Israel and judaism

Joe_Penalty

Truth, Justice, Equality
May 15, 2009
School of Critical Thinking
From what I have observed, there is a big misconception on this message board. The misconception is a sad one.

First of all, it is foolish to equate Judaism with Israel.

Judaism is a practice.

There are many who claim they are Jews, but they are not.

There are many who claim they are Christians, but they are not.

There are many who claim they are Muslims, but they are not.

You can tell a Jew by his works.

All of these practices have one thing is common; that is righteousness.

The killing of innocence is definitely unrighteous. The killing of innocence is the work of
evil. Therefore, Israel does not represent Judaism.

Hey I get it, this is like when some people try to judge who is or is not a "real" Christian. We're just expanding that to Judaism for some reason.

Hey I get it, this is like when some people try to judge who is or is not a "real" Christian. We're just expanding that to Judaism for some reason.

Could you please elaborate?

Yep, if someone identifies as a Christian, Muslim, Jew... that's good enough for me. It's between them and God whether it's true or not, and frankly none of my business. I'm a Catholic so my personal belief is that all protestants are going to hell... but I'm not out there on the street corner shouting fire and brimstone like I saw some whacked out evangelicals doing last weekend.

Yep, if someone identifies as a Christian, Muslim, Jew... that's good enough for me. It's between them and God whether it's true or not, and frankly none of my business. I'm a Catholic so my personal belief is that all protestants are going to hell... but I'm not out there on the street corner shouting fire and brimstone like I saw some whacked out evangelicals doing last weekend.

Righteousness is the crux. What does righteousness account for in your religious practice?

Righteousness is the crux. What does righteousness account for in your religious practice?

Righteousness is a pathetic excuse to stand in judgment of your fellow man. I prefer the lesson Jesus taught us when he said, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

I prefer the lesson Jesus taught us when he said, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Too bad he didn't actually say that, of course, since John 7:53-8:11 is a fourth-century scribal addition not present in Codices Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, the oldest and most reliable manuscripts.

Righteousness is a pathetic excuse to stand in judgment of your fellow man. I prefer the lesson Jesus taught us when he said, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Righteousness is what is done right in the eyes of god. How can that be pathetic?

I prefer the lesson Jesus taught us when he said, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Too bad he didn't actually say that, of course, since John 7:53-8:11 is a fourth-century scribal addition not present in Codices Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, the oldest and most reliable manuscripts.
Well whoever said it or added it knew what they were talking about. We're all in this together and we've all done at least a few things we're not proud of, it's better to cut our fellow man some slack once in a while than to obsess over every misdeed.

Well whoever said it or added it knew what they were talking about. We're all in this together and we've all done at least a few things we're not proud of, it's better to cut our fellow man some slack once in a while than to obsess over every misdeed.

It's not a major independent scriptural doctrine, at any rate. You could probably incorporate the same lesson from the advisement to "look at the plank in your own eye before examining the speck in your brother's eye."

What is your position?

Wtf does "You can tell a Jew by his works" mean?

It means a person cannot simply claim they are Jew. But you have to be righteous in your doing. Thus, practicing Judaism.

Completely incorrect. Once a Jew, always a Jew. There are absolutely no requirements for being a Jew except for either being born from a Jewish mother or converting to Judaism. That's it. Whether you practice or not, whether you've converted to another religion or not - you're still and always will be Jewish.

Additionally, there is no "hell" in Judaism. Hashem loves his children equally. There are no after life consequences of sin in this life. The entire purpose of being a Jew is to improve and focus on THIS LIFE and let Hashem worry about what happens to you in the next life. This is why I love Judaism so much - because it is the ONLY religion that cares about this life and this world and how to improve it.

Last edited:

People have no idea how badly their "New Testament" was re-written with the New King James version.

People have no idea how badly their "New Testament" was re-written with the New King James version.

That wasn't even specifically what I was referring to, though it is a component of the overall corruption of the New Testament. But it's of course a reality that the Old Testament has also been corrupted by poor preservation. For instance, you might find it troublesome to decipher 1 Samuel 13:1.

Forum List

Back