Israel tells the US to Go Fxxx Itself, again.

You buried the lead.

Every U.S. President since this bill was passed - from Bill Clinton to George W. Bush to Barak Obama - has chosen to exercise the authority of the presidential waiver, repeating that authority every six months.

So Jerusalem is in fact not recognized by the U.S. as the capital of Israel.

No countries have their embassies in Jerusalem - the few that did for a short time have moved them back to Tel Aviv.

Yes.
Please list other countries whose declared capital cities are not recognized by the international community. Very quickly we see the incredible double standard Israel is held to.

No double standard. It's not Israel's capital.

That would be news to the prime minister and knesset, both of whom meet in Jerusalem and say without equivocation that Jerusalem is the undivided eternal capital of Israel.
Or do you think other countries should be able to dictate where sovereign states have their capitals?

I don't have to post anything. you're the one making accusations, the burden of proof is on you. it's all in Indyk's book. all you have to do is read it (which i'm sure you won't).

I don't care how much some people will bend the truth. Israel is NOT going the let the Palestinians control their own border period. If you know anything about Israel you will agree with me.

First, I DEFINITELY know more about israel than you. Second what you've just said amounts to: i don't care how many people who have actually been involved in the negotiations tell me israel was willing to give the palestinians what they want. the are all liars. only I know the truth. talk to hand :talktothehand:

So, you are saying that Israel will allow the Palestinians import weapons?

You are mistaken. The relocation act remains valid law which is why Clinton, Bush, and now Obama must invoke the waiver clause every six months in order to prevent the State Department's funding for all US embassies from being reduced by 50% because of the delay in moving the embassy to Jerusalem. The act sought to force the President to move the embassy to Jerusalem by reducing the funding for all US embassies by 50% if it was not done by May 31, 1999 unless the President invoked national security concerns as the reason for delaying the move, so every six month, Presidents Clinton Bush and Obama have claimed national security interests as the reason for the delay. Furthermore, both the State Department and the CIA factbook, both under WH control, name Jerusalem as he capital of Israel.

So by its semi annual invocation of national security interests as the reason for delaying the move of the embassy to Jerusalem, the WH acknowledges the validity of the relocation act, and the act leaves no doubt that Congress considers an undivided Jerusalem to be the capital of Israel, and the fact that the administration allows the State Department and the CIA to list Jerusalem as the capital of Israel means the WH tacitly recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel even as it demurs from moving the embassy to Jerusalem for national security (or other) reasons.

Still not a part of official U.S. foreign policy. That's why the same thing was re-proposed just last year - this time without the security waiver - in an attempt to force it through:

H.R. 3412: Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act of 2009
Read The Bill: H.R. 3412 - GovTrack.us

No vote on it yet.

Official U.S. policy remains the same as it has been since 1967: Jerusalem is occupied territory, and its status is yet to be determined through negotiations between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

That depends on what you mean by Jerusalem. West Jerusalem, where the Israeli government and the PM's residence are located, has been part of Israel since 1949, and since the PA and the Arab League have called for an Israeli withdrawal only to the green line, they have conceded in principle if not in treaty that west Jerusalem is a part of Israel. That being the case, there is no official position or principle of US foreign policy that prevents the US embassy from being moved to west Jerusalem.

Yes.
Please list other countries whose declared capital cities are not recognized by the international community. Very quickly we see the incredible double standard Israel is held to.

That would be news to the prime minister and knesset, both of whom meet in Jerusalem and say without equivocation that Jerusalem is the undivided eternal capital of Israel.
Or do you think other countries should be able to dictate where sovereign states have their capitals?

You can shoot your way into any foreign city in the world in order to claim it's your capital, but the rest of the world got together and agreed that this sort of behavior is not allowed.

You are mistaken. The relocation act remains valid law which is why Clinton, Bush, and now Obama must invoke the waiver clause every six months in order to prevent the State Department's funding for all US embassies from being reduced by 50% because of the delay in moving the embassy to Jerusalem. The act sought to force the President to move the embassy to Jerusalem by reducing the funding for all US embassies by 50% if it was not done by May 31, 1999 unless the President invoked national security concerns as the reason for delaying the move, so every six month, Presidents Clinton Bush and Obama have claimed national security interests as the reason for the delay. Furthermore, both the State Department and the CIA factbook, both under WH control, name Jerusalem as he capital of Israel.

So by its semi annual invocation of national security interests as the reason for delaying the move of the embassy to Jerusalem, the WH acknowledges the validity of the relocation act, and the act leaves no doubt that Congress considers an undivided Jerusalem to be the capital of Israel, and the fact that the administration allows the State Department and the CIA to list Jerusalem as the capital of Israel means the WH tacitly recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel even as it demurs from moving the embassy to Jerusalem for national security (or other) reasons.

Still not a part of official U.S. foreign policy. That's why the same thing was re-proposed just last year - this time without the security waiver - in an attempt to force it through:

H.R. 3412: Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act of 2009

No vote on it yet.

Official U.S. policy remains the same as it has been since 1967: Jerusalem is occupied territory, and its status is yet to be determined through negotiations between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

That's your policy :cuckoo: not US policy.

I don't care how much some people will bend the truth. Israel is NOT going the let the Palestinians control their own border period. If you know anything about Israel you will agree with me.

First, I DEFINITELY know more about israel than you. Second what you've just said amounts to: i don't care how many people who have actually been involved in the negotiations tell me israel was willing to give the palestinians what they want. the are all liars. only I know the truth. talk to hand :talktothehand:

Well sadly, PMs Netanyahu and Olmert neglected to send me my invitation to the negotiation table, so i don't know. The difference between us is, that when I don't know, i say "I don't know", while you, apparantly, already have all the answers.

what i can tell you is that in the past, no only has israel allowed the PA to purchase some weapons, but WE gave them the weapons!

SEC. 2. RECOGNITION OF JERUSALEM AS THE CAPITAL OF ISRAEL AND RELOCATION OF THE UNITED STATES EMBASSY TO JERUSALEM.

(a) Policy- It is the policy of the United States to recognize Jerusalem as the undivided capital of the State of Israel, both de jure and de facto.

(b) Sense of Congress- It is the sense of Congress that--

(1) Jerusalem must remain an undivided city in which the rights of every ethnic and religious group are protected as they have been by Israel since 1967;

(2) every citizen of Israel should have the right to reside anywhere in the undivided city of Jerusalem;

(3) the President and the Secretary of State should publicly affirm as a matter of United States policy that Jerusalem must remain the undivided capital of the State of Israel;

(4) the President should immediately implement the provisions of the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 (Public Law 104-5) and begin the process of relocating the United States Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem; and

(5) United States officials should refrain from any actions that contradict United States law on this subject.d) Identification of Jerusalem on Government Documents- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any official document of the United States Government which lists countries and their capital cities shall identify Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

(c) Removal of Waiver Authority- The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 (Public Law 104-45) is amended--

(1) by striking section 7; and

(2) by redesignating section 8 as section 7.

(

You buried the lead.

Every U.S. President since this bill was passed - from Bill Clinton to George W. Bush to Barak Obama - has chosen to exercise the authority of the presidential waiver, repeating that authority every six months.

So Jerusalem is in fact not recognized by the U.S. as the capital of Israel.

No countries have their embassies in Jerusalem - the few that did for a short time have moved them back to Tel Aviv.

Incorrect. US president haven't had the balls to move the embassy and upset the arabs, which is very unfortunate, however, as the declaration states jerusalem is recognized by the US as Israel's capital.

Section 3 b deals with the actual move of the embassy.

It doesn't say that the president may suspend any other part of it.

According to the U.S. Constitution, only the President has the authority to recognize foreign sovereignty over territory.

Certainly Congress has adopted several resolutions calling for U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. However, they have no binding effect on official foreign policy - they are essentially recommendations to the President.

Right after Congress passed this particular motion in 1995, the Justice Department Office of Legal Counsel advised the White House and Congress that the provisions of the bill invade exclusive presidential authority over foreign affairs, and are thus unconstitutional.

And it remains suspended under Presidential waiver.

The right to waiver was eliminated in 2009, and the waiver only dealt with section 3 b which only dealt with moving the embassy.

The US still recognizes Israel as the capital as a matter of law.

Yes.

Rabbi, I agree with you completely. On the other hand, just like people denying Israel's right to exist, to the Jerusalem as capital issue i pose the following question to the world:

Who the Fuck asked You?!?! Jerusalem IS our capital. If you don't like it, you can kiss my (our) big white Jewish Ass(es).

Did Sweden ask enybody's permission before making Stockholm the capital? did france? did the US? no. neither do we. Jerusalem is the Israeli capital, whethear you want to acknowledge that or not.

I completely agree. I really don't give a fuck who accepts it and who doesn't.

Israel is the capital of Israel and it doesn't need an international consensus to make it so.

Few here add anything. You are not one of them.

Thanks, if you read your comment you are stating I am not one of those who adds nothing to the discussion.

It is pretty moronic of Marc39 to write the same thing four times in different ways while completely ignoring the implications of not having the USA embassy in the capital of Israel.

We get that congress passed a law or resolution, big deal, its the actions and implications of those actions that have a negative effect on our foriegn policy.

The implication is that american presidents have been pussies for not moving it so they don't antagonize the arabs.

However, Jerusalem is the US recognized capital of Israel.

The Jerusalem Embassy Relocation Act

The Act was adopted on October 23, 1995, by both the Senate (93-5) and the House (374-37)..

CMIKE, who are you responding to here, if its me your comments are misdirected. I know the history of this topic and not once did I post anything that indicates that I do not understand the content that followed in your post.

Marc39, your continued response was that of a complete Moron, further as I read much of your other posts on the topic of Palestine I see you have only a GOOGLE/CUT/PASTE understanding of the history of Palestine.

Well sadly, PMs Netanyahu and Olmert neglected to send me my invitation to the negotiation table, so i don't know. The difference between us is, that when I don't know, i say "I don't know", while you, apparantly, already have all the answers.

what i can tell you is that in the past, no only has israel allowed the PA to purchase some weapons, but WE gave them the weapons!

Arming the PA is a long story.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=demnow/dem...deo/dnB20070517a.rm&proto=rtsp&start=00:35:01

What demands is the US making of the Arabs ?

There were just rockets shot into Israeli cities.

Thanks, if you read your comment you are stating I am not one of those who adds nothing to the discussion.

It is pretty moronic of Marc39 to write the same thing four times in different ways while completely ignoring the implications of not having the USA embassy in the capital of Israel.

We get that congress passed a law or resolution, big deal, its the actions and implications of those actions that have a negative effect on our foriegn policy.

The implication is that american presidents have been pussies for not moving it so they don't antagonize the arabs.

However, Jerusalem is the US recognized capital of Israel.

The Jerusalem Embassy Relocation Act

The Act was adopted on October 23, 1995, by both the Senate (93-5) and the House (374-37)..

CMIKE, who are you responding to here, if its me your comments are misdirected. I know the history of this topic and not once did I post anything that indicates that I do not understand the content that followed in your post.

Marc39, your continued response was that of a complete Moron, further as I read much of your other posts on the topic of Palestine I see you have only a GOOGLE/CUT/PASTE understanding of the history of Palestine.

If you ever achieve even a hundredth of one percent of the knowledge I have, we'll celebrate with a massive fireworks display.

Sound good?

Forum List

Back