It Finally Happened - The Pledge Of Allegiance Is Unconstitutional

I'll make an observation here , ACLU and you tell me what you think about it.

There are 3 groups of people after Katrina hit:

group 1-----People who are dead or have been so traumatized that they can't even think.

group 2-----People who are ready to string up anyone in the government who can even be remotely connected to Katrina.

group 3-----People who are thanking God it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Take away group three and you know what?----You can have the other 2.

Good luck with your future!

dilloduck said:
I'll make an observation here , ACLU and you tell me what you think about it.

There are 3 groups of people after Katrina hit:

group 1-----People who are dead or have been so traumatized that they can't even think.

group 2-----People who are ready to string up anyone in the government who can even be remotely connected to Katrina.

group 3-----People who are thanking God it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Take away group three and you know what?----You can have the other 2.

Good luck with your future!

:D

acludem said:
"Under God" never should have been put into the pledge of allegience. It wasn't there to begin with when the pledge was written (by a minister no less) and was only added in 1954 because the Knights of Columbus campaigned for it. We cannot be "one nation, under God, indivisible" when not everyone here believes in God. It isn't just atheists, either. Non-Christian religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism also do not believe in "God". Muslims would prefer the pledge say "one nation, under Allah".

This judge didn't go far enough, he should have declared the 1954 law that added "Under God" to the pledge unconstitutional. Dividing our nation along religious lines does harm to us all. I should be able to pledge allegience to my country without having to pledge allegience to "God". Forcing people to pledge allegience to "God" which we do as a requirement of citizenship effectively establishes belief in "God" as the official religion of the United States, clearly violating the first amendment establishment clause.

acludem

Nowhere in the Pledge of allegience does anyone pledge allegience to God. The only two things you pledge allegience to is the Flag of the United States of American and to the Republic that flag stands for.

Amazing that libs are trying to change a pledge they don't even understand.

When you say the Pledge of Allegience you are pledging allegience "to the Republic for which it stands, one nation..." Yes you are having to pledge to "God". As for money, absolutely, just as Theodore Roosevelt argued, In God We Trust should be off of money, I'm surprised Christians would want that on money, isn't that sacriligious? Roosevelt thought so.

As for the Katrina, Dillo, I talked to a good friend of mine who just got out of there, and she would fit into group 3, except she's a Buddhist and thus wouldn't be "thanking God" my Catholic friend who got out probably does and that's fine, I'm glad both my friends are safe.

acludem

acludem said:
When you say the Pledge of Allegience you are pledging allegience "to the Republic for which it stands, one nation..." Yes you are having to pledge to "God". As for money, absolutely, just as Theodore Roosevelt argued, In God We Trust should be off of money, I'm surprised Christians would want that on money, isn't that sacriligious? Roosevelt thought so.

As for the Katrina, Dillo, I talked to a good friend of mine who just got out of there, and she would fit into group 3, except she's a Buddhist and thus wouldn't be "thanking God" my Catholic friend who got out probably does and that's fine, I'm glad both my friends are safe.

acludem
According to previous rulings by the SCOTUS under God is an allusion to the history of the founding of the nation and a portion of the description of the Republic for which the flag stands. The Pledge is not directed at God at all, and the portion that currently mentions God is only describing the Republic previously mentioned.

(The Pledge begins with the two things you pledge to, the Flag and the nation for which it stands). I Pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands ( a comma is placed here to denote a division of ideas in the sentence this is the part where the description begins), one Nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

So accordingly, if it is simply describing the Republic it only mentions God in passing. In those previous rulings historical reference and mentions in passing is not an establishment of religion. Agreeable to the rule that previous rulings are followed, this will be thrown out of court. The ACLU has once again wasted our tax dollars.

no1tovote4 said:
According to previous rulings by the SCOTUS under God is an allusion to the history of the founding of the nation and a portion of the description of the Republic for which the flag stands. The Pledge is not directed at God at all, and the portion that currently mentions God is only describing the Republic previously mentioned.

(The Pledge begins with the two things you pledge to, the Flag and the nation for which it stands). I Pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands ( a comma is placed here to denote a division of ideas in the sentence this is the part where the description begins), one Nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

So accordingly, if it is simply describing the Republic it only mentions God in passing. In those previous rulings historical reference and mentions in passing is not an establishment of religion. Agreeable to the rule that previous rulings are followed, this will be thrown out of court. The ACLU has once again wasted our tax dollars.

Soundly reasoned.

ACLUdem, I totally agree with what you have said. Is no one acknowledging that "under God" was added to the pledge in 1954? Thus, when it was initially drafted, those words were not there.

I am an atheist, although I don't really have a problem with saying "under God" when I say the pledge, as it doesn't affect my lack of belief in God. For argument's sake, however, I just don't see how pledging my allegiance to this country requires me to acknowledge God, particularly when I don't believe in God.

The Supreme Court just ruled that we cannot have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse because it violates the Establishmen Clause. Having to acknowledge "God" in a public school, to me, is the same kine of violation. Sure I don't have to say "under God" while saying the pledge, but then saying the pledge should be optional and should be silent. Kids can stand up, look at the flag, put their hand on their heart, and silently say the pledge, and then no one is offended.

ProudDem said:
Kids can stand up, look at the flag, put their hand on their heart, and silently say the pledge, and then no one is offended.

That was always my opinion about confession, but we were still singing "God Save The Queen" in public school in 1986, so what do I know, eh? :D

acludem said:

acludem

sorry--there's a 4th category then that I guess I would have to call " other people who aren't whining due to spiritual beliefs". Are they OK with you as long as they don't say the dreaded "God" word?

ProudDem said:
ACLUdem, I totally agree with what you have said. Is no one acknowledging that "under God" was added to the pledge in 1954? Thus, when it was initially drafted, those words were not there.

I am an atheist, although I don't really have a problem with saying "under God" when I say the pledge, as it doesn't affect my lack of belief in God. For argument's sake, however, I just don't see how pledging my allegiance to this country requires me to acknowledge God, particularly when I don't believe in God.

The Supreme Court just ruled that we cannot have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse because it violates the Establishmen Clause. Having to acknowledge "God" in a public school, to me, is the same kine of violation. Sure I don't have to say "under God" while saying the pledge, but then saying the pledge should be optional and should be silent. Kids can stand up, look at the flag, put their hand on their heart, and silently say the pledge, and then no one is offended.
If I don't have to look or say things that have been imposed on me due to liberal permissiveness, this MIGHT be a goos argument.
We all know when it was added---do you know WHY it was added?

dilloduck said:
If I don't have to look or say things that have been imposed on me due to liberal permissiveness, this MIGHT be a goos argument.
We all know when it was added---do you know WHY it was added?

I actually don't know why it was added. I'd love to hear why. (I'm assuming you're willing to tell me instead of having me look it up.)

dilloduck said:
To make it very clear to communists trying to sway America at that time that we were people who did not worship a state or a dictator.

Wow. That is interesting. Thanks for answering the question. :)

ProudDem said:
Wow. That is interesting. Thanks for answering the question. :)
You're more than welcome! The argument for keeping" under God " in the oath of allegiance makes a lot more sense when put into context.

I don't see what difference it makes that the words "under God" were added later. So were all the Amendments to the Constitution. That doesn't make them any less important or less credible. Sometimes we make improvements to our national symbols. ;)

dilloduck said:
You're more than welcome! The argument for keeping" under God " in the oath of allegiance makes a lot more sense when put into context.

It really does. As I stated above (or on the prior page), I have no problem saying those words. And I am kind of uncomfortable with the people who are challenging the words because I worry that it makes the democratic party look bad, unpatriotic, and a little ridiculous.

The guy who challenged "under God" in this most recent case was on The Situation with Tucker Carlson, I believe, on Thursday night. He said he is going to next challenge the words, "In God We Trust" on our currency. *sigh*

ProudDem said:
It really does. As I stated above (or on the prior page), I have no problem saying those words. And I am kind of uncomfortable with the people who are challenging the words because I worry that it makes the democratic party look bad, unpatriotic, and a little ridiculous.

The guy who challenged "under God" in this most recent case was on The Situation with Tucker Carlson, I believe, on Thursday night. He said he is going to next challenge the words, "In God We Trust" on our currency. *sigh*

That outta be great. I suppose this guy is SOOOOOOOO offended by it that he won't even touch any American currency--even is was given to him. :laugh:

ProudDem said:

I think we all knew that was coming...Doesn't Newdow have a life other than trying to foster his atheism on the rest of us. Maybe he needs a woman to keep him occupied?

Abbey Normal said:
I don't see what difference it makes that the words "under God" were added later. So were all the Amendments to the Constitution. That doesn't make them any less important or less credible. Sometimes we make improvements to our national symbols. ;)

How about we make a trade? An amendment for "Under God" taken out..... Care to make a suggestion LOL

Forum List

Back