Islam studies required in California district

Johnney

Dec 9, 2003
IOWA
link
this is an old article, jsut wanted to know of you guys seen this or not and what your thought are. not vouching for the site, dotn think ive heard of it or if this is true

In the wake of Sept. 11, an increasing number of California public school students must attend an intensive three-week course on Islam, reports ASSIST News Service.

The course mandates that seventh-graders learn the tenets of Islam, study the important figures of the faith, wear a robe, adopt a Muslim name and stage their own jihad. Adding to this apparent hypocrisy, reports ANS, students must memorize many verses in the Koran, are taught to pray "in the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful" and are instructed to chant, "Praise to Allah, Lord of Creation."

"We could never teach Christianity like this," one outraged parent told ANS.

Elizabeth Christina Lemings, a teacher in the Byron, Calif., Union School District, was unaware of the course until her seventh-grade son brought home the handouts. Obtained by ANS, the handouts include a history of Islam and the life of Mohammad, its founder. There are 25 Islamic terms that must be memorized, six Islamic (Arabic) phrases, 20 Islamic proverbs to learn along with the Five Pillars of Faith and 10 key Islamic prophets and disciples to be studied.

"We can't even mention the name of Jesus in the public schools," Lemings laments, "but ... they teach Islam as the true religion, and students are taught about Islam and how to pray to Allah. Can you imagine the barrage of lawsuits and problems we would have from the ACLU if Christianity were taught in the public schools, and if we tried to teach about the contributions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the Apostle Paul? But when it comes to furthering the Islamic religion in the public schools, there is not one word from the ACLU, People for the American Way or anybody else. This is hypocrisy."

ANS reports that students are to pretend that they are Muslims, wear Muslim clothing to school, stage their own jihad via a dice game and pick out a Muslim name (to replace their own) from a list of 30.

When asked what they thought about the course, students described it as "fun," while others described Islam as "a pretty culture." Joseph Lemings, 12, told ANS, "the jihad was like playing a video game."

The "fun" description disturbs Elizabeth Lemings, who sees the course as a tool, not only to engender sympathy and support for the Muslim cause, but for recruitment.

"This is not just a class of history of examining culture," she said. "This course is entirely too specific. It is more about indoctrination."

Nancy Castro, principal of Intermediate-Excelsior School of Byron, told ANS that the Islam course (included within "History of Culture") reflects California educational standards. Castro maintains the course "is not religion, but ancient culture and history. We do not endorse any religion; we just make students aware." Castro further emphasized the course textbook is in use throughout California.

The textbook used for the Islamic course, "Across The Centuries," is published by Houghton-Mifflin and has been adopted by the California school system. In it, according to ANS, Islam is presented broadly in a completely positive manner, whereas the limited references to Christianity are "shown in a negative light, with events such as the Inquisition, and the Salem witch hunts highlighted in bold, black type." ANS notes the portrayal of Islam leaves out word of "the wars, massacres, cruelties against Christians and other non-Muslims that Islam has consistently perpetrated over the centuries."

Asked if there was any response from parents about the Islam course, Castro told ANS, "Oh, a couple of parents called to express concerns, three to be exact."

"Oh, a couple of parents called to express concerns, three to be exact."

I find that incredibly hard to believe!

I havent heard this story, but I think the idea behind it is a crock. The points some of the parents made pretty much describe my thoughts on the matter... Its bullshit that this can happen when, on the flip side, if Christianity is taught, hell would break loose. Children cant even have "God" in the Pledge, but they will allow the teachings of Islam?

PUHLEEZ. This type of crapola has "private school" written all over it!

I find it very dumb. Either Baptise them, force them into ascetism, deny the existence of God, the importance of clerics, and perform hari kari all at the same time, or use traditional teaching methods.

To learn, you read, discuss and criticize. It is not necessary or even helpful to participate in such a shallow way as acting out a religion in a classroom. In addition, I think all people should be allowed to display their religions in all public places in the form of prayer and clothing. We should be allowed to act when someone goes beyond free speech and encroaches the rights of others. And so what if the pledge says "God"?

"In addition, I think all people should be allowed to display their religions in all public places in the form of prayer and clothing."

You have every right in the world to do that....as long as you are NOT a white christian!!!!!

...Survey courses of all of the worlds major religions should be required in high school. Along with mathematics, literature, the hard sciences, logic and philosophy.

Teach our kids to think...Not memorize, parrot, regurgitate and forget for proficiency exams.

Forum List

Back