Israel Wages Cyber War With Hamas

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"Knowledge of computer code is proving to be as important to Israel’s conflict with Hamas as the Iron Dome system intercepting rockets from the Gaza Strip. In a government building in Jerusalem, technicians in civilian clothes sit in front of a bank of screens, trying to deflect millions of attempted attacks on Israel’s government websites.

The group used the mined information to send warnings via text message, saying “we will make Gaza a graveyard for you and your soldiers and we will turn Tel Aviv in to a massive flame,” according to the website.

Many of the barrages on Israeli sites originated from abroad, including the U.S. and Europe, as pro-Palestinian activists joined in, said Finance Minister Steinitz. Others come from the West Bank, Gaza, or Israeli computers on which stealth programs have been installed so they can be controlled remotely, said Ofir Ben-Avi, director of Israel’s e-government.

Hamas also wasn’t immune from attack. The Hamas Interior Ministry said on Nov. 18 by text message that Israeli hackers had penetrated and paralyzed its site, and told Gaza residents to seek necessary information on its Facebook page. The same day, an Israeli speaking broken Arabic on behalf of the Israeli army cut into the transmissions of Hamas and Islamic Jihad radio stations to warn Gaza residents to “keep away from Hamas infrastructure and don’t help the terrorists.”
Israel Wages Cyber War With Hamas - Businessweek

This level of sophistication and penetration should help to shorten this conflict as there truly is no safe zone to hide.

some day-----war will be entirely ----in the "hands" of computers and drones ------and they will----independently FIGHT EACH OTHER -------oh---that already happened----didn't it? I remember a PLANET OF COMPUTERS ------?????

• Banned
some day-----war will be entirely ----in the "hands" of computers and drones ------and they will----independently FIGHT EACH OTHER -------oh---that already happened----didn't it? I remember a PLANET OF COMPUTERS ------?????

This would seem to me to be a cleaner smarter war where there may be less collateral damage and more strategic strikes.

Forum List

Back