Islam = religion of peace ?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Munin, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
  3. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yeah, I m trying to save you work :tongue: ( :eusa_shhh: I got a feeling this might turn ugly )

4. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Haven't you thought about just saving yourself years of trouble and limit Sunni/David/Abiker all to the same thread? :lol:

5. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I don't know, if it ends that way well I guess then it will end that way. BTW, I m not typing that: that is too long :tongue:.

I found some shorter videos, little bit more controversial. Of a video made by a man that is now seriously threatened by death, some recent information about him (happened only a couple of days ago: this should be in current news, but it is kind of controversial so I ve put it here too):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imLzaUK0haw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5YgxWn3lYA&NR=1[/ame]

The movie that he made:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcev1K-NOc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLMFs4fv4E&feature=related[/ame]

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I would say it depends on your perspective. Are you taking the Koran verbatim? Or are you referring to Islam as it is practiced?

The same arguments are made for and against Christians all the time. Radical Islam makes up less than 10% of Muslims worldwide. For the most part, Islam is just a beleif/religion for Muslims, but they realize that Man wrote the Koran even as Man wrote the Holy Bible.

Sadly, the two religions are presented by the nonreligious from the perspective and/or deeds of the whacko 10%. Most Mulsims I know feel the same as I do ... they could care less what you believe.

There will always be those extremists that misrepresent everything and anything they can. I no more believe OBL represents islam than I do Jerry Falwell or Jim Bakker represented Christianity.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Dr. T. Sanchez

Dr. T. Sanchez BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The Bible's greatest advocate wasn't a pedophile.

8. Dr. T. Sanchez

Dr. T. Sanchez BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    And before anyone brings up Catholic Priests, yeah, some were guilty, too. However, the difference between an adherent and a "Prophet" must be recognized before attempting to impugn anyone. In fact, since mohammed was a pedophile, the Catholic Priest argument only reinforces the argument for the old man's perversion.

Both are wrong, and neither is a valid argument for the other.

9. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I d say how it is represented in the Koran and how the most influential people from this religion interpret it, like with the Bible you also have the Catholic church that is the highest level of authority on the Bible for Catholics. The bible is also studied at Universities where the right historical interpretation of it is given to it. Islam also has these important authority figures (but they are not as visible): Recognized Universities (there are 4 big schools of Islam) that study Islam and make the books that give an interpretation of the Koran. These books that are red by a very large number of muslims around the world are one of the highest authorities of the Islamic religion. These books also "make" the laws about Islam. The interpretation of one of those books is also given in one the first link in the OP (the long video).

Also their is the other question: Can you compare Islam with any other religion?

Is Islam not a religion that often is interpreted as laws? As a political instrument? Sharia law? And that this is the reason why countries with a large muslim population often have these unofficial laws from this religion? (Turkey the "secular" state is an interesting example for this because the official laws from the state and the unofficial laws from religion)

The other thing is the consequences of Islam as law, it means that everything in the Koran can be taken as law. That is why sharia law is so important.

I have never been sure what exactly what the proportion of radical islam, the 10% is somehow doubtful if you can believe certain polls: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ls-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/001493.php

Edit: Also this quote is interesting

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,934
    I actually don't know any Muslims personally. Don't know any Jehovahs Witnesses , Scientologists or Buddhists either. But based on history, no religion is to be trusted to govern, least of all Islam.