It is NOT racism

Why is committing an amount of crimes approximately equal to the percentage of the population bad?
Could it be because crime by definition is bad? Again you miss the point. The point is and always has been that whites commit the vast majority of crime here in the US. Trying to use quantum physics to prove Blacks are the ones that commit the most crime is simply white deflection from the raw data.

You are ignoring the whole premise here. Crime happens. It always has, it likely always will. Once one accepts that, is there some percentage of crimes committed that is acceptable for whites to commit? Is the amount of crime committed by every race unacceptable, because all crime in unacceptable, or is it only a problem for whites?

Of course whites commit the majority of crime. That should be the case because whites are the majority of the people in the country.

Lowering crime is a good thing. That is not what this discussion has been about, however; it's been about why whites committing a certain percentage of crime is bad. You seem to look at any description of data as somehow inherently bad.

And I have not said that blacks commit the most crime. No one is trying to "use quantum physics." There have merely been some statistical descriptions used, sometimes poorly.

No, you are wrong. The OP started with a lie and we have countered that lie.

Exactly. The premise was that Black people are more criminal even though whites commit 69% of the crime in the US. Again thats 69% which substantially over half the crime. The premise is faulty for a number of reasons. First whites lead in total crimes. Thats pretty obvious and reflective of the raw data. Secondly and more importantly, whites have absolutely no reason to be criminals. They are on the plus side when it comes to wealth. So we have an economically disadvantaged racial group vs a economically advantaged racial group and the one that has no reason to be criminals are committing the vast majority of the crimes.

Why don't you give a list of reasons that people have to be criminals. So far, it seems as if that lists consists of being victims of systemic racism, and that's it. :p

By the way, while you are certainly right that whites commit the most crimes, you apparently don't realize that whites make up the most poor people in the country, too. 1. Demographic trends and economic well-being

Now, you'll see that the article states that blacks are poor at a much higher percentage than whites, but since apparently percentages don't mean anything and only total numbers do, you have to determine the actual numbers of poor involved. If you take the actual population numbers and multiply them by the percentages involved, you will find that that would equate to more than 26 million whites and just under 11 million blacks. If economic hardship is a valid reason for crime, then it appears whites committing crimes 2.5 times as many crimes as blacks makes sense.

Of course, just looking at total numbers does not give the entire picture. ;)
I dont have to give a list of reasons people commit crime. I dont go off on wild goose chases because white people dont like my statements.

You forgot one important factor. Racism. Whites dont have a reason to be poor. Thats just simply laziness.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Whites are the ones here arguing using per capita to try making less crime into more crime.

Who may be using the concept here, and why, has nothing to do with where it came from or what else it may be used for. Per capita is used in all sorts of statistical analyses.

Per capita is an invalid measure to use for this issue. You can only measure crime and race by the participants of each race that commits the crimes. To think that you can commit 68 percent of all crime but that's OK because that's more in line with your population is retarded.

I'll ask again: what percentage of crime would be acceptable for whites to commit? Why is committing an amount of crimes approximately equal to the percentage of the population bad?

Also, the idea that "you can only measure crime and race by the participants of each race that commits the crimes" is something you might want to consider applying to other situations, such as blaming all whites for the actions of some. ;)

I have never blamed all whites for anything. But it appears some of you whites here at USMB have it bad that mentioning the word white by anyone black has to mean we are talking about every white there is. That's your problem and you need to fix it. The major problem with your silly comment is how do we quantify the number of whites who are racists? I am not going to pay attention to this strawman. You just need to face what whites have done to make me say the things I am saying.. I say whites have been given the most from the government. Well that's true. I say whites benefited from racist laws and policies. Well that is true. Just like I have to accept the unpleasant fact of blacks being enslaved and treated like second class citizens with basically no rights until 1965, or covert white racism that is being denied now, you have to face what whites have done. Always complaining about somebody making a comment about whites that is accurate just because you want blacks to always say not all whites so you can feel better, while trying to justify a lie based on rate and not totals is something for you to deal with. You don't get to tone police because we are telling the truth and you don't like hearing it.

Whites here have determined that totals mean nothing but we will divide the numbers by a per 100,000 rate so we can say that blacks commit more crimes. That's retarded end yet your dumb ass keeps asking how many crime or what percentages of crime should whites commit to be satisfactory. Well you damn sure shouldn't be committing 70 percent of all crimes per year. You whites have 70 percent of the population. You whites have more than 70 percent of the money. You whites own more than 70 percent of the property. You whites control more than 70 percent of the jobs. You whites have had more than 70 percent of the law makers at every level since this nation began. Everything people who work with crime says causes crime do not exist in the large majority of white communities. You whites control almost very institution in the nation and still commit 70 percent of the crime then excuse yourselves for it because you are 70 percent of the mother fucking population. That's stupid and it shows an arrogance and an attitude of entitlement you do not deserve.

For the umpteenth time, I have not denied the long history of the white majority oppressing minorities in this country.

I am not complaining about accurate statements about whites, such as the fact that whites commit the majority of crimes. What I am complaining about is the way you want to say that any statistic which does not fit your narrative is invalid or racially biased. Yes, people can and do use particular statistics to promote a racist agenda. However, the idea that any racial group ought to be proportionally represented when it comes to crimes (or employment, or number of law enforcement officers, or number of doctors, or what have you) is not the preposterous thing you make it out to be. You consistently decry the use of rates or other descriptive statistics, putting forth the idea that only total numbers can ever matter. That is just silly.

Whites have not determined that totals mean nothing. Maybe some whites are, like you, ignoring a statistic that doesn't fit their narrative.

You are the one who implied that whites committing crimes approximately commensurate with their representation in the overall population was unacceptable. I have repeatedly asked why that is, what percentage of crimes being committed by whites would be appropriate. Your answer seems to be "whites shouldn't commit as many crimes." Well, I hate to break it to you, but whites are not some sort of monolithic, homogeneous group in which one white will always have the back of any other white. There are poor whites, downtrodden whites, whites who experience various forms of discrimination, whites who simply look for the easy way through crime, etc. etc. You seem to have this idea in your head that because blacks have been oppressed, life must therefore be easy for whites. It is yet another example, IMO, of the way generalizing and stereotyping is so divisive and wrong.

Whites may have less to overcome in general, but that doesn't mean everything is puppies and rainbows for anyone born white. For someone as convinced as you are that you understand whites, I think posts like these clearly indicate that you do not. Trying to understand an entire race of people is probably a fool's errand to begin with, but you seem to be perfectly comfortable assuming that a group which is somewhere around 200 million large (in the US) pretty much all think alike and are looking out for each other.

Don't need your lecture about white people. I grew up in a poor community full of poor whites too. Didn't stop them from being racists or believing they were better than us, but hey, they were poor. So look fool, I know not all whites live in flowery beds of ease, but the argument used to make claims about crime here is based on total population not just a few people. I am the one here who has said not all of any race is responsible for crime. I don't have a narrative son, the facts stand. Whites commit more crime, that's what the facts show.

Research shows that poor people commit the most crime. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, from 2008 through 2012, “persons in poor households at or below the federal poverty level had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households. This pattern of poor people having the highest rates of violence was consistent for both whites and blacks.”

When you are talking about an issue that has caused innocent people to die, there is no room for multiplying a crime by one race by 5 in order to make claims. That's my point and no matter how many excuses you make, that's going to remain my point. This per capita claim as used here turns blacks in a crime committing monolith.

Why is committing an amount of crimes approximately equal to the percentage of the population bad?
Could it be because crime by definition is bad? Again you miss the point. The point is and always has been that whites commit the vast majority of crime here in the US. Trying to use quantum physics to prove Blacks are the ones that commit the most crime is simply white deflection from the raw data.

You are ignoring the whole premise here. Crime happens. It always has, it likely always will. Once one accepts that, is there some percentage of crimes committed that is acceptable for whites to commit? Is the amount of crime committed by every race unacceptable, because all crime in unacceptable, or is it only a problem for whites?

Of course whites commit the majority of crime. That should be the case because whites are the majority of the people in the country.

Lowering crime is a good thing. That is not what this discussion has been about, however; it's been about why whites committing a certain percentage of crime is bad. You seem to look at any description of data as somehow inherently bad.

And I have not said that blacks commit the most crime. No one is trying to "use quantum physics." There have merely been some statistical descriptions used, sometimes poorly.

Exactly. The premise was that Black people are more criminal even though whites commit 69% of the crime in the US. Again thats 69% which substantially over half the crime. The premise is faulty for a number of reasons. First whites lead in total crimes. Thats pretty obvious and reflective of the raw data. Secondly and more importantly, whites have absolutely no reason to be criminals. They are on the plus side when it comes to wealth. So we have an economically disadvantaged racial group vs a economically advantaged racial group and the one that has no reason to be criminals are committing the vast majority of the crimes.

Why don't you give a list of reasons that people have to be criminals. So far, it seems as if that lists consists of being victims of systemic racism, and that's it. :p

By the way, while you are certainly right that whites commit the most crimes, you apparently don't realize that whites make up the most poor people in the country, too. 1. Demographic trends and economic well-being

Now, you'll see that the article states that blacks are poor at a much higher percentage than whites, but since apparently percentages don't mean anything and only total numbers do, you have to determine the actual numbers of poor involved. If you take the actual population numbers and multiply them by the percentages involved, you will find that that would equate to more than 26 million whites and just under 11 million blacks. If economic hardship is a valid reason for crime, then it appears whites committing crimes 2.5 times as many crimes as blacks makes sense.

Try one time telling us things we don't know please. Yes more whites are poor but more whites are not poor because of policies made to make and keep them poor. These same poor whites are the ones making per capita claims of black crime. These same poor whites are telling us blacks how we are disproportionately higher welfare recipients even as 61 percent of welfare recipients are whites. All you do here is show the continuing manner whites ignore their own problems to lecture us blacks about what we need to do. So while you would like to ignore racism, your argument becomes disingenuous when you do so as you try this argument calling yourself being a smart ass.

I did work in this area for over 30 years of my life. I still do research on these matters. You are not talking to people who do not know. You are talking to a man who might actually know far more than you do about this. You are here using every excuse to validate the crap you believe. And it's sad to see that in 2018 there are whites who still refuse to fully understand what they have done.

I think the difference is that I dont accept crime as a inevitable part of society. There are many African cultures that have/had zero or low crime rates. Its only when whites or white philosophy is introduced into the mainstream do we see crime skyrocket.

I already answered that. Whites have no excuse for committing crime. They havent been economically deprived by racism. In fact they have been economically enabled by that system.

So being economically deprived by racism is a valid excuse for committing crimes? Does that mean being economically deprived for other reasons is not? Being poor isn't a reason for crime, but if the being poor can in any way be linked to racism, well, that's OK? :lol:
Where did I say anything excused crime? Youre doing the white dude deflection thing again. :laugh:

"Whites have no excuse for committing crime. They havent been economically deprived by racism." That implies that if a group has been economically deprived by racism, they have an excuse for crime.

It's funny that any time someone argues a point, any point, it seems to end up being described as white deflection. :p

Who may be using the concept here, and why, has nothing to do with where it came from or what else it may be used for. Per capita is used in all sorts of statistical analyses.

Per capita is an invalid measure to use for this issue. You can only measure crime and race by the participants of each race that commits the crimes. To think that you can commit 68 percent of all crime but that's OK because that's more in line with your population is retarded.

I'll ask again: what percentage of crime would be acceptable for whites to commit? Why is committing an amount of crimes approximately equal to the percentage of the population bad?

Also, the idea that "you can only measure crime and race by the participants of each race that commits the crimes" is something you might want to consider applying to other situations, such as blaming all whites for the actions of some. ;)

I have never blamed all whites for anything. But it appears some of you whites here at USMB have it bad that mentioning the word white by anyone black has to mean we are talking about every white there is. That's your problem and you need to fix it. The major problem with your silly comment is how do we quantify the number of whites who are racists? I am not going to pay attention to this strawman. You just need to face what whites have done to make me say the things I am saying.. I say whites have been given the most from the government. Well that's true. I say whites benefited from racist laws and policies. Well that is true. Just like I have to accept the unpleasant fact of blacks being enslaved and treated like second class citizens with basically no rights until 1965, or covert white racism that is being denied now, you have to face what whites have done. Always complaining about somebody making a comment about whites that is accurate just because you want blacks to always say not all whites so you can feel better, while trying to justify a lie based on rate and not totals is something for you to deal with. You don't get to tone police because we are telling the truth and you don't like hearing it.

Whites here have determined that totals mean nothing but we will divide the numbers by a per 100,000 rate so we can say that blacks commit more crimes. That's retarded end yet your dumb ass keeps asking how many crime or what percentages of crime should whites commit to be satisfactory. Well you damn sure shouldn't be committing 70 percent of all crimes per year. You whites have 70 percent of the population. You whites have more than 70 percent of the money. You whites own more than 70 percent of the property. You whites control more than 70 percent of the jobs. You whites have had more than 70 percent of the law makers at every level since this nation began. Everything people who work with crime says causes crime do not exist in the large majority of white communities. You whites control almost very institution in the nation and still commit 70 percent of the crime then excuse yourselves for it because you are 70 percent of the mother fucking population. That's stupid and it shows an arrogance and an attitude of entitlement you do not deserve.

For the umpteenth time, I have not denied the long history of the white majority oppressing minorities in this country.

I am not complaining about accurate statements about whites, such as the fact that whites commit the majority of crimes. What I am complaining about is the way you want to say that any statistic which does not fit your narrative is invalid or racially biased. Yes, people can and do use particular statistics to promote a racist agenda. However, the idea that any racial group ought to be proportionally represented when it comes to crimes (or employment, or number of law enforcement officers, or number of doctors, or what have you) is not the preposterous thing you make it out to be. You consistently decry the use of rates or other descriptive statistics, putting forth the idea that only total numbers can ever matter. That is just silly.

Whites have not determined that totals mean nothing. Maybe some whites are, like you, ignoring a statistic that doesn't fit their narrative.

You are the one who implied that whites committing crimes approximately commensurate with their representation in the overall population was unacceptable. I have repeatedly asked why that is, what percentage of crimes being committed by whites would be appropriate. Your answer seems to be "whites shouldn't commit as many crimes." Well, I hate to break it to you, but whites are not some sort of monolithic, homogeneous group in which one white will always have the back of any other white. There are poor whites, downtrodden whites, whites who experience various forms of discrimination, whites who simply look for the easy way through crime, etc. etc. You seem to have this idea in your head that because blacks have been oppressed, life must therefore be easy for whites. It is yet another example, IMO, of the way generalizing and stereotyping is so divisive and wrong.

Whites may have less to overcome in general, but that doesn't mean everything is puppies and rainbows for anyone born white. For someone as convinced as you are that you understand whites, I think posts like these clearly indicate that you do not. Trying to understand an entire race of people is probably a fool's errand to begin with, but you seem to be perfectly comfortable assuming that a group which is somewhere around 200 million large (in the US) pretty much all think alike and are looking out for each other.

Don't need your lecture about white people. I grew up in a poor community full of poor whites too. Didn't stop them from being racists or believing they were better than us, but hey, they were poor. So look fool, I know not all whites live in flowery beds of ease, but the argument used to make claims about crime here is based on total population not just a few people. I am the one here who has said not all of any race is responsible for crime. I don't have a narrative son, the facts stand. Whites commit more crime, that's what the facts show.

Research shows that poor people commit the most crime. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, from 2008 through 2012, “persons in poor households at or below the federal poverty level had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households. This pattern of poor people having the highest rates of violence was consistent for both whites and blacks.”

When you are talking about an issue that has caused innocent people to die, there is no room for multiplying a crime by one race by 5 in order to make claims. That's my point and no matter how many excuses you make, that's going to remain my point. This per capita claim as used here turns blacks in a crime committing monolith.

As per usual, you take everything I said and somehow boil it down to an argument about something I didn't say.

I didn't say that being poor prevents racism. I didn't say that whites do not commit the most crimes. I didn't say that poor people do not commit the most crimes. I didn't multiply a crime by one race by 5 in order to make claims.

You did, on the other hand, say this:
If we go by your simple minded assessment you are saying it's fine for whites to commit 70 percent of the crimes.

Which is what started this whole side conversation.

Try one time telling us things we don't know please. Yes more whites are poor but more whites are not poor because of policies made to make and keep them poor. These same poor whites are the ones making per capita claims of black crime. These same poor whites are telling us blacks how we are disproportionately higher welfare recipients even as 61 percent of welfare recipients are whites. All you do here is show the continuing manner whites ignore their own problems to lecture us blacks about what we need to do. So while you would like to ignore racism, your argument becomes disingenuous when you do so as you try this argument calling yourself being a smart ass.

I did work in this area for over 30 years of my life. I still do research on these matters. You are not talking to people who do not know. You are talking to a man who might actually know far more than you do about this. You are here using every excuse to validate the crap you believe. And it's sad to see that in 2018 there are whites who still refuse to fully understand what they have done.

Does being poor as a result of a chain of events and policies starting from slavery make committing crime more acceptable than just being poor?

I'm not lecturing blacks about what they need to do. Unlike you, I don't generally look at an entire race of people and come up with conclusions about what they should or should not do, not even within a nation. I'm talking to YOU. IM2. Not blacks, not US blacks, you.

And what I've mostly been doing is either trying to get clarification on things you've said, or arguing that definitions you are using are either incorrect or at least not commonly used, or pointed out that statistics are not inherently racist, things like that. You have a habit of trying to make every comment somehow part of a group conversation, as though I represent a bunch of posters on USMB or a bunch of people in the US.

By the way, whites getting 61 percent of welfare would not prevent blacks from getting welfare at a disproportionately high percentage. Now, that isn't saying anything blacks should do, or making a judgement about blacks, or even agreeing that blacks get welfare at a disproportionately high level. It's merely pointing out a fact. Unless blacks make up 39% or more of the total population, it is still possible for them to get welfare at a disproportionate level even if whites get 61%. Even if whites get welfare at a disproportionate level, it might be possible for blacks to do so also. If you think otherwise you honestly do not understand these sorts of statistics. But nothing in this paragraph says anything about any blacks other than, perhaps, you.

I think the difference is that I dont accept crime as a inevitable part of society. There are many African cultures that have/had zero or low crime rates. Its only when whites or white philosophy is introduced into the mainstream do we see crime skyrocket.

I already answered that. Whites have no excuse for committing crime. They havent been economically deprived by racism. In fact they have been economically enabled by that system.

So being economically deprived by racism is a valid excuse for committing crimes? Does that mean being economically deprived for other reasons is not? Being poor isn't a reason for crime, but if the being poor can in any way be linked to racism, well, that's OK? :lol:
Where did I say anything excused crime? Youre doing the white dude deflection thing again. :laugh:

"Whites have no excuse for committing crime. They havent been economically deprived by racism." That implies that if a group has been economically deprived by racism, they have an excuse for crime.

It's funny that any time someone argues a point, any point, it seems to end up being described as white deflection. :p
No it doesnt imply it. You just assumed that. What it implies is that economically deprived groups have a reason to commit crime. There is a difference between excusing something vs having a reason.

No it doesnt imply it. You just assumed that. What it implies is that economically deprived groups have a reason to commit crime. There is a difference between excusing something vs having a reason.

So your statement about whites not being economically deprived by racism had nothing to do with the immediately previous statement that whites have no excuse for committing crime? :lol:

Ignoring that, there are many more poor whites than blacks, so I guess whites have more reason to commit crimes. ;)

So your statement about whites not being economically deprived by racism had nothing to do with the immediately previous statement that whites have no excuse for committing crime? :lol:

Ignoring that, there are many more poor whites than blacks, so I guess whites have more reason to commit crimes. ;)
I already covered that. Since the system is tilted heavily in their favor, whites that are poor are simply lazy. They need to realize that they cant lay on their ass. They have to go out and pick up their white privilege.

I already covered that. Since the system is tilted heavily in their favor, whites that are poor are simply lazy. They need to realize that they cant lay on their ass. They have to go out and pick up their white privilege.
You are AMAZINGLY stupid and racist.

You are AMAZINGLY stupid and racist.
Coming from you thats a compliment. Thanks.

You clearly overestimate how greatly the system is tilted in someone's favor based solely on the color of their skin. Whites that are poor are simply lazy...I bet you would characterize blacks that are poor as being victims of a racist system, wouldn't you?

Nothing but ridiculous generalizations. Your racism mirrors and matches that of the white racists you rail against.

You clearly overestimate how greatly the system is tilted in someone's favor based solely on the color of their skin. Whites that are poor are simply lazy...I bet you would characterize blacks that are poor as being victims of a racist system, wouldn't you?

Nothing but ridiculous generalizations. Your racism mirrors and matches that of the white racists you rail against.
I grew up in the hood. I understand that racism plays a large part in Blacks being poor. I understand the legal system is constructed to funnel Black males into prison and eventually to the fringes of society wrecking Black families and then repeating the cycle. I understand there are still a lot of whites out there erecting obstacles for Blacks in addition to the everyday trials and tribulations of normal life. I even understand why some Blacks lay down and quit. They are tired of the bullshit. They are tired of trying to integrate into a society that doesnt accept them. So yes.I would say racism is the primary reason for Black poverty. The other is lack of knowledge. Once Black people figure out that whites as a group have no intention of actually accepting them they will start ignoring whites, ignoring their white philosophies, and concentrate on outworking them and never quitting.

No, you clearly underestimate such things.

Racism in Modern America

Introduction

Modern racism is a form of prejudice against African Americans that developed in the United States after the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. It characterized by beliefs that racism is not a persistent problem, that African Americans should put forth their own efforts to overcome their situation in society without exceptional assistance, and that African Americans are too demanding and have gotten more than they deserve. At the roots of modern racism are basic beliefs that Blacks violate cherished U.S. values. The idea that the quality of prejudice toward Blacks can shift over time has spawned important generalizations of the theory to other groups, such as women (see the entry titled “Modern Sexism”), recent immigrant groups (including Asians and Latinos in North America and Turks in Europe), the obese, and gays, among others.

The term modern racism introduced in 1981 by John McConahay in the literature on group processes and inter group relations, but the theory behind it had emerged in 1971 with the name symbolic racism. Because modern racism theory was derivative of symbolic racism theory, the two positions were originally closely aligned conceptually and, in fact, difficult to distinguish substantively. However, in recent years, developments in symbolic racism (e.g., concerning the origins of the attitudes) have distinguished the positions more clearly. This entry examines modern racism and relevant criticisms describe measurement tools and contrast the concept with related theories.

Discussion and Analysis

The Nature and Origins of Modern Racism

Modern racism is among the most widespread forms of verbally expressed negative racial attitudes in the United States today. It thought to have replaced, to a substantial degree, older and more blatant forms of prejudice, characterized by beliefs that Blacks are a biologically inferior race and that institutionalized segregation and formal discrimination against Blacks are appropriate social policies. The civil rights movement made these outmoded beliefs largely socially unacceptable, and although conservative racism still exists in the United States, it largely replaced by modern racist beliefs.

Modern racism is also one of the most powerful influences of racial politics in the United States today. It powerfully predicts voting against political candidates who are Black or sympathetic toward Blacks and voting on policies designed to assist Blacks, such as affirmative action and school integration programs. It also strongly influences policies that do not directly mention Blacks but disproportionately impact the African American community, including those involving welfare, unemployment, crime, and the death penalty. It predicts these political attitudes better than conservatism, education, identification as a Democrat or Republican, and, most important, personal interests in the outcomes of a vote. (Hero , 247)

One fundamental characteristic of modern racism is the assumption that it learned during socialization. In other words, people acquire modern racist attitudes through their parents, their peers, and the media. Emerging research suggests that modern racism acquired as early as adolescence (earlier than other political attitudes, such as conservatism) and that it is stable throughout the life span.

Racism In Modern America | Researchomatic

An influential 2004 study found that job seekers with black-sounding names were 50 percent less likely than their white counterparts to get callbacks. The divide held across occupation, industry and employer size. A more recent study found that such a gap applies even to graduates of elite schools like Harvard and Yale. When given the option, most interviewers would take a Dylan over a DeAndre. (Tijani, whose name is West African, said he was a bit surprised at the lack of interviews he was offered.)

Black Unemployment: College Degree Offers Advantages, But No Escape From Racialized Job Markets

Care to explain this Montrovant?

In fact, the unemployment rate in 2013 was lower among whites who never finished high school (9.7 percent) than it was for blacks with some college education (10.5 percent).

For Recent Black College Graduates, a Tougher Road to Employment

Or this?

African-American students need to complete two more levels of education to have the same probability of getting a job as their white peers, a new study by Young Invincibles finds.

The researchers looked at data mainly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census, isolating the effects of race and education on unemployment. They found that an African-American male with an associates degree has around the same chance of getting a job as a white male with just a high school diploma. “At every level of education, race impacts a person’s chance of getting a job,” Tom Allison, a research manager and one of the study’s authors, told ThinkProgress.

A Black College Student Has The Same Chances Of Getting A Job As A White High School Dropout

White Convicts As Likely to Be Hired As Blacks Without Criminal Records

However, the study revealed that our society's racism extends even deeper: black applicants with no criminal record were no more likely to get a job than white applicants with criminal records just released from prison! In other words, while whites with criminal records received low rates of positive responses, such response rates were equally low for blacks without a criminal background.

White Convicts As Likely to Be Hired As Blacks Without Criminal Records | DMI Blog

Montrovant, A doesn't overestimate a damn thing.

Last edited:

I grew up in the hood. I understand that racism plays a large part in Blacks being poor. I understand the legal system is constructed to funnel Black males into prison and eventually to the fringes of society wrecking Black families and then repeating the cycle. I understand there are still a lot of whites out there erecting obstacles for Blacks in addition to the everyday trials and tribulations of normal life. I even understand why some Blacks lay down and quit. They are tired of the bullshit. They are tired of trying to integrate into a society that doesnt accept them. So yes.I would say racism is the primary reason for Black poverty. The other is lack of knowledge. Once Black people figure out that whites as a group have no intention of actually accepting them they will start ignoring whites, ignoring their white philosophies, and concentrate on outworking them and never quitting.

Well, perhaps your racism will somehow end up better than white racism. Good luck with that. ;)

Racism in Modern America

Introduction

Modern racism is a form of prejudice against African Americans that developed in the United States after the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. It characterized by beliefs that racism is not a persistent problem, that African Americans should put forth their own efforts to overcome their situation in society without exceptional assistance, and that African Americans are too demanding and have gotten more than they deserve. At the roots of modern racism are basic beliefs that Blacks violate cherished U.S. values. The idea that the quality of prejudice toward Blacks can shift over time has spawned important generalizations of the theory to other groups, such as women (see the entry titled “Modern Sexism”), recent immigrant groups (including Asians and Latinos in North America and Turks in Europe), the obese, and gays, among others.

The term modern racism introduced in 1981 by John McConahay in the literature on group processes and inter group relations, but the theory behind it had emerged in 1971 with the name symbolic racism. Because modern racism theory was derivative of symbolic racism theory, the two positions were originally closely aligned conceptually and, in fact, difficult to distinguish substantively. However, in recent years, developments in symbolic racism (e.g., concerning the origins of the attitudes) have distinguished the positions more clearly. This entry examines modern racism and relevant criticisms describe measurement tools and contrast the concept with related theories.

Discussion and Analysis

Modern racism is among the most widespread forms of verbally expressed negative racial attitudes in the United States today. It thought to have replaced, to a substantial degree, older and more blatant forms of prejudice, characterized by beliefs that Blacks are a biologically inferior race and that institutionalized segregation and formal discrimination against Blacks are appropriate social policies. The civil rights movement made these outmoded beliefs largely socially unacceptable, and although conservative racism still exists in the United States, it largely replaced by modern racist beliefs.

Modern racism is also one of the most powerful influences of racial politics in the United States today. It powerfully predicts voting against political candidates who are Black or sympathetic toward Blacks and voting on policies designed to assist Blacks, such as affirmative action and school integration programs. It also strongly influences policies that do not directly mention Blacks but disproportionately impact the African American community, including those involving welfare, unemployment, crime, and the death penalty. It predicts these political attitudes better than conservatism, education, identification as a Democrat or Republican, and, most important, personal interests in the outcomes of a vote. (Hero , 247)

One fundamental characteristic of modern racism is the assumption that it learned during socialization. In other words, people acquire modern racist attitudes through their parents, their peers, and the media. Emerging research suggests that modern racism acquired as early as adolescence (earlier than other political attitudes, such as conservatism) and that it is stable throughout the life span.

An influential 2004 study found that job seekers with black-sounding names were 50 percent less likely than their white counterparts to get callbacks. The divide held across occupation, industry and employer size. A more recent study found that such a gap applies even to graduates of elite schools like Harvard and Yale. When given the option, most interviewers would take a Dylan over a DeAndre. (Tijani, whose name is West African, said he was a bit surprised at the lack of interviews he was offered.)

Black Unemployment: College Degree Offers Advantages, But No Escape From Racialized Job Markets

In fact, the unemployment rate in 2013 was lower among whites who never finished high school (9.7 percent) than it was for blacks with some college education (10.5 percent).

Or this?

African-American students need to complete two more levels of education to have the same probability of getting a job as their white peers, a new study by Young Invincibles finds.

The researchers looked at data mainly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census, isolating the effects of race and education on unemployment. They found that an African-American male with an associates degree has around the same chance of getting a job as a white male with just a high school diploma. “At every level of education, race impacts a person’s chance of getting a job,” Tom Allison, a research manager and one of the study’s authors, told ThinkProgress.

A Black College Student Has The Same Chances Of Getting A Job As A White High School Dropout

However, the study revealed that our society's racism extends even deeper: black applicants with no criminal record were no more likely to get a job than white applicants with criminal records just released from prison! In other words, while whites with criminal records received low rates of positive responses, such response rates were equally low for blacks without a criminal background.

White Convicts As Likely to Be Hired As Blacks Without Criminal Records | DMI Blog

Well clearly, with a system tilted so heavily in favor of whites, there won't be that many poor whites. After all, the system will ensure they have success. Oh, wait...

Look, I'm not saying the system treats whites and minorities equally. I'm not saying there is no bias against blacks. However, the idea that things are so easy for whites that only laziness can lead to being poor is asinine. It also sounds remarkably like the arguments anti-black racists use about how so many blacks are poor because they are lazy.

Things can be harder in general for blacks without meaning it is easy for anyone who is white.

Well, perhaps your racism will somehow end up better than white racism. Good luck with that. ;)
I would never implement racism for a couple of reasons. I am fully confident Black people would excel on a level playing field. I dont see competition as a threat.

Racism in Modern America

Introduction

Discussion and Analysis

Or this?

Well clearly, with a system tilted so heavily in favor of whites, there won't be that many poor whites. After all, the system will ensure they have success. Oh, wait...

Look, I'm not saying the system treats whites and minorities equally. I'm not saying there is no bias against blacks. However, the idea that things are so easy for whites that only laziness can lead to being poor is asinine. It also sounds remarkably like the arguments anti-black racists use about how so many blacks are poor because they are lazy.

Things can be harder in general for blacks without meaning it is easy for anyone who is white.
Of course there will be poor whites. Poor whites are the rubes that wealthy whites use the most to make money. They just tell them that they are better than those other people and keep trying. They give those whites just enough so they cant see whats going on but not enough to really do anything. They tell those whites that if those other people were not taking their jobs they too would be wealthy. Those whites are suffering from the same problem some Black people have. Instead of complaining about Blacks they should get off their asses and stop being lazy. Since they are white they have it 100 x easier.

Racism in Modern America

Introduction

Discussion and Analysis

Or this?

Of course there will be poor whites. Poor whites are the rubes that wealthy whites use the most to make money. They just tell them that they are better than those other people and keep trying. They give those whites just enough so they cant see whats going on but not enough to really do anything. They tell those whites that if those other people were not taking their jobs they too would be wealthy. Those whites are suffering from the same problem some Black people have. Instead of complaining about Blacks they should get off their asses and stop being lazy. Since they are white they have it 100 x easier.

And all of those black criminals should stop being a bunch of violent thugs and simply follow the law. Do what the police tell you and you won't get shot.

That's the same level of foolishness as saying poor whites are just lazy.

When it comes to blacks you want people to look at the full complexity of things, but with whites, you're perfectly happy saying poor whites are lazy, whites are genetically criminal, etc.

Like I said, good luck with your racism.

Racism in Modern America

Introduction

Discussion and Analysis

Or this?

And all of those black criminals should stop being a bunch of violent thugs and simply follow the law. Do what the police tell you and you won't get shot.

That's the same level of foolishness as saying poor whites are just lazy.

When it comes to blacks you want people to look at the full complexity of things, but with whites, you're perfectly happy saying poor whites are lazy, whites are genetically criminal, etc.

Like I said, good luck with your racism.
From your post I sense you take exception to my generalization that a poor white person is a lazy white person. What would you call it if I constructed a system that devalued whites, killed whites, funneled whites into prison, hired Blacks before whites, gave Blacks more economic support educationally, uplifted Black cultural values, and a Black person could not be successful?

Forum List

Back