It is officially better to be on welfare than to work

The chart isn't correct, idiot.

Oh god I can hear you now...

"THE CHART IS CORRECT! THE CHART IS CORRECT! THE CHART IS CORRECT! THE CHART IS CORRECT! THE CHART IS CORRECT!"

Just keep repeating it, my beloved friend.

The chart is correct in the larger sense of what it is showing: it is very expensive to get off welfare. That's why we have many more people in entitlement programs today than 4 years ago. It's like the roach motel.

Exactly! Thats obamas plan!

It is? Do you know this as fact? If true....we need to do something!

All I know is that I never want to be on welfare and never wanted to be. Being poor sucks been there done that. IF there are people on welfare, and there are, who will never get off that is a testimony to there not being jobs for these low skilled people. Why would there be? Clinton sent our low skilled jobs out of the country with NAFTA and GATT and now the left supports a flood of low skilled immigration almost unchecked. So what in the hell are these people to do? Sell drugs and hang out is all the country has to offer, it isn't surprising that is what they do. In my opinion the liberals, well meaning, have killed the American dream. It is also my opinion that after destroying jobs for the low tech worker they tried to restore the dream through lending practices which resulted in the housing bubble. A bubble that has hurt all of America. As I said they did it with good intentions in my opinion but that does not make the results any less disastrous. Problem is I don't see how we can ever go back without on giant economic reset and that will be very painful.

Clinton? Liberals? Where have you been since the Reagan Revolution? Living in a cave?

Our jobs have been sent overseas through every administration from Reagan to this one. To blame the left for it is just downright dishonest.

Thats Sarahs BS.

I know folks on Welfare and they aren't addicts or drunks. The only work they do is under the table. They Don't pay taxes yet get money back for their kids every year. They also don't pay rent or pay for food. They don't pay for medical and dental treatments for their kids. We taxpayers do all that for them.

Who says they are dumb? Not me.

What? They work?

Lies sure do come easily to you nutters. That entire post is nothing but a lie.

Sure it is. Just keep telling yourself that everyone on Welfare deserves it.

Your a gullible fool and its just to bad that you aren't forced to support them all by yourself. I'm sure you would be singing a different tune then. Your laughable.

Thats Sarahs BS.

I know folks on Welfare and they aren't addicts or drunks. The only work they do is under the table. They Don't pay taxes yet get money back for their kids every year. They also don't pay rent or pay for food. They don't pay for medical and dental treatments for their kids. We taxpayers do all that for them.

What? They work?

Your a gullible fool and its just to bad that you aren't forced to support them all by yourself. I'm sure you would be singing a different tune then. Your laughable.

Its the progressive way. Always generous, as long as it is with other people's money.

Did ya read that, people? The libs have good intentions after all. Heartwarming.

To think otherwise, considering the outcome of all things liberal, would be to think the liberals as evil and mean, i don't think that, they are just misguided in their approach.

The details themselves dont really matter here. The truth is that the chart is correct. The marginal cost of getting off welfare is too high. So people stay on it rather than get jobs.

And that bolded part just about perfectly sums up everything you and the rest of the fake conservatives stand for. Well said.

All I know is that I never want to be on welfare and never wanted to be. Being poor sucks been there done that. IF there are people on welfare, and there are, who will never get off that is a testimony to there not being jobs for these low skilled people. Why would there be? Clinton sent our low skilled jobs out of the country with NAFTA and GATT and now the left supports a flood of low skilled immigration almost unchecked. So what in the hell are these people to do? Sell drugs and hang out is all the country has to offer, it isn't surprising that is what they do. In my opinion the liberals, well meaning, have killed the American dream. It is also my opinion that after destroying jobs for the low tech worker they tried to restore the dream through lending practices which resulted in the housing bubble. A bubble that has hurt all of America. As I said they did it with good intentions in my opinion but that does not make the results any less disastrous. Problem is I don't see how we can ever go back without on giant economic reset and that will be very painful.

Clinton? Liberals? Where have you been since the Reagan Revolution? Living in a cave?

Our jobs have been sent overseas through every administration from Reagan to this one. To blame the left for it is just downright dishonest.

OMG it was predicted and happened your opinion isn't evidence. Besides are there not liberals on this board bragging about how many elections they have won? Well if they are right they are criminal in bitching about exporting jobs and not doing a damn thing about it.

Any way, since you don't seem to have a memory here is a blast from the past:

Years ago, when Ross Perot was running for President, he said free trade agreements would be the end of America. That "sucking sound" he called it. In fact Perot said, "it would wreck America." The wreck is here.

Ross Perot was right. So now that we've lost 15-25 million jobs to cheap foreign labor, just who is going to fuel the engine of growth? The illusion that we can spend our way out of debt is based on one single axiom. Growth. Growth is the engine that has allowed the U.S. to escape every economic downturn. So with the absence of all of those consumer purchasing, tax paying jobs, just how are we going to work our way out of debt?

Answer. We can't. In the past, we could spend our way out of debt. Easy credit greased and fueled growth. But we have lost all of our jobs- our ability to grow. That's why there is no end in sight.

View the Perot prophecy here: (remember this was 20 years ago)

The Federalist: The giant sucking sound of jobs leaving America

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rkgx1C_S6ls]Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Thats Sarahs BS.

What? They work?

Does everyone on welfare take advantage of the system? Is there anyone on welfare who genuinely needs it and is working to get off of it?

It is not better to be on welfare. Your entire life belongs to the government, you do not earn anywhere near 29,000 and you don't get that many benefits, not at all.

You have to live in squaller and in an even more dangerous neighborhood than anything you all have been exposed to. Your kids are in danger everyday. It isn't a positive experience. Food stamps aren't nearly enough to feed a family. For a kid, your parents are likely users or drunks or simply can't find work that pays enough nor are they insured.

It's something though for whatever reason people find themselves in a situation where they need welfare. If they have it, they are not on the streets anyway.

yes, but reality offends the blowhard.

The details themselves dont really matter here. The truth is that the chart is correct. The marginal cost of getting off welfare is too high. So people stay on it rather than get jobs.

And that bolded part just about perfectly sums up everything you and the rest of the fake conservatives stand for. Well said.

I do recall progressives going with the whole "fake but accurate" meme when it came to the GWB Air National Guard letter thing that got Dan Rather canned.

There are instances where the welfare recipient is dis-incentivized to work or working more.
Where I work, some employees will refuse the opportunity to be scheduled more hours because doing so would reduce the amount of their assistance more than the income from the added hours.

Please elaborate on that claim.

Grocery industry.
If their income exceeds a certain level, they will experience a reduction in benefits, which makes sense, but it's not worth it to them to work more hours so they decline.

From Mississippi to ‘The Corner’: A Tale of Right-Wing Wrongness

Problem is, the chart is full of errors. I traced it back to the man who made it, a newspaper publisher in Mississippi, and found that the math, methodology, and logic he used to generate the chart, as well as an op-ed he wrote to accompany it, are wholly unsound. To make matters worse, despite the chart’s cringe-worthy flaws, very few outlets on the Internet, from small-scope blogs to a handful of forums hosted by major national publications, bothered to fact-check it. The story of the chart is a distressing new Exhibit A for those who argue that, practically speaking, there’s no longer any such thing as objective reality in the digital age.

Perhaps more frustrating than the chart’s numerical errors is the language that accompanies it. In the column he penned for his newspaper, Emmerich’s claimed that the family making $14,500 has more “disposable income” than the family making $60,000, a reference to the “total” numbers at the bottom of the chart. But the chart conflates disposable income with economic benefits. Some items on the chart, like the tax credit, are disposable income, unrestricted money the families can use as they please. But other items, like food stamps, are government benefits that must be used for specific purposes. Adding these two types of items together is like adding apples and oranges.

When I asked Emmerich about his decision to use “disposable income” in his column to describe the totals in his chart, he quickly acknowledged that “‘economic benefit’ … is the more precise term.” But this error had already done its damage: As Emmerich’s chart and column gained momentum around the Internet, people continued to refer to its totals as “disposable income.” Then, like Emmerich, they used this descriptor to take an absurd leap of logic, asserting that, with money in their pockets, poor people have no incentive to hold jobs.

In the right-wing blogosphere, truth isn't important. The objective is to feed the misperception, to validate the prejudices of the True Believers.
its the same in the Left-Wing Blogosphere.....

There are instances where the welfare recipient is dis-incentivized to work or working more.
Where I work, some employees will refuse the opportunity to be scheduled more hours because doing so would reduce the amount of their assistance more than the income from the added hours.

Please elaborate on that claim.

Grocery industry.
If their income exceeds a certain level, they will experience a reduction in benefits, which makes sense, but it's not worth it to them to work more hours so they decline.

Sad

can you tell that to Dean?......he thinks its only Republicans doing that.....thanx....

You think so?

Try it.

I know of a few people that have quit their job to be on welfare full time. This one guy quit his 2800 dollar a month job for 3200 in welfare. He was 110 pds over weight... Also know this girl that lost her job in the medical field because she wanted to be cut back to part-time so she could stay on TENNCARE. They just fired her. Now she is making more money. She leased a 2013 Ford Fusion last week.

You think so?

Try it.

I know of a few people that have quit their job to be on welfare full time. This one guy quit his 2800 dollar a month job for 3200 in welfare. He was 110 pds over weight... Also know this girl that lost her job in the medical field because she wanted to be cut back to part-time so she could stay on TENNCARE. They just fired her. Now she is making more money. She leased a 2013 Ford Fusion last week.

I know a few people who are full of SHIT.

Sorry but if welfare was all it was cracked up to be, I'd quit my 22k a year job for it.

But it's not, and you're a full fledged fucking liar. It must feel awful being such a liar. I used to be like you back in the day when I was a conservative. Make up outlandish claims, fabricated stories just to try and make a point and feel like I have the upper hand.

But god damn, glad I wised up to that almost a decade ago.

So according to this 'theory', I should be seeing people on welfare owning just as nice a home and driving just as nice a car as someone making 60,000 a year.

Where would I go to see that?

Forum List

Back