IT BEGINS: 15-Point Plunge For GOP Senator After Gun Vote

No, but it might "prevent" you from having the tools that you wanted to carry out the murder/robbery/rape easily to hand.
If you didn't plan to carry out the murder/robbery/rape but a rush of blood/testosterone/alcohol to the head pushed you into it a background check might just give you enough time to re-think/jerk off/sober up and change your mind.
You're talking about the fabled "cooling off period" not background checks.

But I guess the goalposts aren't going to move themselves. :lol:
No, having to go through the background check is going to slow you up isn't it...
The current background check system is designed specifically to take as little time as possible - so, no.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
You're talking about the fabled "cooling off period" not background checks.

But I guess the goalposts aren't going to move themselves. :lol:

No, having to go through the background check is going to slow you up isn't it...with the added bonus that, if you're a certified arse you'll be denied?

Of course, I'm certain that would never apply in your case.

so once a person goes through a background check and we determine he is a nut case, what do we do with him? just not let him buy a gun but go back into society whe he can beat someone with a hammer or stab them? if this is really about safety, shouldn't we be fixing the problem when we identify it?

If the background check shows that he's that much of a nutcase...doesn't that mean that he's already been identified as a nutcase?

So your argument is that because bad people bent on criminal intent won't respect a law then there's no point in having that law.

I suppose that's a point of view.

Are there currently laws prohibiting shooting people? Are there currently laws prohibiting felons and the insane from possessing firearms?
One more law expanding background checks to private sales is not going to do any more to prevent the next Sandy Hook than previous laws did.
It will, however, make you feel good about yourselves without having to address the real causes of homicides in the US.

Where do the thieves get their guns from...aren't there laws against 'thievery'?
Why not repeal those?

No one is saying repeal any laws, but enacting new laws restating other laws, that restated still other laws that haven't solved the underlying problem is stupid. The problem is not that it's too easy for would be criminals to get guns. The problem is that there are would be criminals. Address the problem. Placing band-aid after band-aid on a cut does not cure cancer.

Are there currently laws prohibiting shooting people? Are there currently laws prohibiting felons and the insane from possessing firearms?
One more law expanding background checks to private sales is not going to do any more to prevent the next Sandy Hook than previous laws did.
It will, however, make you feel good about yourselves without having to address the real causes of homicides in the US.

Where do the thieves get their guns from...aren't there laws against 'thievery'?
Why not repeal those?

No one is saying repeal any laws, but enacting new laws restating other laws, that restated still other laws that haven't solved the underlying problem is stupid. The problem is not that it's too easy for would be criminals to get guns. The problem is that there are would be criminals. Address the problem. Placing band-aid after band-aid on a cut does not cure cancer.

As a start, why not apply the laws that are in place for most purchases to all purchases?
What was so sinister about that?

Why not repeal those?

As a start, why not apply the laws that are in place for most purchases to all purchases?
Impossible to enforce.
Why have a law you cannot enforce?

No, having to go through the background check is going to slow you up isn't it...with the added bonus that, if you're a certified arse you'll be denied?

"Instant" background checks slow down the process?

Give it up. :lol:

You've talked me into it, I tried to resist but your powers of persuasiveness are too strong...maybe there should be background checks and a cooling off period for all gun purchases.
Damn..there..I said it!!!
I tried to resist but...

So good I'm glad you feel that way. Call up your legislators and see that the New Zealand Parliament pass a law mandating enhanced background checks in the US.

Or you could express your concerns on NZMB.

Why not repeal those?

OK, I'm a private US citizen. You get a look at my 80 year old Browning shotgun and fall in love with it. We haggle and agree on a price. Do you want me to have access to your criminal and medical records?
My father passed away 3 years ago and left me his weapons. Who conducts the background check?

Last edited:

OK, I'm a private US citizen. You get a look at my 80 year old Browning shotgun and fall in love with it. We haggle and agree on a price. Do you want me to have access to your criminal and medical records?
My father passed away 3 years ago and left me his weapons. Who conducts the background check?

i'm a prospective employer and you have applied for a job. your resume looks good, your references checked out. I'm about to hire you. I know, let me pretend I am selling you a gun and run a background check on you. you took an anti depressant 10 years ago after the tragic death of your child. you fail the background check. well i don't want to hire you now.

so once a person goes through a background check and we determine he is a nut case, what do we do with him? just not let him buy a gun but go back into society whe he can beat someone with a hammer or stab them? if this is really about safety, shouldn't we be fixing the problem when we identify it?

If the background check shows that he's that much of a nutcase...doesn't that mean that he's already been identified as a nutcase?

was lanza already identified? the dude who shot giffords or the guy in colorado. what about the ex cop? again, what do we do about these people now that we identified a problem with them?

Kelly Ayotte isn't up for reelection until 2016. Nobody is going to give a shit about this by that time, just like half the country now no longer give a shit about gun control just five months after Newtown.

Also does it matter that New Hampshire state government is not pushing any kind of gun control bills? And the people of the state are not pushing their elected officials to push for some type of gun control legislation?

Yanno......................I've been a pretty good person all my life, and I didn't do many things that were illegal (although, I did pee on a bush in public once).

However..............................even though I messed up once (peeing on a bush where a cop could see me at 3:00 am), it didn't mess me up from getting a security clearance. And.............every time that I had to fill out the paperwork, I did so willingly and even included the incident where I was arrested for peeing in public.

I knew that I hadn't done anything wrong that would prevent me from getting a Secret clearance. Matter of fact, I've had them a couple of times in my career, even had call to get a Top Secret clearance while I served in the Navy.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't really get bent out of shape about the background checks.

I never had anything to hide (and still don't), so why shouldn't I be willing to submit to a check?

Yanno......................I've been a pretty good person all my life, and I didn't do many things that were illegal (although, I did pee on a bush in public once).

However..............................even though I messed up once (peeing on a bush where a cop could see me at 3:00 am), it didn't mess me up from getting a security clearance. And.............every time that I had to fill out the paperwork, I did so willingly and even included the incident where I was arrested for peeing in public.

I knew that I hadn't done anything wrong that would prevent me from getting a Secret clearance. Matter of fact, I've had them a couple of times in my career, even had call to get a Top Secret clearance while I served in the Navy.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't really get bent out of shape about the background checks.

I never had anything to hide (and still don't), so why shouldn't I be willing to submit to a check?

We already have background checks who is getting bent out of shape over something we have had for years?

We already have background checks who is getting bent out of shape over something we have had for years?

If that's the truth, then why are around 40 percent of the gun sales (mostly done at gun shows) not checked?

Yeah...................sure.........................there are background checks done at gun retailers (like Wal Mart or your local sporting shop), but the don't really happen at gun shows, because the retailers try to pass it off as selling to friends?

Keep trying LittleRetardedRebeccaNC.....................but you're not gonna win.

If that's the truth, then why are around 40 percent of the gun sales (mostly done at gun shows) not checked?

Yeah...................sure.........................there are background checks done at gun retailers (like Wal Mart or your local sporting shop), but the don't really happen at gun shows, because the retailers try to pass it off as selling to friends?

Keep trying LittleRetardedRebeccaNC.....................but you're not gonna win.

You're asking me if what I said was the truth, but you're the one using a lie ? Stop it.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't really get bent out of shape about warrantless wiretaps.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't really get bent out of shape about being forced to testify against yourself.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't really get bent out of shape about not having a trial by a jury of your peers.

You people crack me up.
:lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back