Islamists Call for Destruction of Sphinx, Pyramids

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Weeks after the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Morsi entered office as Egyptian President, calls began to rise for the destruction of those "symbols of paganism" -- the Egyptian Pyramids.

sphinx_egypt_islamists_ap_photo.jpeg

That was in late June and early July, but*following last week's U.S. presidential election, Islamic clerics again demanded the destruction of one of the Seven Wonders of the World.*
Murgan Salem al-Gohary, a jihadist leader with ties to the Taliban, called for the "destruction of the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids in Egypt." Gohary said "all Muslims are charged with applying the teachings of Islam to remove such idols."*

More moderate voices within Egypt are trying to counter Gohary, but it's doubtful how successful they will be when considering the actions of Islamic fundamentalists in other countries.*

Earlier in 2012, Mali Islamists*blew up centuries-old mausoleums of "Sufi-Muslim saints in the city of Timbuktu." In 2001, "the Taliban dynamited the 6th-century A.D. statues of Buddha carved into a cliff at Bamiyan in Afghanistan."

From Women Against Shariah: Islamists Call For Destruction Of The Sphinx, Pyramids among many sources.

Just like they did to the centuries old Buddahs in Afghanistan. :confused:

The Muslim Brotherhood truly are a disgrace to the human race!

Also, what sort of religion calls for the destruction of the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids and other ancient artifacts ? Their level of stupidity is such, that boggles the mind!

Unbelievable!

I looked for a more mainstream source to verify this and could not find it. Sounds like just another extremist lunatic whose threats should be not be taken very seriously, but, who should be watched nonetheless.

I looked for a more mainstream source to verify this and could not find it. Sounds like just another extremist lunatic whose threats should be not be taken very seriously, but, who should be watched nonetheless.

Let's hope they don't go ahead with the destruction. :(

The problem is that there are just too many extremists lunatics in the Muslim Brotherhood.

It's their country and their property.

They can do what the want.

Who are we to say different? :cool:

Aren't the Pyramids World Heritage? meaning places of beauty and wonder, memory and meaning? like the Great Wall of China and the Taj Mahal....etc?

If they are World Heritage they must be protected.

Neither Murgan Salem al-Gohary or the Taliban own it the Egyptian government does.

Further, there is an obelisk in Central Park NYC know as Cleopatra’s Needle. This crazy edict would extend to that structure and these ragtag bunch of lunatics would be attempting to destroy that on US soil.

Cap-in-the-ass therapy I tell ya....

If American citizens decided to destroy a so called world heritage site within our borders.

We would totally ignore what other countries said about it.

So why should Egypt be any different? :cool:

If American citizens decided to destroy a so called world heritage site within our borders.

I don't think American citizens would stand idle and watch the destruction.

People would be up in arms!

Do you have an actual example or is this some arcane hypothetical?

Americans have a strong independent streak and do not like other countries getting into our business.

So why would you expect different behavior from the citizens of other nations? :cool:

You have yet to actually address any of my posts. However, these treasures which the destruction of are the object of some lunatic's ill conceived notion of propriety are part of a world historical treasure which speak to the history of the human race not just one aspect of society and even if they did they belong to the government not some religious fanatic. They are art, history and a record of historical significance. We all have a right to express our views on this issue.

I think that at the end of the day .... Islamists want to destroy all civilization as we know it and replace it with their own ...pure and simple.

I am not talking of more secular Muslims , but of that great majority of religious fanatics.

wanton destructions of sites IMPORTANT TO ALL THE WORLD-----could lead to a FRENZY of retaliation vandalisms-----using the justification "IT'S OURS ---WE CAN DO WITH IT WHAT WE WISH"-------it could get very ugly

wanton destructions of sites IMPORTANT TO ALL THE WORLD-----could lead to a FRENZY of retaliation vandalisms-----using the justification "IT'S OURS ---WE CAN DO WITH IT WHAT WE WISH"-------it could get very ugly

I don't know about that, no one stopped them from blowing up the Buddas.

It's scary to me, and shameful that the world allowed it, but I'm not sure the world will act any different in the case of the Sphinx and the Pyramids when are thousands of years older than the Buddha statues were.

Aren't the Pyramids World Heritage? meaning places of beauty and wonder, memory and meaning? like the Great Wall of China and the Taj Mahal....etc?

If they are World Heritage they must be protected.

I would think those 6th century giant Buddha statues would have fallen under that, but apparently they didn't, why should we think it would be any different with the Sphinx and the pyramids?

Forum List

Back