Israeli state officials disappointed with Obama meeting

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Israeli state officials were disappointed Tuesday with the results of the Netanyahu-Obama meeting at the White House on Monday. "There were no surprises," a senior state official said. "It was clear from recent months that there are differences between ourselves and the Americans. We have different perspectives when it comes to the question of time and red lines."

It was claimed that the Americans view the Iranian issue in the context of the upcoming presidential elections. "It's a bad message for the issue and a good message for the Iranians," a state official said.

"We want the Americans to change their rhetoric vis-à-vis the Iranians. The US says that when Khamenei decides to make a bomb that would be crossing a red line. How do we know for sure he's made the decision? What happens after that? There will be a new discussion on whether this is credible or not."

Israeli concerns primarily stem from past differences with the US on the Iranian nuclear issue. For years Israel asserted that Tehran was working on a military nuclear program while Washington refused to accept the Israeli intelligence analysis. It took the Americans two years to become persuaded.

"The Iranians are charging at nuclear capabilities at full force and even the IAEA is falling in line with the Israeli intelligence evaluations," a senior state official said. "That is why the US stance is problematic."

Nevertheless, Israeli officials were pleased with the US assertion that Israel has the right to act. "They won't tell us what to do. They have no interest in giving a red light or a green light because then they take responsibility for the situation. That is why we're in the grey zone now."

Israel's political-security forums are slated to discuss the talks with the US and reach a new status evaluation on Israel's position.

"As of yet, there is no decision to attack but we'll see what tomorrow brings," a senior official close to the talks with the Americans said. "Right now we are certain the Americans won't do anything and we need to decide what to do."

Israeli state officials disappointed with Obama meeting - Israel News, Ynetnews

I once had a friend who, after a few drinks, liked to start fights knowing I'd back him up, i soon dropped him as a drinking buddy

I once had a friend who, after a few drinks, liked to start fights knowing I'd back him up, i soon dropped him as a drinking buddy

So now you're a solitary drinker with no friends? What a sad story.

It was claimed that the Americans view the Iranian issue in the context of the upcoming presidential elections. "It's a bad message for the issue and a good message for the Iranians," a state official said.

If this is the case it is also a bad message for Obama.

Forum List

Back