Israel Responding To Hizbollah Attacks From Lebanon

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4563372.stm
Israeli planes attack in Lebanon
Israeli warplanes have bombed what the army says is a Palestinian militant base in Lebanon hours after rocket attacks on two Israeli border towns.

They struck at a target south of the capital, Beirut, which was described as a base of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

There was no immediate information on casualties or damage.

"This is in response to the firing of projectile rockets last night toward Israeli communities," the army said.

At least four rockets fired from Lebanese territory hit Israeli towns close to the border on Tuesday evening without causing casualties.

Three of the Katyusha rockets slammed into Kiryat Shmona, directly hitting one house and knocking out electricity, while a fourth hit the town of Shlomi.

Israeli army sources blamed Lebanon's Hezbollah group but there was no confirmation from the militants.

The border zone has been tense since Israel left south Lebanon in 2000.

Militant denials

Israeli television showed the remains of what appeared to be a Katyusha rocket in Kiryat Shmona along with holes in the ground and in the side of a house.

Three houses in all were damaged and three people were treated for shock but the only injury caused was to a dog, Israel's Haaretz newspaper reports.

Residents were temporarily ordered into shelters and the electricity was out for half an hour.

The site of the single rocket impact in Shlomi was still being investigated.

At least seven rockets were launched from Lebanese territory, Lebanese police were quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

Two were fired from the western sector, 20km (12 miles) south-east of Tyre, and five others from the eastern sector on Aadaysse hill, they added.

A Hezbollah spokesman told the agency he knew nothing of the attacks while a Palestinian Fatah movement official in Lebanon, Sultan Abu Aynaeyn, strongly denied any involvement by Palestinians.

GunnyL said:
You'd think somebody'd get smart by now. I mean, how many decades in a row can you get your butt whipped before it dawns on you that you're obviously not a match for your chosen enemy?

One would think, but heh! These brilliant terrorists kidnap foreigners just to prove how impotent their president is. :dunno: Not the sharpest knives...

Kathianne said:
One would think, but heh! These brilliant terrorists kidnap foreigners just to prove how impotent their president is. :dunno: Not the sharpest knives...

I was thinking about the Israelis. Our responses are weak compared to theirs. They don't screw around, and I have always admired them for that.

They apparently haven't yet lost sight of who the bad guys are.

GunnyL said:
I was thinking about the Israelis. Our responses are weak compared to theirs. They don't screw around, and I have always admired them for that.

They apparently haven't yet lost sight of who the bad guys are.
Me thinks they are also warning Lebanon about playing middleman with Iran...

Kathianne said:
Me thinks they are also warning Lebanon about playing middleman with Iran...

Seems to me last time Lebanon stuck their nose in they lost their soveignty to Syria and Israel occupied much of Southern Lebanon for a few years. Like I said, you figured they get a clue .... :smoke:

Forum List

Back