Israeli Airport Security Challenged

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel's renowned airline security faced a legal challenge Wednesday from a civil rights group charging that its practice of ethnic profiling is racist because it singles out Arabs for tougher treatment.

At a Supreme Court hearing, civil rights lawyers demanded an end to the policy, which they say violates Israeli law. Such profiling is illegal in the U.S., where passengers must be singled out for security checks on a random basis.

But some terrorism experts say Israel's measures are effective precisely because they take ethnicity into account—and warn that equality at the airport could cost lives.

Israel is considered a prime target for hijackers and other attackers because of the Israel-Palestinian conflict. Despite that, there hasn't been a successful attack on an Israeli airliner in decades, and experts point to Israel's security procedures as a key factor.

Many of the measures are kept secret, but known precautions on Israeli airliners include armored luggage compartments, armed sky marshals and reinforced cockpits. But a key to preventing attacks, experts say, is the screening process on the ground.

Israeli Jews and Arabs get dramatically different treatment when boarding Israeli planes.

Hanna Swaid, an Israeli Arab, remembers being strip-searched by gruff security guards and having his luggage taken apart piece by piece 20 years ago before he flew from Israel to London, where he was a post- doctoral student.

Today, Swaid is an Israeli Arab lawmaker, and he regularly receives complaints from Arab citizens about similar treatment.

The court appeal by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel—and any public debate of the policy—are hobbled by the government's refusal to discuss any of the policy's details.

In court, the government's attorneys would not reveal the screening criteria or acknowledge that ethnicity was one of them. They agreed to divulge the information only in a closed session that excluded everyone but the judges and themselves.

Representatives of Israel's Transport Ministry, Ben-Gurion International Airport and the Israel Airports Authority said Wednesday they would not comment before the end of legal proceedings. The next hearing is scheduled for May, and any decision in the case is at least months away.

Swaid says he understands the need for security checks. "It's in my interest and that of all the other travelers," he said. But the screening should be done equally for both Arabs and Jews, he said.

Proponents of Israel's approach say checking all passengers equally would require manpower and resources many times greater than are needed today and would needlessly extend the time passengers spend waiting for flights.

Ariel Merari, an Israeli terrorism expert who has written about aviation security, said ethnic profiling is both effective and unavoidable.

"It's foolishness not to use profiles when you know that most terrorists come from certain ethnic groups and certain age groups," he said. "A bomber on a plane is likely to be Muslim and young, not an elderly Holocaust survivor. We're talking about preventing a lot of casualties, and that justifies inconveniencing a certain ethnic group."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VGOUA00&show_article=1

You have probably never going to speak from experience on this, huh? I traveled to Israel. They searched everyone pretty extensively. They are technically at war with their neighbors which are composed mostly of Arabs. They have Arab countries preaching their destruction. You can take the PC shit and shove it up your ass. Israel has the right to first and foremost defend its citizens.

I don't see a problem with this...except I imagine it'd be easy enough (?) to get a fake id changing your nationality.

yea..

it's probably not a convenient excuse to facilitate racism against arabs..

you know...

since they are all terrorists deep down inside just like our blacks are all shiftless, lazy *******.

:rolleyes:

There's a definite problem between Israel and a handful of Arab nations, wouldn't you agree? As long as the situation exists they should be able to profile.

By that logic should we be able to profile against blacks and latinos given who is gang banging?

no.. actual western nations don't do that, do they?

I think that it really is no different if we look at the role that minorities have played in the US and our effort to keep from blaming the entire race while comparing such to an israel that openly puts a premium on being jewish and has no problem whatsoever assuming that every arab is a terrorist.

Like I said, ACTUAL western nations don't blame the population because of a sample.. We learned this about blacks, GERMANS learned this about jews and, ironically enough, israel and her enablers just don't give a fuck about assuming that ALL arabs are evil.

Sample? All but Jordan and Egypt refuse to even acknowledge Israel has a right to exist. Israel has been attacked how many times since 1948? And by whom? How many Jews, whites blacks or Asians have hijacked air planes and murdered Jews? How many organizations that are NOT Muslim have vowed to wipe Israel from the face of the Earth?

Your argument is ignorant on it's face.

yup..

because ALL pals fall into your nice little box, don't they?

You've PERSONALLY asked every goddamn arab in the mid east for their opinion, haven't you?

just like all those shifty eyed ******* proved their stereotypes this side of national equality rather than a premium on being white.

you know, besides the fact that they have a point given the less than proud creation of the jewish state. notice I said JEWISH state rather than israeli state. if only william Joyce and his buddies could make the same claim about a WHITE US state that israel gets to enjoy, eh?

Hell, since blacks and latinos are the majority gang bangers, in accordance with your excuse for israel, why NOT let our police go ahead and profile according to race. After all, white kids are as immune to thugging it up as JEWS are to being racists, right buddy?

yup..

because ALL pals fall into your nice little box, don't they?

You've PERSONALLY asked every goddamn arab in the mid east for their opinion, haven't you?

just like all those shifty eyed ******* proved their stereotypes this side of national equality rather than a premium on being white.

you know, besides the fact that they have a point given the less than proud creation of the jewish state. notice I said JEWISH state rather than israeli state. if only william Joyce and his buddies could make the same claim about a WHITE US state that israel gets to enjoy, eh?

Hell, since blacks and latinos are the majority gang bangers, in accordance with your excuse for israel, why NOT let our police go ahead and profile according to race. After all, white kids are as immune to thugging it up as JEWS are to being racists, right buddy?

Once again remind me of all the JEWS that have hijacked aircraft and murdered people, especially other Jews. Your examples are ignorant and worthless. But do keep on claiming that we should force a Country to stop using security measures that work as evidenced by 30 years of no hijackings.Procedures that do not harm anyone and do not prevent them from flying.

Explain how searching 80 year old white women helps keep or airways safe? While ignoring the very people we know might in fact actually hijack an aircraft?

Once again remind me of all the JEWS that have hijacked aircraft and murdered people, especially other Jews. Your examples are ignorant and worthless. But do keep on claiming that we should force a Country to stop using security measures that work as evidenced by 30 years of no hijackings.Procedures that do not harm anyone and do not prevent them from flying.

Explain how searching 80 year old white women helps keep or airways safe? While ignoring the very people we know might in fact actually hijack an aircraft?

Gee, smart guy.. how many whites needed to RIOT during the fucking 60s? Wanna humor me and remind me why those ******* weren't all thrown in jail when they lit cities on fire?

Of COURSE you'd think they are worthless, dude.. It's not like you are breaking a pattern that klansmen and nazis have made readily available, eh?

An 80s year old white woman keeps her nation from being the racist pieces of shit that your dogma requires you to allow to be as racist as they wanna be. Hell, let's be honest here. you are just WAITING for jebus and the jews to tangle with those satanic arabs anyway so why pretend that your personal racism isn't justified?

oops, nevermind.. you just did that.

Gee, smart guy.. how many whites needed to RIOT during the fucking 60s? Wanna humor me and remind me why those ******* weren't all thrown in jail when they lit cities on fire?

Of COURSE you'd think they are worthless, dude.. It's not like you are breaking a pattern that klansmen and nazis have made readily available, eh?

An 80s year old white woman keeps her nation from being the racist pieces of shit that your dogma requires you to allow to be as racist as they wanna be. Hell, let's be honest here. you are just WAITING for jebus and the jews to tangle with those satanic arabs anyway so why pretend that your personal racism isn't justified?

oops, nevermind.. you just did that.

Your ignorant anti religious tirades are beyond the pale. You are as stupid as a rock on any point to do with Israel, Jews or any thing religious. Your close minded prejudice prevents rational thought and stops any effective communication with you.

Shogun, I think if there is an immediate, credible threat then it is okay to profile on a temporary basis. But to just profile as a matter of course is wrong.

Your ignorant anti religious tirades are beyond the pale. You are as stupid as a rock on any point to do with Israel, Jews or any thing religious. Your close minded prejudice prevents rational thought and stops any effective communication with you.

dude.. your post might not be as funny if you didn't have that moroni signed golden disc sticking out of your ass. You may very well want to ignore the dogma origin of your butt buddy relationship with anything jewish but non-christians get to be unbiased like that. Shall I quote the bible, dude? Shall I give examples of your moral imparative to kiss some chosen ass and demonize muslims? Just say the word, dude.. It won't be MY opinion of religion that makes my point. No, it would be your lame fucking ghost in the sky mythology that DICTATES what ethnic group you must support regardless of the Jericho treatment arabs enjoy these days.

Make your little "dumb like a rock about religion" joke even funnier by challenging me to quote your holy book, dude.

Shogun, I think if there is an immediate, credible threat then it is okay to profile on a temporary basis. But to just profile as a matter of course is wrong.

soo.. then.. was if OK for pre-ww2 germans who felt a national threat against jews to "temorarily" identify the threat? why is it that the same rules that apply TO the jews don't apply FOR the jews? After all, jews really are capable of terrorism. Jews really HAVE assasinated, blown up, taken hostage, murdered etc etc. and we ignore it. Let an arab kill a jew and all of a sudden every single palestinian alive is a terrorist. Again, I'll ask my question, In pre-ww2 germany where GERMANS felt a viable threat from jews was it perfectly fine to make them wear yellow stars of david... you know, just in case.

All that is lovely and all...

except jews aren't terrorists. you'll have to talk to Hamas and Hezbollah about that.

Of course, if you have any balls, you can join me on the beach in Tel Aviv and then we'll talk about the propriety of profiling at the airport.

But nah...; no antisemitism in comparing jews to nazi animals... none whatsoever. Perhaps you've never been to the Holocaust museum either. Strike that, perhaps is the wrong word. You definitely haven't.

soo.. then.. was if OK for pre-ww2 germans who felt a national threat against jews to "temorarily" identify the threat? why is it that the same rules that apply TO the jews don't apply FOR the jews? After all, jews really are capable of terrorism. Jews really HAVE assasinated, blown up, taken hostage, murdered etc etc. and we ignore it. Let an arab kill a jew and all of a sudden every single palestinian alive is a terrorist. Again, I'll ask my question, In pre-ww2 germany where GERMANS felt a viable threat from jews was it perfectly fine to make them wear yellow stars of david... you know, just in case.

What? Of course what the Germans did was wrong.

Sure, Jews are people to and just as capable of evil. If the Arabs want to do the same screening because they feel a threat then they are welcome to do it as well to their Jewish citizens. And if the Irish start blowing up buildings then they are welcome to profile them...

So if any ethnic group of people started strapping bombs on their backs and started blowing up area Walmart's you'd have a problem profiling them on a temporary basis?

What? Of course what the Germans did was wrong.

Sure, Jews are people to and just as capable of evil. If the Arabs want to do the same screening because they feel a threat then they are welcome to do it as well to their Jewish citizens. And if the Irish start blowing up buildings then they are welcome to profile them...

So if any ethnic group of people started strapping bombs on their backs and started blowing up area Walmart's you'd have a problem profiling them on a temporary basis?

Well, there would be the whole fact that Jews DON'T strap bombs to their bellies..... so while Jews may be capable of evil, they don't target civilians and haven't been evil either historically or currently.

Forum List

Back