It is only a few after all, right?

Another glaring example of how kind and benevolent the religion of Islam and it's doctrines are. Ohh and how the mainstream part of the religion do not condone such actions....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071128/ap_on_re_mi_ea/sudan_british_teacher

"Ohh and how the mainstream part of the religion do not condone such actions...."

Google is your friend....

Muslims in Sudan and Britain have defended the mother-of-two, who had only been in Sudan since leaving England in July.

"It's all my fault," Mohammed, a pupil in Gibbons' class, told Reuters.

"The teacher asked me what I wanted to call the teddy. I said Mohammed. I named it after my name."

The pupil described his teacher as a nice person who had never meant to offend his religion.

He said Gibbons had never talked about religion or Prophet Muhammad in the class.

"We studied maths and English and spelling."

A Muslim teacher in the same school also defended Gibbons.

"I had no problem with it at all," said the teacher, whose own kids study in the school.

"I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed she got them to vote."

The umbrella Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) had earlier condemned the arrest and called for a quick release for Gibbons.

"This is a very unfortunate incident and Ms Gibbons should never have been arrested in the first place," MCB Secretary General Muhammad Abdul Bari said.

"It is obvious that no malice was intended

http://www.islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=62648

Leading Muslims yesterday said Sudan's arrest of British teacher Gillian Gibbons for letting schoolkids name a teddy bear Mohammed was a ridiculous over-reaction.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/11/27/british-teacher-facing-40-lashes-89520-20165226/

"Ohh and how the mainstream part of the religion do not condone such actions...."

Google is your friend....

Yet she is in prison and will be tried by a law that DOES in fact forbid her from naming the teddy bear that name. Sure thing, bury that head even deeper in that hole. Maybe you can get deep enough your ass wont be hanging out for them to find you.

do you want to be judged based on the behavour of your fellows, warren jeffs?

Yet she is in prison and will be tried by a law that DOES in fact forbid her from naming the teddy bear that name. Sure thing, bury that head even deeper in that hole. Maybe you can get deep enough your ass wont be hanging out for them to find you.

I'll bet you she's going to be released, and not convicted. I bet you the reaction of most muslims, and everyone else in the world, is going to be to condemn this charge, and the idiots in the Sudanese education ministry who brought this fradulent and exaggerated charge will cave.

You will almost always find what you are looking for. If you start with a bias you will find events to support your bias. It is an easy game. If I wanted to I could find examples of good deeds done in the name of Islam. It sure is a shame that people are so eager to choose sides and look only for the best in “us” and to look for only the worst in “them”.

I'll bet you she's going to be released, and not convicted. I bet you the reaction of most muslims, and everyone else in the world, is going to be to condemn this charge, and the idiots in the Sudanese education ministry who brought this fradulent and exaggerated charge will cave.

San Diego Tribune

many ordinary Sudanese said they were ready to forgive Gibbons if she apologised.

'When we heard we wanted to demonstrate immediately but some said we should wait and see what the concerned authorities find out,' said Abdallah, a science student.

Shopkeeper Sabir Abdel Karim said that if Gibbons had not intended to insult Islam, an apology to Muslims would be enough to end the problem.

'Any one can make a mistake and Muslims are forgivers. She will be forgiven and God will be the judge

Face it RSG...this was another pathetic attempt by you to paint all muslims as crazed radicals. You're an islamo-phobe.

San Diego Tribune

many ordinary Sudanese said they were ready to forgive Gibbons if she apologised.

'When we heard we wanted to demonstrate immediately but some said we should wait and see what the concerned authorities find out,' said Abdallah, a science student.

Shopkeeper Sabir Abdel Karim said that if Gibbons had not intended to insult Islam, an apology to Muslims would be enough to end the problem.

'Any one can make a mistake and Muslims are forgivers. She will be forgiven and God will be the judge

Face it RSG...this was another pathetic attempt by you to paint all muslims as crazed radicals. You're an islamo-phobe.

Your a moron. She must apologize because she named a bear Mohammed? And you think that is fine? Come on keep digging that hole your ass is still hanging out to be spotted by the coming Muslim Government. Better yet just learn arabic and become a muslim now, but be sure to pick the right sect.

Your a moron. She must apologize because she named a bear Mohammed? And you think that is fine? Come on keep digging that hole your ass is still hanging out to be spotted by the coming Muslim Government. Better yet just learn arabic and become a muslim now, but be sure to pick the right sect.

You don't travel, or get outside of the US much, do you.

People make mistakes all the time, if they're not aware of local cultural traditions. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for being drunk and taking a piss on the Alamo in San Antonio. As a Brit, he didn't know the significance of the alamo. He was actually convicted. The outrage of texans was palpable. But, in my view, a simple apology from him to the citizens of san antonio, saying he wasn't aware of the cultural significance of the alamo, would have been sufficient.

You don't travel, or get outside of the US much, do you.

People make mistakes all the time, if they're not aware of local cultural traditions. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for being drunk and taking a piss on the Alamo in San Antonio. As a Brit, he didn't know the significance of the alamo. He was actually convicted. The outrage of texans was palpable. But, in my view, a simple apology from him to the citizens of san antonio, saying he wasn't aware of the cultural significance of the alamo, would have been sufficient.

This is alittle different then pissing on the alamo..

Any polite person would apologise for accidentally offending people or a religion. Nothing wrong with that.

You walk along the same street every day. One day a piece of wire lays across the footpath, you don't see it, you trip and fall into somebody else. Not your fault per se. You didn't mean to fall into that person. It was not a purposeful act. Do you get up and carry on walking as if nothing happened, or do you apologise even if it isn't your fault?

No, it is not. This is somebody who did something culturally insensitive without realising it. Let us not forget, she is in THEIR country, and it is - in the north anyway - a fundie Islamic state. Most Muslims think a simple apology is all that is needed. No harm, no foul. It is the govt that is over reacting, not the population. Do not forget, RGS hates anything Muslim, and anything that sees the WHOLE religion and ALL practitioners in a bad light, make his day. Of course if you were to suggest that all Christians have similar morals to Jimmy Baker or Swaggert RGS would get all pissy - because it is quite acceptable to put all Muslims in one bag, but not so Christians...shrug..

Not at all. The alamo is basically a pile of old adobe and bricks. If you weren't culturally sensitized to the cultural significance of the alamo, you might take a pee on it too (be honest men, we've all pee'd in public).

Its totally comman to make mistakes, if one is unfamiliar with local culture. Its just COMMON MANNERS to apologize for inadvertently offending anyone. Where were you bush voters raised? In a barn?

I think this Sudanese officials are idiots and are over reacting. But, this thread was just another in a long line of strawmen RSG has posted, painting all muslims as boogeymen. Its no wonder american muslims have deserted the GOP in droves. Its not just RSG that does it.

Bottom line: this women will never be convicted or beaten. Bank on it. And most muslims will realize that her mistake was entirely inadvertent. An apology on her part is just common courtesy, for those who were raised properly.

Why is it that we have to appease every Muslim or any other race, religion, ethnic group but as soon as we enter another country we must ABIDE by their customs? Hell, no one respects ours so screw em all.

Why is it that we have to appease every Muslim or any other race, religion, ethnic group but as soon as we enter another country we must ABIDE by their customs? Hell, no one respects ours so screw em all.

Agreed.. also Christians are not flying planes into buildings and killing innocent people.. Islamic followers are..

Islamic followers are the least tolerant people on this planet and we have to be tolerant of them? Why?

do you think that arabic is the official language of Islam?

OK, so you think it's okay to go to another country and not abide by their cultural mores? How do you feel when people do that here? I think it's kind of sad to see people who are so ethnocentric that they think it's only important that other people are respectful of their own beliefs.

I think we'd all do well to be respectful of each others. But feel free to be as ignorant as the people you rail against. S'okay.

OK, so you think it's okay to go to another country and not abide by their cultural mores? How do you feel when people do that here? I think it's kind of sad to see people who are so ethnocentric that they think it's only important that other people are respectful of their own beliefs.

I think we'd all do well to be respectful of each others. But feel free to be as ignorant as the people you rail against. S'okay.

Wrong, I've traveled abroad and have always been respectful. My argument is why we have to be respectful and tolerant when they aren't. Immigrants entering this country should be tolerant of our culture, not hiding behind the aclu and using our constitution against us.

Forum List

Back