It Is A War

boss13

Rookie
Apr 18, 2004
TN
Without a doubt, to those of us within the American shores, we shrink and are embarrassed by the pictures plastered all over the news, every media outlet and chat source...

but...

A very small percentage of us have experienced the military and fewer still WAR.

I have never known the military. I have known those that have served in the military, but never have been enlisted myself.

My perspective....

The military is neither civilian nor government. They are an island unto themselves to a large extent. They are in effect there own society; making their rules, their laws, administering their own justice.

I like it that way, it keeps us free.

Likely no one reading this has been in a foxhole and seen their buddies head blown off by the enemy. Maybe this same buddy saved their very own life the day before. To the military, this enemy all looks alike, Iraqi. Each one in captivity is representative of the countless enemy in the country side. A car bomb goes off at a checkpoint and kills 7 Americans, this Iraqi in captivity is the representative. Is that fair? No, but who said war is fair? Are they being tortured in these pictures? More humiliation than torture I am sure. I hate the humiliation.

We dont show the American dead. Its a policy or law or something. But they are killing us when the opportunity presents itself. When they do, humiliation wont usually do. They, the enemy, will cut, mutilate, drag throughout a city, have a party over an event.
We never see that, see what is done to us. But it happens.

I am not justifying these pictures, but we have no idea of the emotion and feeling troops go through during wartime. We are so removed on CNN and Fox from our living rooms.

My dad was in WWII. I took him purposely to see Saving Private Ryan with me. He shed a couple of tears, something I had never seen in my 42 years of life.

So, to hell with Iraq, to hell with the middle east and all militant muslims. If things bog down, pave Baghdad, and send THOSE pictures to Syria and Lebanon and SAUDI ARABIA.

Then come home and declare victory.

nice post, a little flawed, but nice nonetheless.

The problem we're having at this point is our military is being used as a police force/corrections unit. Our military needs to be out there fighting the fight, not guarding prisoners.

On top of that, these soldiers claim not to know the geneva convention rules on how prisoners are treated. I call that a load of crap because during my 6 years as a marine I remember being instructed on the rules of war and the code of conduct when it comes to prisoners.

Everyone has gone to politicizing this issue and they are missing the one true thing that needs to be done. These soldiers found in violation need to be disciplined and it needs to be done without favortism or prejudice. Not like the one soldier who was court martialed for killing a prisoner and his punishment was reduction in rank and a bad conduct discharge.

Yes, the Prez should have done that alittle sooner, he has crappy advisors. But its done.

Those troops will be prosicuted to the extent of the law. Probably even more to be made examples.

I do have some issues with those photos though.
To me it looks like a set up. When I see a soldier pointing to the abused like it was door Number 3 on the price is right, something is foul there.
I hear that the brittish photos was faked. One of the soldiers in the photos Identified himself and said he never spoke at anytime with the media or ever commits such acts.
Also there seems to be an issue with weapons and uniforms.

I just heard Michael Savage mention that he heard from a source that the photos were actually staged as "here's what'll happen to you if you end up in jail" propoganda, and maybe it backfired.

Not saying I agree, just thought I'd share it.....

Man, the war sure is going great. We can't control Iraq, but we can strip them naked and tie them into pyramids. You know how, in America, we can't actually catch criminals or stop murders, but we can hand out parking tickets like the dickens? Yeah.

Originally posted by boss13
Without a doubt, to those of us within the American shores, we shrink and are embarrassed by the pictures plastered all over the news, every media outlet and chat source...

but...

A very small percentage of us have experienced the military and fewer still WAR.

I have never known the military. I have known those that have served in the military, but never have been enlisted myself.

My perspective....

The military is neither civilian nor government. They are an island unto themselves to a large extent. They are in effect there own society; making their rules, their laws, administering their own justice.

I like it that way, it keeps us free.

Likely no one reading this has been in a foxhole and seen their buddies head blown off by the enemy. Maybe this same buddy saved their very own life the day before. To the military, this enemy all looks alike, Iraqi. Each one in captivity is representative of the countless enemy in the country side. A car bomb goes off at a checkpoint and kills 7 Americans, this Iraqi in captivity is the representative. Is that fair? No, but who said war is fair? Are they being tortured in these pictures? More humiliation than torture I am sure. I hate the humiliation.

We dont show the American dead. Its a policy or law or something. But they are killing us when the opportunity presents itself. When they do, humiliation wont usually do. They, the enemy, will cut, mutilate, drag throughout a city, have a party over an event.
We never see that, see what is done to us. But it happens.

I am not justifying these pictures, but we have no idea of the emotion and feeling troops go through during wartime. We are so removed on CNN and Fox from our living rooms.

My dad was in WWII. I took him purposely to see Saving Private Ryan with me. He shed a couple of tears, something I had never seen in my 42 years of life.

So, to hell with Iraq, to hell with the middle east and all militant muslims. If things bog down, pave Baghdad, and send THOSE pictures to Syria and Lebanon and SAUDI ARABIA.

Then come home and declare victory.

True. I have not experienced war. But I hope I will one day. I do know, however, that war is not what it is cracked up to be. I just wish we could put all the war protestors in uniform and send them to the front lines. Let them experience it. I guarantee they wouldn't protest the war ever again. Of course, that wont happen. Just a thought...

Oh and DKSuddeth, I'd like to formally thank you for serving in the Marine Corps. As you can probably tell by my sign-in name, I want to lead that life when I am older. You are America's finest. Thank You.

Hey guys,
My favorite radio show host, Phil Hendrie, brought up the fact that this fraternity hazing stunt has taken over the headlines and steered the attention away from the investigation of that wonderful group of intellectual superiors at the UN.Our guys in Iraq have found volumes of information on the "oil for food " program , implicating not only officials at the UN but people from all of the biggest loud mouth countries against the war , of illegal kickbacks and ripoffs.
As far as the bullshit in the prison , I agree with DK , take our soldiers out of there and let Iraqi police run the prison . Obviously the Iraqis would know how to interrogate other Iraqis effectively.Sure , some would end up visiting Alla but that is what they want anyway .
I've noticed that the world doesn't show this kind of outrage when our soldiers are murdered as prisoners and their pants are pulled down and their bodies desecrated.

Originally posted by Semper Fi
True. I have not experienced war. But I hope I will one day. I do know, however, that war is not what it is cracked up to be. I just wish we could put all the war protestors in uniform and send them to the front lines. Let them experience it. I guarantee they wouldn't protest the war ever again. Of course, that wont happen. Just a thought...

Oh and DKSuddeth, I'd like to formally thank you for serving in the Marine Corps. As you can probably tell by my sign-in name, I want to lead that life when I am older. You are America's finest. Thank You.

thank you Semper, I wish you the best of luck in your service. The USMC is a tough but proud organization and to actually become a marine is to be one of the few, the proud, US Marines. :cool:

As for experiencing war, I can't say that I have either. I'm glad I didn't have to but I remember about 2 months after my 6 years ended desert storm started and I tried to get back in. They were only accepting new recruits though.

Don't wish or hope to be in a war, but always be ready for it.

don't post links to other weblogs or forums without permission from a moderator or administrator.

Forum List

Back