out of societal norms - sociopaths, in its most base definition. Societal enforcement of law is the much more effective than any authoritarian enforcement, only when speech is completely free, that is. It's quite fitting in the libertarian ideals, as a matter of fact.

Do you have a big leather, high back, puffy, lazy gal, chair .. fireplace smoldering and a pipe at the ready?... just wondering...:eusa_eh:

Do you have a big leather, high back, puffy, lazy gal, chair .. fireplace smoldering and a pipe at the ready?... just wondering...:eusa_eh:
OK BGG even you have to laugh at this one. :lol:

He was a fictional character. I am a real person. I asked you a real person question.

please, ask it again, i re-read your stuff in this thread, i found some grammatical errors, but no question for me:

Why do so many of you relish is being vile towards yourself and others?

Unless one is dealing with a sociopath, I believe the overall demeanor of the societal microcosm can have an effect on the individuals within. Like you, I believe this message board (such as it is) is its own microcosm that is symbolic of general point I was making about society as a whole.

please, ask it again, i re-read your stuff in this thread, i found some grammatical errors, but no question for me:

Why do so many of you relish is being vile towards yourself and others?

Yes, I probably do have grammatical errors in my posts. I did ask a question of you. That is not the subject of the thread though. It is irrelevant to the question asked to you.

I am a fool, if I do my best to treat others as I wish to be treated, even if they are nasty towards me? That is the question I asked of you. You did not answer.

Unless one is dealing with a sociopath, I believe the overall demeanor of the societal microcosm can have an effect on the individuals within. Like you, I believe this message board (such as it is) is its own microcosm that is symbolic of general point I was making about society as a whole.
To see if there is some common ground on this, do you believe that for continued effective functioning of a society, that punishment of those operating outside the societal norms is a requirement?

New Topics

Forum List

Back