Israel & Palestine & The Bible

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
Historian John Morris Roberts
For many people during many centuries, mankind's history before the coming of Christianity was the history of the Jews and what they recounted of the history of others. Both were written down in the books called the Old Testament, the sacred writing of the Jewish people. They were the first to arrive at an abstract notion of God and to forbid his representation by images. No other peope has produced a greater historical impact from such comparatively insignificant origins and resources.

Historian Bernard Lewis...
It is by now commonplace that the civilizations of the Middle East are oldest known to human history. They go back thousands of years, much older than the civilizations of India and China, not to speak of other upstart places. It is also interesting, though now often forgotten, that the ancient civilizations of the Middle East were almost totally obliterated and forgotten by their own people as well as by others. Their monuments were defaced or destroyed, their languages forgotten, their scripts forgotten, their history forgotten and even their identities forgotten. All that was known about them came from one single source, and that is Israel, the only component of the ancient Middle East to have retained their identity, their memory, their language and their books. For a very long time, up to comparatively modern times, with rare exceptions all that was known about the ancient Middle East--the Babylonians, the Egyptians and the rest--was what the Jewish tradiiton has preserved.

Number of times "Palestine" and "Palestinians" appear in the Bible [OT & NT]: Zero
Number of times Israel and Israelites appear in the Bible: 2000+

Um, what?

I'm obviously not a historian but Palestina is in Exodus and Isaiah. In Joel, it is specifically Palestine.

As for the new testament... The land... :dunno:

• Banned
Um, what?

I'm obviously not a historian but Palestina is in Exodus and Isaiah. In Joel, it is specifically Palestine.

As for the new testament... The land... :dunno:

Not. Bible references Peleshet, translated as Philistia, land of the Philistines, not Palestine

Last edited:
Do I need to scan the pages for you? Seriously?

What bible are you referencing? Perhaps that is the dividing factor between us.

• Banned
Do I need to scan the pages for you? Seriously?

What bible are you referencing? Perhaps that is the dividing factor between us.

Hebrew Bible Psalm 60:8: Mo'av is my washpot; on Edom I throw my shoe; P'leshet, be crushed because of me!"
Psalm 60:8 "Moav is my washpot; on Edom I throw my shoe; Pleshet, be..." CJB - Online Bible Study

Every version of the Bible translates Peleshet to Philistia
Psalm 60:8 Moab is my washbasin, upon Edom I toss my sandal; over Philistia I shout in triumph."

I apologize, JStone, but you are mistaken.

I will leave you to your own research, however. May it be to your benefit.

I'm not going to criticize your choice of belief or of reading material, I obviously do not share either at this point and likely won't in the near future.

Perhaps read more, even online there are bibles printed with the word Palestine in the old testament. I will not quote the scripture for you, find it for yourself. When I quote scripture I do it for me and my own growth/depths. I will not do so to criticize or point out another's flaws, especially one that is obviously looking for such to be done.

I won't battle bibles, either. I know and love the one I have and it is a treasure to me for many reasons, most unmentionable. Perhaps you have found one, as well, that you will come to invest in as I have mine.

• Banned
I'm not going to criticize your choice of belief or of reading material, I obviously do not share either at this point and likely won't in the near future.

Perhaps read more, even online there are bibles printed with the word Palestine in the old testament. I will not quote the scripture for you, find it for yourself. When I quote scripture I do it for me and my own growth/depths. I will not do so to criticize or point out another's flaws, especially one that is obviously looking for such to be done.

I won't battle bibles, either. I know and love the one I have and it is a treasure to me for many reasons, most unmentionable. Perhaps you have found one, as well, that you will come to invest in as I have mine.

Palestine does not appear in the Old Testament. Palestine does not appear in the New Testament.

Israel appears 2000 times in the Old Testament and New Testament.

Well, okay.... continue to state such... get loud and more bold if you need to. I hope you come to find security within your own thoughts because, as is mine, they are necessarily flawed.

Well, okay.... continue to state such... get loud and more bold if you need to. I hope you come to find security within your own thoughts because, as is mine, they are necessarily flawed.

Facts are inconvenient, yes?

Facts? You quoted one scripture from two sources and you boast facts? I was taught better biblical etiquette than to slur and sling scripture. I leave that to men who are supposed to be our heads........... :eusa_whistle:

Facts? You quoted one scripture from two sources and you boast facts? I was taught better biblical etiquette than to slur and sling scripture. I leave that to men who are supposed to be our heads........... :eusa_whistle:

Can you show us where Palestine appears in the Tanakh? No, I didn't think so

Last edited:
What are you up to? The Old Testament, the First Covenant, the Holy Scriptures, the Torah-TANAKH.... Are not really what you are attempting to disarm, are they? I am not a stranger, I am merely uncommon.

In meeting you on basic terms, there is this: Palestine is not nonexistent in the Old Testament, but there are some major shifts and such that take place. Developmental stages are forever obvious within every nation, however, and to dispute and/or discredit specific names/labels may be more limiting than necessary for ultimate understanding.

What are you up to? The Old Testament, the First Covenant, the Holy Scriptures, the Torah-TANAKH.... Are not really what you are attempting to disarm, are they? I am not a stranger, I am merely uncommon.

Where is Palestine in the JPS Tanakh, the standard? Where is Palestine in the New Testament?

Thank you for that link, and I give you this one: Roots.

From your link...
The Masoretic Text (MT) is the Hebrew text of the Tanakh approved for general use in Judaism. It is also widely used in translations of the Old Testament of the Bible. It was primarily compiled, edited and distributed by a group of Jews known as the Masoretes between the seventh and tenth centuries CE, though the consonants differ little from the text generally accepted in the early second century. It has numerous differences when compared to other early sources such as the Septuagint, of both little and great significance.

FYI, "Palestine" is not found in the Septuagint. The Septuagint references "Phylistine," Greek for the Philistines and Philistia, as in the Hebrew Bible.

New Topics

Forum List

Back