Israel Responds By Air-120 Dead

There is no justification for intentionally killing innocent civilians.

correction: There is no justification for intentionally targeting innocent civilians. Which is what Israel's enemies do and she does NOT.

Innocent people will always get harmed or killed when one side is defending themselves. it is a sad fact of war...which is what Israel's neighbors are waging against her as she keeps demanding peace with them. Israel has NO designs on her neighbors.

correction: There is no justification for intentionally targeting innocent civilians. Which is what Israel's enemies do and she does NOT.

Innocent people will always get harmed or killed when one side is defending themselves. it is a sad fact of war...which is what Israel's neighbors are waging against her as she keeps demanding peace with them. Israel has NO designs on her neighbors.

Agreed. :clap2:

"One prominent Israeli journalist, Ofer Shelah, who was badly wounded and lost an eye when a roadside bomb exploded next to his patrol on a Lebanese highway in 1983, calls the conflict Israel's "forgotten war."

Israel invaded Lebanon in June 1982 after a Palestinian shot and wounded the Israeli ambassador in London. The goal, as presented to the government by Defense Minister Ariel Sharon, was a limited incursion into south Lebanon to drive out the Palestinian guerrillas who had established a mini-state there, carrying out gruesome cross-border attacks on civilians.

But Sharon took the military much farther, battling halfway through the country into Lebanon's capital, Beirut, and engaging the Syrian army.

Attacking and carrying out air strikes on guerrillas in heavily populated areas, Israeli forces killed nearly 20,000 people, most non-combatants, and displaced 800,000, according to Lebanon's government and international organizations. While Israeli soldiers were deployed outside the Sabra and Shatilla Palestinian refugee camps, Lebanese Christian militiamen allied with Israel entered the Beirut camps and massacred around 800 Palestinians.

Israel succeeded in driving out the Palestinian guerrillas but became embroiled in the vicious civil war under way among Lebanon's rival sects. Targeted by new enemies like the Shiite guerrillas of Hezbollah, Israel gradually pulled its forces back, but troops remained in a strip along the Israeli border until 2000. Another round of fighting two summers ago, sparked by a Hezbollah attack on an army patrol across the international boundary, lasted a month. All told, more than 1,400 Israeli soldiers have died in Lebanon.

Before the invasion, Israelis largely remembered their wars with pride: the 1948 War of Independence, the Sinai campaign of 1956, the lightning conquests of 1967 and the hard-won turnaround victory of 1973.

"In Lebanon, for the first time, we were a hard-luck army, being shot at from all sides and not knowing by whom," Shelah said. And as the occupation dragged on, it turned out to be the first war that did not enjoy wall-to-wall support, instead becoming the subject of bitter recriminations while it was going on.

"The Lebanon war included many things people don't want to deal with. It's easier to remember victories and repress what happened there," he said."

cont. @ An animated movie dredges up memories of Israel's 'forgotten' war - News

Last edited:
"One prominent Israeli journalist, Ofer Shelah, who was badly wounded and lost an eye when a roadside bomb exploded next to his patrol on a Lebanese highway in 1983, calls the conflict Israel's "forgotten war."

Israel invaded Lebanon in June 1982 after a Palestinian shot and wounded the Israeli ambassador in London. The goal, as presented to the government by Defense Minister Ariel Sharon, was a limited incursion into south Lebanon to drive out the Palestinian guerrillas who had established a mini-state there, carrying out gruesome cross-border attacks on civilians.

But Sharon took the military much farther, battling halfway through the country into Lebanon's capital, Beirut, and engaging the Syrian army.

Attacking and carrying out air strikes on guerrillas in heavily populated areas, Israeli forces killed nearly 20,000 people, most non-combatants, and displaced 800,000, according to Lebanon's government and international organizations. While Israeli soldiers were deployed outside the Sabra and Shatilla Palestinian refugee camps, Lebanese Christian militiamen allied with Israel entered the Beirut camps and massacred around 800 Palestinians.

Israel succeeded in driving out the Palestinian guerrillas but became embroiled in the vicious civil war under way among Lebanon's rival sects. Targeted by new enemies like the Shiite guerrillas of Hezbollah, Israel gradually pulled its forces back, but troops remained in a strip along the Israeli border until 2000. Another round of fighting two summers ago, sparked by a Hezbollah attack on an army patrol across the international boundary, lasted a month. All told, more than 1,400 Israeli soldiers have died in Lebanon.

Before the invasion, Israelis largely remembered their wars with pride: the 1948 War of Independence, the Sinai campaign of 1956, the lightning conquests of 1967 and the hard-won turnaround victory of 1973.

"In Lebanon, for the first time, we were a hard-luck army, being shot at from all sides and not knowing by whom," Shelah said. And as the occupation dragged on, it turned out to be the first war that did not enjoy wall-to-wall support, instead becoming the subject of bitter recriminations while it was going on.

"The Lebanon war included many things people don't want to deal with. It's easier to remember victories and repress what happened there," he said."

cont. @ An animated movie dredges up memories of Israel's 'forgotten' war - News

thank you for fixing the quote thingie...

gotcha!

There is no justification for intentionally killing innocent civilians.
here is what I wrote:

Lebanon for them back then is like Iraq for us now. I supported each entry and opposed both occupations.

Sharon was a great man with flaws.

thank you for fixing the quote thingie...

gotcha!

Lebanon for them back then is like Iraq for us now. I supported each entry and opposed both occupations.

Sharon was a great man with flaws.

I would agree that targeting civilians was one of them.

btw, when I made that last comment to you I had forgotten you were the doosh that neg rep-ed me over some stupid thing.

watch your back.

:eek:
if you dont even remember what it was, then how can you say it was stupid?
:lol:

I would agree that targeting civilians was one of them.
Israel's invasion of Lebanon did NOT involve Israel or Sharon purposefully targeting innocent civilians. The PLO hid among the civilian population and damage presented by the civilian population being there was minimized as much as possible given the objective of the incursion.

it is difficult to parse but civilians being in the way of targets is a dirty part of war. to target civilians is not what Israel did and you know that. they targeted things and murderers among the civilian population. horrible consequences for defending Israel, but necessary in my not so humble opinion.

Israel's invasion of Lebanon did NOT involve Israel or Sharon purposefully targeting innocent civilians. The PLO hid among the civilian population and damage presented by the civilian population being there was minimized as much as possible given the objective of the incursion.

it is difficult to parse but civilians being in the way of targets is a dirty part of war. to target civilians is not what Israel did and you know that. they targeted things and murderers among the civilian population. horrible consequences for defending Israel, but necessary in my not so humble opinion.
Hamas and Hebollah purposefully have civilians where they set up to attack Israel, hoping for higher civilian casualties to use as propaganda against Israel

On every board?

I will take you on your word an offer up a true apology.

I apologize.

signed
ME

---we do have something ion common after all. we are both named ME. how weird is that?
well, you DO have a sense of humor, i may have to readdress my earlier impression of you

Is the "you know that" tactic an off shoot of the "we tactic"?

Your opinion is never humble. IMWO

Way too many civilians were killed in that war to justify using the "mistakes were made" defense. I think the Israeli government did indeed get information indicating that they were targeting mostly civiians, that they knew most of the combattents had left the camps and that they had time to cancel the plans to attack. But they chose not to. :(

Hamas and Hebollah purposefully have civilians where they set up to attack Israel, hoping for higher civilian casualties to use as propaganda against Israel

Coming from Boston (college town) I read a red manifesto as a kid as did most every kid who was percocious and surrounded by academia. I think it was MAO's little red book that laid it all out like that. Bring about repression as a way of recruiting to the cause. Fuck the civilians and full sail ahead.

Forum List

Back