Israeli soldiers are killing themselves

Eloy

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2016
European Union
It is reported by The Times of Israel that the top cause of death among the Israel Defense Force (IDF) in 2016 was suicide. "Fifteen IDF soldiers — all of them male — committed suicide last year, the same number as the year before and the year before that, according to a senior official in the IDF’s Manpower Directorate."
Suicide was top cause of death for IDF soldiers in 2016
No explanation for these suicides was offered by the IDF but it stands to reason that some young soldiers might find themselves conscripted and expected to enforce a brutal occupation of of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and this must cause considerable stress especially on those who struggle to resist being dehumanized in the process. Consider that: "Of the soldiers who committed suicide, for instance, 12 were conscripts, two were career soldiers, and one was a reservist."

It is reported by The Times of Israel that the top cause of death among the Israel Defense Force (IDF) in 2016 was suicide. "Fifteen IDF soldiers — all of them male — committed suicide last year, the same number as the year before and the year before that, according to a senior official in the IDF’s Manpower Directorate."
No explanation for these suicides was offered by the IDF but it stands to reason that some young soldiers might find themselves conscripted and expected to enforce a brutal occupation of of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and this must cause considerable stress especially on those who struggle to resist being dehumanized in the process. Consider that: "Of the soldiers who committed suicide, for instance, 12 were conscripts, two were career soldiers, and one was a reservist."

Looks like Eloy found another topic to harp on. Naturally he is overlooking the fact that sadly there are many suicides in the U.S. military. Are you an American citizen, Eloy? If so, perhaps you can find a way for our soldiers not to commit suicide.

U.S. military suicides remain high for 7th year - USA Today

No explanation for these suicides was offered by the IDF but it stands to reason ....

Here's the reason for these suicides:

1. Take the average number of suicides across the entire Israeli population: ~12 per hundred thousand

2. Take the total number of active IDF personnel: 175,000.

3. Do the math.

4. Oh looky here, how many suicides would we expect to see in a population that size? 19. And how many were there? 15.

So there is no reason to go about trying to fabricate some special Israeli evil here. Its just the average Israeli suicide rate.

But perhaps you would join me in reminding all those who have contemplated suicide that they are loved, that their problems (though they don't seem like it) really are temporary and that it will get better.

Sorry to "disappoint" or "burst" your bubble, but most soldiers who committ suicide do it out of personal problems at home, or have trouble adjusting to military life, or have personal problems before.

There is no issue of dealing with "occupying" anyone. You people are trying to twist reality to suit your agenda. It is obvious and quite pathetic.

Last edited:
No explanation for these suicides was offered by the IDF but it stands to reason ....

Here's the reason for these suicides:

1. Take the average number of suicides across the entire Israeli population: ~12 per hundred thousand

2. Take the total number of active IDF personnel: 175,000.

3. Do the math.

4. Oh looky here, how many suicides would we expect to see in a population that size? 19. And how many were there? 15.

So there is no reason to go about trying to fabricate some special Israeli evil here. Its just the average Israeli suicide rate.

But perhaps you would join me in reminding all those who have contemplated suicide that they are loved, that their problems (though they don't seem like it) really are temporary and that it will get better.
Your implication that the stress on a young conscript in the IDF raiding and ransacking Palestinian homes in Hebron in the dead of night is less than the average Israeli, say a boy of 7 in a Haifa primary school or a scientist in a Tel Aviv laboratory strikes me as complacent -- an attitude not conducive to recognizing the problem of suicide in the IDF and a determination to prevent it.

...If so, perhaps you can find a way for our soldiers not to commit suicide.

Ooh, maybe stop attacking/invading/"regime changing"/occupying other peoples countries?
Seriously, the UK military suicide rate is roughly half that of the US and most are PTSD related from Afghanistan veterans. Spin it any way you like but combat/occupation activity is stressful and can cause psychological problems, especially amongst younger soldiers. It's a serious issue and we really shouldn't treat it as a political football.

...If so, perhaps you can find a way for our soldiers not to commit suicide.

Ooh, maybe stop attacking/invading/"regime changing"/occupying other peoples countries?
Seriously, the UK military suicide rate is roughly half that of the US and most are PTSD related from Afghanistan veterans. Spin it any way you like but combat/occupation activity is stressful and can cause psychological problems, especially amongst younger soldiers. It's a serious issue and we really shouldn't treat it as a political football.

Tell it to the arab muslims that are doing it all the time

I had a 19-year-old cousin who was found dead a few months after being drafted into the IDF. Most likely it was a suicide, but my devastated uncle and aunt would not allow a formal investigation. The thing is that in Israel people look at you cross-eyed if you never did the Army. Additionally, besides being looked upon as weird, many career opportunities are lost to you. Therefore, not only did my uncle and aunt not try to prevent him from being drafted, although it was clear beforehand that he had major issues, but they actually did all they could to insure he was drafted. They hoped it would "make a man out of him." But he was a delicate boy and there was one drill sargeant who was especially harsh with him. I believe rylah once commented here that he was put in jail for refusing to join the IDF. That is also a consideration in Israel. rylah was very brave in that regard.

I had a 19-year-old cousin who was found dead a few months after being drafted into the IDF. Most likely it was a suicide, but my devastated uncle and aunt would not allow a formal investigation. The thing is that in Israel people look at you cross-eyed if you never did the Army. Additionally, besides being looked upon as weird, many career opportunities are lost to you. Therefore, not only did my uncle and aunt not try to prevent him from being drafted, although it was clear beforehand that he had major issues, but they actually did all they could to insure he was drafted. They hoped it would "make a man out of him." But he was a delicate boy and there was one drill sargeant who was especially harsh with him. I believe rylah once commented here that he was put in jail for refusing to join the IDF. That is also a consideration in Israel. rylah was very brave in that regard.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. That sounds horrible.

The first period of being a new recruits is difficult. I remember crying for days during the training period. My commander was a sadist in my eyes at the time, the enviroment felt wrong and I just cried for wanting to go home so bad.

Usually you get used to it after a couple of weeks, but there are those who get stuck in depression and trauma and can't pull themselves out of it. Add it to the fact that they're given rifles, and there you have it..

Sorry to "disappoint" or "burst" your bubble, but most soldiers who committ suicide do it out of personal problems at home, or have trouble adjusting to military life, or have personal problems before.

There is no issue of dealing with "occupying" anyone. You people are trying to twist reality to suit your agenda. It is obvious and quite pathetic.

Ransacking people's homes performing searches while kids are screaming, mothers are crying and grabbing at you and the father looks on helplessly, causes a lot of stress. More than that of a firefight.

Okay, so let's be honest here. This isn't really a thread about suicide, but an excuse to talk about the evils of Israel. Again.

Your implication that the stress on a young conscript in the IDF raiding and ransacking Palestinian homes in Hebron in the dead of night is less than the average Israeli, say a boy of 7 in a Haifa primary school or a scientist in a Tel Aviv laboratory strikes me as complacent -- an attitude not conducive to recognizing the problem of suicide in the IDF and a determination to prevent it.

Actually, if you had read the entirety of the link you posted, you would see that Israel does quite a bit to prevent it. You would also know that Israel has been extremely successful at lowering its suicide rate throughout society in the past ten years. AND you would know that even the re-introduction of permitting soldiers to take their weapons home when on leave did not raise the suicide rate.

What your true intent was for this thread was to demonize Israeli soldiers and Israeli society.

Ransacking people's homes performing searches while kids are screaming, mothers are crying and grabbing at you and the father looks on helplessly, causes a lot of stress. More than that of a firefight.

Yet lifting bodies of your friends when they get rammed over by ISIS Palestginian jackholes, will leave you twice as many scars.

Son't try go all emotional card on me, or twist reality. Suicide among soldiers happen due to personal reasons. I know what I'm talking about more than you realize.

So you an anti-Israelis better quit bullshiting.

All soldiers everywhere suffer from higher than normal suicide rates.

Part of the reason is due to the stress from the separation cause by duty.

Part is due to having been taught to solve problems in combat with a gun.

And in some cases it is Susie sending him her Dear John letter.

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately not everyone is cut out for military service.

Even Moses noted this in the Tenakh.

happens all the time in the US, so why is it only a concern when it is the Jews doing it

It saddened me to read of your cousin's death. Some people are sensitive and they are better because of it. They act as a reminder to the rest of us if what constitutes human values.
Being conscripted for military service in Israel must be a nightmare for anyone who does not share the societal expectations and approval of the brutal policies enforced by the occupation of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
I believe a rethink is needed by the Israeli people about what they want Israel to represent in today's world for themselves and their neighbors.

Not many, if any, societies these days maintain a permanent military occupation of a population as large as its own, if not larger. It may seem normal because it has gone on for so long, but it is an abnormal dynamic if you really think about it. Some of the less insensitive soldiers that maintain that occupation must not do well psychologically.

Forum List

Back