Israel Seeks Exemption From Atomic Rules

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Tuesday September 25, 2007 8:16 PM

By GEORGE JAHN

Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Israel is looking to a U.S.-India nuclear deal to expand its own ties to suppliers, quietly lobbying for an exemption to non-proliferation rules so it can legally import atomic material, according to documents made available Tuesday to The Associated Press.

The move is sure to raise concerns among Arab nations already considering their neighbor the region's atomic arms threat. Israel has never publicly acknowledged having nuclear weapons but is generally considered to possess them.

The new push is reflected in papers Israel presented earlier this year to the ``Nuclear Suppliers' Group'' - 45 nations that export nuclear fuel and technology under strict rules meant to lessen the dangers of proliferation and trafficking in materials that could be used for a weapons program.

The initiative appeared to be linked to a U.S.-India agreement that would effectively waive the group's rules by allowing the United States to supply India with nuclear fuel despite its refusal both to sign the nonproliferation treaty and allowing the IAEA to inspect all of its nuclear facilities.

Israeli officials began examining how their country could profit from that deal as early as last year, at one point proposing that the U.S. ask for an exemption from restrictions stipulating safeguards by the U.N. nuclear agency on all nuclear facilities, said a diplomat familiar with the issue. The U.S. rejected that request, he said, demanding anonymity for discussing restricted information.

The diplomat said the Israeli papers were ``acknowledged but definitely not embraced'' by the NSG member nations.

Still, the documents show that Israel has not given up its quest.

Under a cover letter labeled ``confidential,'' the two papers were circulated among the group March 19 by Japan, whose mission to Vienna's International Atomic Energy Agency serves as the liaison office for the group.

Among the hurdles still to be cleared before the U.S.-India pact becomes reality is NSG approval of an exemption for India from group restrictions. Critics have warned that the deal, if it goes through, will deal a blow to efforts to contain the spread of nuclear arms by effectively rewarding a country that has developed nuclear weapons while evading the nonproliferation pact.

Besides India, only Pakistan and North Korea are known to have nuclear weapons and be outside the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. Israel is considered an undeclared weapons state, with a doctrine of ``nuclear ambiguity.''

In the paper proposing a list of criteria to be used by NSG countries for ``Nuclear Collaboration with non-NPT States,'' Israel inadvertently appeared to touch on the debate over its own status, saying one condition should be application of ``stringent physical protection, control, and accountancy measures to all nuclear weapons ... in its territory.''

The other document urges ``the international community at large and NSG Member States in particular'' to cooperate ``with non-NPT states with strong non-proliferation credentials'' in the ``supply of (nuclear) know-how and equipment.''

Despite close U.S.-Israeli ties, Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns appeared to rule out special treatment for the Jewish state, telling reporters earlier this year that NSG countries needed to know the deal with India ``won't be a precedent to bring other countries in under the same basis.''

But Daryl Kimball, an analyst and executive director of the Arms Control Association, said that - even if unsuccessful - any attempt by Israel to move closer to nations exporting sensitive nuclear technology and material that could potentially be turned into fissile material for warheads would alarm many in the Middle East.

``There is a great deal of tensions between non-nuclear (Arab) weapons states and Israel, and the mere existence of this proposal would exacerbate ... the Middle East situation,'' he said from Washington.

And despite U.S. assurances, ``Israel's proposal illustrates the danger of making exemptions for individual countries from nonproliferation rules and standards,'' he said.

The most recent tensions over Israel's nuclear capabilities surfaced at the IAEA's 148-nation general conference. On Thursday, the Vienna meeting's penultimate day, only the U.S. and Israel voted against a critical resolution implicitly aimed at the Jewish State for refusing to put its nuclear program under international purview.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6948006,00.html

I was being sarcastic.

some on this board would call it antisemitic.

sure don't see the usual suspects of blind Israel supporters flocking to this thread though..

Dare I even suggest how they would respond if this were a muslim nation isntead of one they identify with?

Well of course we just accuse anyone we want to of trying to get WMD while we have HELPED Israel in their program. Its the only we KNOW have nukes but we wont be demanding they give them up or submit to inspections etc.

I am quite sure we will support their desire to NOT comply with any sort of non-proliferation agreements...we will encourage them TO PROLIFERATE! LOL!

Our stance on this issue is one of the crystal clear facts that reveal just how hypocritical we are and then we have the nerve to pretend that the region isnt "really" mad over the whole Israel thing. They ARE a very real danger to all their neighbors and the whole region... but we support those kind of threats and aggression.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/syria_10-06-03.html

Gee I wonder how we would have reacted if Syria had bombed a town in Israel and claimed it was a "terrorist camp".

Well of course we just accuse anyone we want to of trying to get WMD while we have HELPED Israel in their program. Its the only we KNOW have nukes but we wont be demanding they give them up or submit to inspections etc.

I am quite sure we will support their desire to NOT comply with any sort of non-proliferation agreements...we will encourage them TO PROLIFERATE! LOL!

Our stance on this issue is one of the crystal clear facts that reveal just how hypocritical we are and then we have the nerve to pretend that the region isnt "really" mad over the whole Israel thing. They ARE a very real danger to all their neighbors and the whole region... but we support those kind of threats and aggression.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/syria_10-06-03.html

Gee I wonder how we would have reacted if Syria had bombed a town in Israel and claimed it was a "terrorist camp".

Yup, just ignore the whole intelligence gathering part. The sharing of information. It is so much easier to make your idiotic supposed points by just pretending the world is flat.

Once again remind me how many times Israel has used a nuke on anyone? AT all? This claim that everyone is the same and equally capable of restraint is ignorance at it's finest.

Remind me of all the TV programs, movies, ads, stories and news reports from Israel on subhuman Muslims, of how Muslims eat babies and steal their blood. Of how Muslims have no right to exist and have no right to any defense or country. How Muslims should be driven into the sea or NUKED, wiped of the face of the earth.

Remind me of all the speeches by Israeli supreme leaders demanding Muslims be murdered just for existing, that Iran or any other country be wiped out of existance, of the terror groups Israel supports to make terror attacks on Iranian civilians , murdering innocents, shelling and rocketing towns and villages in Iran. Arming and training and assisting said groups in subverting other countries so as to more easily hide amongst its civilian population while shelling and rocketing Iran.

Your ignorance is simply unbelievable. Well actually no it isn't, you have expoused such riduculous claims so many times, it is totally expected.

Yup, just ignore the whole intelligence gathering part. The sharing of information. It is so much easier to make your idiotic supposed points by just pretending the world is flat.

Once again remind me how many times Israel has used a nuke on anyone? AT all? This claim that everyone is the same and equally capable of restraint is ignorance at it's finest.

Remind me of all the TV programs, movies, ads, stories and news reports from Israel on subhuman Muslims, of how Muslims eat babies and steal their blood. Of how Muslims have no right to exist and have no right to any defense or country. How Muslims should be driven into the sea or NUKED, wiped of the face of the earth.

Remind me of all the speeches by Israeli supreme leaders demanding Muslims be murdered just for existing, that Iran or any other country be wiped out of existance, of the terror groups Israel supports to make terror attacks on Iranian civilians , murdering innocents, shelling and rocketing towns and villages in Iran. Arming and training and assisting said groups in subverting other countries so as to more easily hide amongst its civilian population while shelling and rocketing Iran.

Your ignorance is simply unbelievable. Well actually no it isn't, you have expoused such riduculous claims so many times, it is totally expected.

"Intelligence gathering"? Well first we have a credibility problem since that has already been tried on us and turned out to be lies. Secondly, intelligence hasnt really gathered any information on Iran that says they are building or intending to build nuclear weapons.

Now you just spout off a bunch of crazy rhetoric, it wasnt the muslim nations or middle eastern nations that came into our region and just carved out a big old chunk for themselves while driving out the residents.

Israel hasnt nuked anyone, neither has Iran, BUT Israel has nuclear weapons and Iran dosent. ALSO, Iran dosent bomb the crap out its neighbors like Israel does, Iran isnt militarily occupying ANY nation or group of peoples now like both the US and Israel are doing. When was the last time Iran INVADED ANY NATION AT ALL?

We are waging aggressive wars while Isreal is committing genocide and you want to pretend we are the peaceful ones? You are such a joke who trots out the most tired, old and over-used rhetroic....so old that its been debunked already.

Iran never said a thing about wiping Israel off the map...thats been Israels propaganda statement for years and you just readily believe that Iran jumped out there to say it. His comments have been given in his language and then translated word for word including his context. He said they will disappear with the pages of time and compared them to other regimes that fell because they were unjust.

Uhm, are you living in some other universe? Israel and the US are bombing, shelling, killing etc all the time! Recently Israel CARPET BOMBED a large residential area of Lebanon. They have bombed in Syria and they are always shelling and bombing in Palestinian areas. The US is busy bombing the shit out of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as shooting and using chemical weapons like white phosphorus.

HAHAH and we use covert operations ALL THE TIME to subvert other nations govts and self determination rights. We stage coups and install dictators as a matter of POLICY.

We torture and set up secret prisons too!

And you still have the lack of intelligence to sit there and pretend we are somehow the "good guy" LOL!

do you want me to remind you who IS the only nation to USe a nuke?

Many in the world do not, righteously, trust israel NOT to use a nuke. I know I woudlnt if I were a muslim in the ME. CLEARLY Israel is willing to do whatever it takes to expand their nation and trying to put Israel on a favoured level in the nuke field pretty much validates such a concern.

Hell, dude.. like I said... if this were a MUSLM nation trying to do this it would be cause for immediate military action... but.. when jews do it...

yea.. thats not racist at all.

w-w-w-w-whats wrong zionist enablers?

why don't you come to the rescue and tell me my source is antisemitic!

SURELY, this just goes toshow how the Associated Press HATES JOOOOOS, right?

Context is everything, DO I NEED to remind you WHY the US used nukes?

As for Muslims not invading, bullshit, Israel has been under attack since it was created. And forceably invaded 4 times. No nukes been used yet, for being so untrustworthy they sure have had unusual restraint.

You two should go on the road together, your act would be hilarious.

And again, if Israel is practicing Genocide they are the 3 stooges at it.

Context is everything, DO I NEED to remind you WHY the US used nukes?

As for Muslims not invading, bullshit, Israel has been under attack since it was created. And forceably invaded 4 times. No nukes been used yet, for being so untrustworthy they sure have had unusual restraint.

You two should go on the road together, your act would be hilarious.

And again, if Israel is practicing Genocide they are the 3 stooges at it.
1. We know why the Governemnt SAID they used the nukes, and I bought it originally---untill the stories came out that the Japs were already negotiating a surrender. Further, If it were REALLY necessary, it could have been done in a far less populated area.

2. The muslims were attempting to retaliate for the invasion and iccupation by Israel. If they had used nukes, the better part of the whole world would have been destroyed. It would have been very unwise. (I think Iran realizes that also)

3. The truth is not usually funny. and genocide can happen in slow motion, and still attain the overall desired results.

When your country is facing daily terrorist attacks, and is constantly under threat of a SECOND genocide, then you can tell them not to be exempt from nukes

In other words, I believe israel has the right and obligation to do whatever is neccesary to defend themselves, including getting an exemption.

1. We know why the Governemnt SAID they used the nukes, and I bought it originally---untill the stories came out that the Japs were already negotiating a surrender. Further, If it were REALLY necessary, it could have been done in a far less populated area.

2. The muslims were attempting to retaliate for the invasion and iccupation by Israel. If they had used nukes, the better part of the whole world would have been destroyed. It would have been very unwise. (I think Iran realizes that also)

3. The truth is not usually funny. and genocide can happen in slow motion, and still attain the overall desired results.

We have already been down memory lane. I listed a whole list of source documents that totally destroy the bullshit claim that the US had any reason to believe Japan was going to surrender. Further even after the Emperor ordered it done the Army tried to stop him.

NO ONE in the Japanese Government was talking to the US. The Military, Army in particular RAN the Government of Japan and HAD NO INTENTION of surrrendering even AFTER two nuclear attacks.

It is revisionist history to claim otherwise. There is NOT ONE shred of evidence that the US had ANY reason to suspect Japan would surrender when they dropped the bombs. NOT ONE.

What the US DID have was the evidence of Saipan and Okinawa as to what would happen to Japanese Civilians in an invasion. MASS suicide. They had the evidence of almost 4 years of fighting to convince them the Japanerse military would not quit. Choosing death to surrender in every case, what few prisoners they had managed to take were Korean Laborers and Japanese soldiers knocked unconscious or to wounded to kill themselves.

The projected losses in the invasion force was 1 MILLION troops. There was a real chance that an invasion would have wiped out the Japanese RACE. You are aware that the plan in case of Invasion was to have human wave attacks by civilians armed with bamboo stakes and spears? What do you think the casualties would have been of bamboo stake armed civilians charging machine guns?

Years AFTER the war using captured documents and interviews from Japanese officials that surrendered we learned that there was an attempt ( that failed) by a small faction in the Japanese Government to convince the Soviets to talk to us and get us to accept something other than unconditional surrender. That is where the bogus claim comes that the Japanese were ready to surrender.

I suggest you dig your head out of your ASS and research the bullshit claims. The US Government has source documents from Japan that spell out the fact that there was no effort by Japan to surrender, after 2 atomic bombs and a Soviet Invasion, the Emperor intervened and ordered the surrender and the ARMY attempted a coup to stop him from doing that.

When your country is facing daily terrorist attacks, and is constantly under threat of a SECOND genocide, then you can tell them not to be exempt from nukes

In other words, I believe israel has the right and obligation to do whatever is neccesary to defend themselves, including getting an exemption.

Bullshit, there is no threat of a second genocide, they are the ONES committing genocide. They continue to expand settlements, steal more water, bulldoze homes etc. Its palestinians who live under occupation and are constantly attacked. Its not Israelis who live under curfews or are stuck for days because "jew only" roads wont allow them to pass.

If they are really so fearful in the region...why not make their homeland by cutting out a slice of Germany...the were the ones committing the crimes. OR, since America is sooo supportive then how bout instead of billions and billions of dollars every year we just carve out a slice of the US to hand over to them. I am sure we can use our billions to aid that cause instead...then everyone can be happy right?

I mean if we are REALLY committed to the zionist dream of a homeland....why not REALLY give it to them and REALLY commit ourselves by giving up some of our own land then? If we believe its ok to remove people from their homes to make room for it, then why not put our money where our mouth is and be the ones to remove OURSELVES from our own homes to give to them?

We have already been down memory lane. I listed a whole list of source documents that totally destroy the bullshit claim that the US had any reason to believe Japan was going to surrender. Further even after the Emperor ordered it done the Army tried to stop him.

NO ONE in the Japanese Government was talking to the US. The Military, Army in particular RAN the Government of Japan and HAD NO INTENTION of surrrendering even AFTER two nuclear attacks.

It is revisionist history to claim otherwise. There is NOT ONE shred of evidence that the US had ANY reason to suspect Japan would surrender when they dropped the bombs. NOT ONE.

What the US DID have was the evidence of Saipan and Okinawa as to what would happen to Japanese Civilians in an invasion. MASS suicide. They had the evidence of almost 4 years of fighting to convince them the Japanerse military would not quit. Choosing death to surrender in every case, what few prisoners they had managed to take were Korean Laborers and Japanese soldiers knocked unconscious or to wounded to kill themselves.

The projected losses in the invasion force was 1 MILLION troops. There was a real chance that an invasion would have wiped out the Japanese RACE. You are aware that the plan in case of Invasion was to have human wave attacks by civilians armed with bamboo stakes and spears? What do you think the casualties would have been of bamboo stake armed civilians charging machine guns?

Years AFTER the war using captured documents and interviews from Japanese officials that surrendered we learned that there was an attempt ( that failed) by a small faction in the Japanese Government to convince the Soviets to talk to us and get us to accept something other than unconditional surrender. That is where the bogus claim comes that the Japanese were ready to surrender.

I suggest you dig your head out of your ASS and research the bullshit claims. The US Government has source documents from Japan that spell out the fact that there was no effort by Japan to surrender, after 2 atomic bombs and a Soviet Invasion, the Emperor intervened and ordered the surrender and the ARMY attempted a coup to stop him from doing that.

It is you who should remove your head from your ass.

http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/59182/?comments=view&cID=711157&pID=710654

The subsequent release of formerly secret documents makes a hash of Truman's rationalization. His White House was fully informed that the Japanese were on the verge of collapse, and their surrender was made all the more likely by the Soviets' imminent entry into the fight.

At most, the Japanese were asking for the face-saving gesture of retaining their emperor, and even that modest demand would likely have been abandoned with the shift of massive numbers of Allied troops and firepower from the battlefront of a defeated Germany to a confrontation with its deeply wounded Asian ally.

http://www.brightindia.com/book.html

The Japanese Government in 1945 was on its last legs. The United States had all the evidence to prove it. It had intercepted a message from Japanese Foreign Minister Togo to Japanese Ambassador in Moscow, Stato,which said that "His Majesty, the Emperor, mindful of the fact that the present war daily brings greater evil and sacrifice upon the peoples of all belligerent powers, desires from his heart that it may be quickly terminated". There could have been no doubt that Japan was ready to surrender. It was a question of days. Japan was desperately trying to get the Soviet Union to act as an intermediary. But the United States was determined to teach the Japanese people a terrible lesson. As President Truman once remarked: "When you have to deal with a beast, you have to treat him as a beast. It is most regrettable but nevertheless true." The American people were not told that the Japanese were ready to surrender. That would have made the decision to atomise the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like calculated madness. So the Americans were lied to. As Gen.George A. Lincoln wrote in a Memorandum to Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower on 2 April 1946, "the implication that the atomic bombs were dropped on a people who had already sued for peace should not be included in a paper prepared for release to the public".

Its very obvious from our own documents and communications between general and president that WE KNEW they were ready to surrender.

It is you who should remove your head from your ass.

http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/59182/?comments=view&cID=711157&pID=710654

http://www.brightindia.com/book.html

Its very obvious from our own documents and communications between general and president that WE KNEW they were ready to surrender.

Absolute horse shit. Propaganda after the fact. Even AFTER the atom bomb was dropped the Japanese tried to get us to end the war by just agreeing to leave them alone. Further there is absolutely no evidence the Army had any intention of surrendering, they opposed it in the Government even after 2 bombs, months of fire bombing and the entry of Soviets into the war.

The only reason Japan DID surrender is because the Emperor become personally involved AFTER all 3 events. Even then the Army attempted a coup to stop the Emperor from surrendering.

Your grasp of history is so lacking and full of holes as to defy logic as to how you were acreditted a teacher at all.

Remind me why the last time this horseshit was posted and I provided source documents to disprove it you went silent?
Suppose you remind us why you continue to post this crap (YOUR Horseshit.) when on another thread you have just posted information that shows the US did in deed know that Japan was ready to surrender.--- Get your stories straight.

Suppose you remind us why you continue to post this crap (YOUR Horseshit.) when on another thread you have just posted information that shows the US did in deed know that Japan was ready to surrender.--- Get your stories straight.

LOL, you can not possible be serious. Japan would only surrender if we agreed to allow them to keep everything they still had, Korea, Manchuria, Vietnam. That you are so brain dead you can look at source documents that spell out the reality and come up with this drivel tells me your lacking in reading comprehension or maybe your age has caught up to you.

Now I will agree that before we dropped the bombs and the Soviets invaded Japan offered to let us stop attacking them and let them keep everything they still had. If you call that an offer to surrender that was serious, your brain dead. Even after the first bomb was dropped they "offered" basicly the same deal. Now to that I agree, we DID know they were willing to surrender if we just let them keep everything they still had, no dismantling of military, no war crimes, no occupation, no change in Government nothing at all that we were gonna even consider.

Forum List

Back