Isn't Congress a Full Partner With the President?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
I have to admit, on one hand it's fun watching the GOP stumble around like an obese drunken Southerner wondering what the hell happened to their momentum. They had 8 years to devise a plan better than Obamacare and they came up empty this past week. Lotsa fun.

What isn't fun is that The Speaker of the House is not much but he's the only Speaker we've got. I heard that Trump wants to move on to tax reform. Fine. Why does the House have to move away from fixing the ACA, scrapping the ACA, or whatever it plans to do with the ACA?

The Congress of the US, as I understand it, has a responsibility not to be a rubber stamp for the President but to act in the best interest of their constituents. If the House thinks the nation is ready to go back to a 2007 health care atmosphere, scrap the whole thing and let the chips fall where they may. I would not be too surprised if they actually got some Democratic votes along the way. The Democratic Party has no leadership and what leaders are there are closer to the coffin than the cradle. You may find some independent thinkers there. If the Congress thinks that there should be some changes, make the changes; send it to the Senate.

I do not get why Ryan--who was elected with 90+% in his district gives 2 shits what Trump thinks in this case. His political goose is getting cooked too. What happens if the GOP can't ram through this tax cut while increasing spending???? Two defeats from your own caucus?

Repeal and replace Ryan. Ryan is total fail. Just look at his record in the House. Obamacare represents Obama, no democrat will ever vote to repeal it. They "rubber stamped" it for the Kenyan after all. Try to use rational thought for a change when thinking about politics!

Repeal and replace Ryan. Ryan is total fail. Just look at his record in the House. Obamacare represents Obama, no democrat will ever vote to repeal it. They "rubber stamped" it for the Kenyan after all. Try to use rational thought for a change when thinking about politics!

Who ya gonna replace him with; nimrod McCarthy again maybe to embarrass himself and the party? :badgrin: :blahblah: :blowup:

Easter_Chicken_in_Egg_Transparent_PNG_Clipart_zpsggtzyh1n.png

Isn't Congress a Full Partner With the President?

What? No. Congress was created as an existential check on the power of the Presidency and its exercise. The last thing the framers wanted was a parliamentary system, which is essentially what we'd have if Congress were to conduct itself as a partner rather than as an adversary. One can debate the pros and cons of adversarial republics and parliamentary ones, but the former is what we have and what the Founders intended. Has the time come for that to change? Maybe so; maybe not.

I have to admit, on one hand it's fun watching the GOP stumble around like an obese drunken Southerner wondering what the hell happened to their momentum. They had 8 years to devise a plan better than Obamacare and they came up empty this past week. Lotsa fun.

What isn't fun is that The Speaker of the House is not much but he's the only Speaker we've got. I heard that Trump wants to move on to tax reform. Fine. Why does the House have to move away from fixing the ACA, scrapping the ACA, or whatever it plans to do with the ACA?

The Congress of the US, as I understand it, has a responsibility not to be a rubber stamp for the President but to act in the best interest of their constituents. If the House thinks the nation is ready to go back to a 2007 health care atmosphere, scrap the whole thing and let the chips fall where they may. I would not be too surprised if they actually got some Democratic votes along the way. The Democratic Party has no leadership and what leaders are there are closer to the coffin than the cradle. You may find some independent thinkers there. If the Congress thinks that there should be some changes, make the changes; send it to the Senate.

I do not get why Ryan--who was elected with 90+% in his district gives 2 shits what Trump thinks in this case. His political goose is getting cooked too. What happens if the GOP can't ram through this tax cut while increasing spending???? Two defeats from your own caucus?
PBS News Hour's Mark Shields and David Brooks pretty much castigated / castrated Ryan on Friday evening.

Ryan is hopeless and useless.

Time for him to go.

Who ya gonna replace him with; nimrod McCarthy again maybe to embarrass himself and the party? :badgrin: :blahblah: :blowup:

Easter_Chicken_in_Egg_Transparent_PNG_Clipart_zpsggtzyh1n.png
Who is next in line ??

Any moron would be better than the moron Ryan.

Ryan is fokking up either (1) on purpose to torpedo Trump or (2) due to ineptitude.

Mark Shields and David Brooks think he is inept.

I can't tell.

Look now, a hell of a lot of people supported Ryan as speaker of the house because it was the only way in hell to get rid of him. It was a guaranteed short lived job. Nobody liked the guy back then and no one likes the guy now.

Where was this demand by the left for bipartisanship, during Obama's reign?

It is amazing how hypocritical some on the left are, and they don't even know it.

I wonder if the OP knows Obamacare passed without ONE R vote...and that Obama had to bride a few D senators, to get it passed.

Forum List

Back