Israel & Palestine & The Bible

Have you seriously read the site and understood the potential question isn't what you may think?

Have you seriously read the site and understood the potential question isn't what you may think?

So, twat, you are unable to locate even one reference to "Palestine" in the Tanakh. I didn't you could, thus, I'm not disappointed, twat. :lol:

Now, walk away, twat :clap2:

OMGorsh! You insufferable jackass! You think you have a functioning mind within your boastful brain? Figure it out for yourself because you are not asking to find out... that is obvious by your return. I am not giving in on this one. Posters share fair enough exchanges and grounds can be gained.... Posters who resort to frustrated belittling share frustration and ignorant idiocies.

OMGorsh! You insufferable jackass! You think you have a functioning mind within your boastful brain? Figure it out for yourself because you are not asking to find out... that is obvious by your return. I am not giving in on this one. Posters share fair enough exchanges and grounds can be gained.... Posters who resort to frustrated belittling share frustration and ignorant idiocies.

Sucks being you, eh, dumb twat? Try not to post while PMS'ing.

I don't need PMSing when I deal with educated arrogancy of wannabes. AND you neg repped me?? For INSULTING you? AFTER your baffling slander toward so many other posters, already?

You really are at a loss for worthy posting material, aye?

I don't need PMSing when I deal with educated arrogancy of wannabes. AND you neg repped me?? For INSULTING you? AFTER your baffling slander toward so many other posters, already?

You were unable to cite even one mention of "Palestine" in the Hebrew Bible. Accept defeat graciously and walk away, twat.

How about you re-examine what you are trying to accomplish.

You seem to happy to focus on me instead of the subject at hand.

Are you attempting to prove a point?

Is the likelihood that Jesus' lineage was Palestinian something that would make a difference to most Christian's faith?

Is the argument that many believe he would stand for the Palestinian state one that you were hinting at?

Or were you merely attempting to completely discredit 'me' as a poster?

AND for the record, the site I posted for your benefit also was detailed enough to help you better understand that the root writings from which the biblical books originated from has BOTH Hebrew and Palestinian history.

We claim our bible to be Hebrew but that could very well be debated by Historians who knew what to uncover and to whom to uncover it to.

There is always someone running amuck, it seems. I suppose it might as well be you.

AND for the record, the site I posted for your benefit also was detailed enough to help you better understand that the root writings from which the biblical books originated from has BOTH Hebrew and Palestinian history.

We claim our bible to be Hebrew but that could very well be debated by Historians who knew what to uncover and to whom to uncover it to.

There is always someone running amuck, it seems. I suppose it might as well be you.

Your bullshit is meaningless. There is no Palestine in the Hebrew Bible nor in the New Testament. Walk away.

Your link doesn't work for me imelissa. However in putting in roots Palestine, I came up with this.

Jonathan Scott: One of the main points of your book is that the blueprint for Israel’s conquest of Palestine and its oppression of the Palestinians is the Old Testament Bible. In Western secular society many will surely disagree, and yet you spend a good part of the book explaining the nature of this relationship.

Basem Ra’ad: Because many people in the West still cannot see the uses the West has made of that same Old Testament model and how invested it is in the recent progress of Western civilization and the colonizing projects that have benefited the West, especially the US. I explain in detail how Western civilization, a fairly recent construct, includes not only ownership of ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, but also the Bible and the models in it. Zionism has been exploiting this construct, first in getting the West to support it, whether through [British Lord] Balfour’s promise in 1917 or US support in 1947 and later, or in its propaganda and other implementations.

Of course, decolonization in the Third World has occurred and people are aware of that, but in Palestine colonization has deepened and Westerners have a blind spot and don’t see it as colonization. Often even the most liberal, unconsciously or even consciously, consider the Judeo-Christian model as part of their “tradition.” Despite all the archaeological findings and other evidence that negate the Bible’s historicity, the public mind still accepts the Bible as history, which gives uncanny legitimacy to a great injustice.

In a way, the “Judeo-Christian” compound has a contradiction built into it. Christ represents values that are opposed to hatred, oppression and disregard for the rights of others, and many Western thinkers have recognized that. But many preachers and followers still romanticize violence and racism in the Old Testament: the Canaanites are evil pagans whose lands and properties are free for the taking, as sanctioned by Yahweh; David is a hero; the Philistines are crude. So are the Babylonians and even the Egyptians, according to this perception. Ismail (Ishmael) is made into an unsavory person. All these ancient biases are solidified and, as many Hollywood films demonstrate, collapsed onto the present “Arab” region. Often they have been transferred to other locations, so that the “Indians” were “Philistines” and enslaved black people were thought of as “Canaanites.”

JS: You show that recovering the Palestinians’ ancient past is a task inseparable from the Palestinian anti-colonial national liberation struggle, but at the same time you’re suspicious of nationalist conceptions of Palestinian history. How do you reconcile the two?

BR: It’s a dilemma, really. Palestinians were living with their culture and identity in a natural and less conscious manner, until the Zionist incursion. The irony, as I point out, is that an obsessed and invented sense of identity as brought in by the Zionists can surprise and overcome an unwary people, as happened in other colonizing situations in the past. So the key now is not to imitate that fabricated identity or simply respond to it. To go for an “Arab” or Muslim identity is in many ways to fall into Zionist traps. In my opinion, it’s too late now to advocate a universal sense of identity for Palestinians, which they lived in before 1948, since that would end the struggle for their rights, and it is too dangerous to affirm the sort of identity that keeps self-colonizing trends operating and accepts the status quo of a Palestine reduced to Gaza and the West Bank. It would be a tragedy if “peace” were achieved without rectifying all the historical and cultural injustices and exposing the deceptions. That would normalize the abnormal. It is necessary, therefore, to work toward nourishing a regional and cultural consciousness that recognizes and incorporates the depth of Palestinian and regional history and culture.

JS: A new line of scholarship in Israel, represented best by Meron Benvenisti’s Sacred Landscape and Shlomo Sand’s The Invention of the Jewish People, argues that the State of Israel’s claim of Jewish nativity in Palestine is ideological, with no basis at all in the scientific literature or the historical record of the region. How does your work compare to theirs?

BR: I’m not sure that that is what Benvenisti says, I mean about the issue of Zionist inventions of Palestinian history. Certainly Benvenisti is good on recording Zionist Judaization of the Palestinian map and the insidious manipulation of Palestinian names by translating them from Arabic to Hebrew, but as I show in Chapter 10 of my book, it is possible to fall into the trap of Zionist theories this way. For example, Benvenisti, despite his appreciation of the injustice done to the Palestinians, still works within Zionist and Western theorizations about ancient languages. I show something different. Shlomo Sand brings together a lot of previously documented but little publicized facts about how it is impossible to consider Jews “a people,” and how Zionism has exploited the myths about “Diaspora” and “exile” and so on, which are unsustainable in historical terms. I think it is useful to use such writers, whether they are writing in the West or in Israel. But what I’m urging is the development of a regional and Palestinian history.

JS: There is a tragic dimension to your work, what you call “Palestinian self-colonization,” yet you have some optimism about being able to reverse it.

BR: Self-colonization is more dangerous than colonization itself, when one accepts or believes what the colonizer wants and what works against one’s national and existential interests. I give many examples of that phenomenon. Any optimism I have about reversing it depends on some intellectual leadership and the possibility of affecting the educational system and the minds of future generations. Unfortunately, religious thinking in our case tends to complement other self-colonizing traps, and that’s more difficult to deal with than cultural or historical preconceptions. I believe working toward a regional cultural identity can help to overcome self-colonization, but ideological and national systems on both sides tend to resist that. And this self-colonization becomes more drastic because of the relative success of Zionism in appropriating the ancient past, exploiting the religious tradition, and adding and formalizing even more falsifications.

JS: What’s the worst falsification?

BR: That’s pretty easy: the replacement of a genuine history of the people with religious narratives that pretend to be history. The most basic falsification is that the Palestinians that exist on the land are “Arabs,” with the emphasis on a meaning of “Arab” determined by various western biasing factors that give the impression of them as nomadic or as descendants from the Muslim conquest in the 7th century CE. This is the cornerstone of the Zionist claim system, which then gives present “Jews,” who are confused with ancient “Hebrews,” “Israelites” and ancient Jews, prior possession. It is also one of the self-colonizing elements in the thinking of some Palestinians and Arabs. One needs to dismantle the myth of this Zionist claim system, and affirm the continuity of the population over millennia and their farming-village character regardless of the shifts in religious affiliation. I provide evidence of that, which by the way is a conclusion that even early Zionist writers, and even the most biased travelers, confirm, directly or indirectly.

Full interview Palestinian roots of Western civilization: an interview with Basem Ra'ad | The Electronic Intifada

Last edited:

I agree, the pretentiousness of bullies can be quite amazing 1melissa3.

The thing is... Some of us are only given 'so much'.... To acknowledge the depths represented in our bible, to watch the movements of heads and of land-dwellers and yet still be bound by a secrecy so thick that writing by candlelight would be revealing.... is to acknowledge the supernatural. And though many boast to be spiritual, they will deny this.

^ Oh I disagree with much of what you say 1melissa3. Don't think I am agreeing with you and disagreeing with JStone.

I am disagreeing with JStone's bullying of you...

:lol: I don't want people to necessarily agree with what I post, I usually only mean to provoke thought and rarely EVER pass personal opinions... :tongue:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
:lol: I don't want people to necessarily agree with what I post, I usually only mean to provoke thought and rarely EVER pass personal opinions... :tongue:

Still unable to cite "Palestine" in the Hebrew Bible or Christian Bible. Tsk tsk :lol:

Keep looking, beotch :clap2:

You are still posting like an insufferable jackass. :eusa_whistle: I would not dare to knowingly butt heads with his*stories finest.

You are still posting like an insufferable jackass. :eusa_whistle: I would not dare to knowingly butt heads with his*stories finest.

You couldn't find even one reference to Palestine in the Hebrew Bible nor the Christian Bible :lol:

Who's the jackass, after all, twat? Congratulations. :clap2:

He's pretty insufferable.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

He's pretty insufferable.

Sucks being you and having been proven a pathological liar, eh? :clap2:

New Topics

Forum List

Back