Israeli ultra-Orthodox Jews in jail after demo

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Dozens of Israeli men were in jail on Friday a day after ultra-Orthodox Jews staged their largest protest in 10 years in support of parents who defied a supreme court ruling on school integration.

But 22 mothers of pupils at an ultra-Orthodox girls' school in a West Bank settlement were given a stay of arrest while the court considered a plea to let them stay at home to care for their young families.

Settlers' news website Channel 7 and public radio said Judge Edmund Levy decided that the court would reconvene on Sunday to discuss the request.

Israeli media said that some of the mothers were pregnant, while others had children with special needs. Ultra-Orthodox families generally have large families, far above the average of the secular Israeli population.

"We shall wait for the court's decision before taking any action," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told AFP.

The media reported that a confrontation with the parents' many supporters would be likely if police sought to arrest the women.

Around 100,000 angry ultra-Orthodox Jews rallied in Jerusalem on Thursday in protest at the court's decision to jail a group of parents of European origin, or Ashkenazis, for refusing to send their daughters to a school with Jewish girls whose families originate from Arab countries, known as Sephardis.

It was the biggest demonstration by the ultra-Orthodox since February 1999 when at least 250,000 protesters declared their opposition to supreme court rulings challenging the Orthodox establishment's monopoly on marriage, divorce and other religious and social issues.

Israeli ultra-Orthodox Jews in jail after demo

can one go as far as to object to another due to differences such as these?

Every religion (except maybe the Buddhist) has their nutjobs. Too much religion is a very bad things, however (I know this will sound ass backwards because I don't believe in god) too little religion is bad for most people.

Ironically, JEWISH rock throwers are not shot with beanbag shotguns and tear gas.

shocker.

Every religion (except maybe the Buddhist) has their nutjobs. Too much religion is a very bad things, however (I know this will sound ass backwards because I don't believe in god) too little religion is bad for most people.

Leo Strauss felt the same way. Go figure. :eusa_eh:

I think some people need the believe in a higher power that will eventually judge their morality after they die (personally I think that is ridiculous). It helps some people keep to a moral and humane path. AA members definitely need it. I hope leaders of nations who general don't have to answer to anyone but "god" have it. Just as long as they don't go too far and get over-religious, then it becomes counter-productive. If religious overwhelms ones life, then its becomes dangerous!

I think some people need the believe in a higher power that will eventually judge their morality after they die (personally I think that is ridiculous). It helps some people keep to a moral and humane path. AA members definitely need it. I hope leaders of nations who general don't have to answer to anyone but "god" have it. Just as long as they don't go too far and get over-religious, then it becomes counter-productive. If religious overwhelms ones life, then its becomes dangerous!

I would prefer people to pursue ethical reasoning for its own sake, rather than some pay-off or punishment.

I would prefer people to pursue ethical reasoning for its own sake, rather than some pay-off or punishment.

True, but I think religion helps many get to ethical reasoning (and all toss many off the ethical reasoning bus also). Take evangicals. As a group, they give the most to charity, the voluntary the most to help in poor countries and they are some of the kindest, most caring, forgiving and accepting people (unless you a Queer) in the world today. I have to say that is because of their religion!

True, but I think religion helps many get to ethical reasoning (and all toss many off the ethical reasoning bus also). Take evangicals. As a group, they give the most to charity, the voluntary the most to help in poor countries and they are some of the kindest, most caring, forgiving and accepting people (unless you a Queer) in the world today. I have to say that is because of their religion!

It is the "unless you a" fill in any hated blank part I find disturbing. Ethics make no such distinctions. Humans are humans, and all worthy of ethical treatment. Allowed exclusions to "all" leads to dehumanization and scumbuggery.

The Ultra Orthodox are perfectly entitled to their religious beliefs and practices. The only time faith like that needs to be curtailed is when the faith may cause the death or harm of others.

I have liked all of the untra orthodox Jews I have ever met. They usually know who JHVH is.
When people at least know who God is, they are usually very straight and up front.

Most Christians in the United States do not have a clue who God is, simply because they never read the Bible so they can know God. He is a mighty warrior.

Forum List

Back