Islam...look in the mirror

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by koshergrl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,295
    From the NYT no less:

"I don’t like to see anyone’s faith insulted, but we need to make two things very clear — more clear than President Obama’s team has made them. One is that an insult — even one as stupid and ugly as the anti-Islam video on YouTube that started all of this — does not entitle people to go out and attack embassies and kill innocent diplomats. That is not how a proper self-governing people behave. There is no excuse for it. It is shameful. And, second, before demanding an apology from our president, Mr. Ali and the young Egyptians, Tunisians, Libyans, Yemenis, Pakistanis, Afghans and Sudanese who have been taking to the streets might want to look in the mirror — or just turn on their own televisions.

They might want to look at the chauvinistic bile that is pumped out by some of their own media — on satellite television stations and Web sites or sold in sidewalk bookstores outside of mosques — insulting Shiites, Jews, Christians, Sufis and anyone else who is not a Sunni, or fundamentalist, Muslim."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/opinion/friedman-look-in-your-mirror.html?_r=2

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    Woo. I read the whole article. Friedman used to be a bit behind the curve but no more. His disgust with those who speak from both sides of their mouths and then rampage through the streets, attacking foreign embassies and slaughtering American diplomats is both measured and right on point. Kudos to Thomas Friedman.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    I support the creation of an international comission which can examine----"INSULTS" to religions in general----collect them, catalogue them and ----create a kind of compendium to reveal to the public just who is doing the "insulting" and how they do it. I believe that such a compendium would actually diffuse anger ----and violence since lots of those people (guess who) who respond to perceived "insult" with violence------are THEMSELVES guilty of doing most of the "insulting" The compendium would also bring the issue OUT IN THE OPENED and under logical discussion. I believe that the civil rights project in the USA 1960s was successful because the TOPIC was brought out in high schools around the nation PEOPLE FACED IT------children brought it home to their parents -------Kids have a natural tendency toward "FAIR PLAY"

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Freidman is a jew.

That basically sums up his stance on the issue. :cool:

5. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only if he's a bastard.
    Being a Jew makes you guilty of nothing and suggests no bent either way on most political points.
    That post constitutes a racist remark and I won't have anything to do with racism.

6. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    but most faiths have people who engage in exactly that.

We see the Christian right in America do it.
    The more extreme Jews in and out of Israel and
    the more extreme Muslims.

yes, some Muslims preach daft hate messages but none of the 'book' religions can claim the high ground because they all have their nut case element.

7. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072

The creatures running amok and murdering people in streets and embassies
    are muslims-----That, basically, explains their behavior

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    In Freidman's article he says that he admires the Israeli American site called MEMRI which is about as Islamophobic and hateful towards muslims as it gets.

9. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvIa4xGwKw]IDF Tanks Run Over 5 Month Old Baby & Other Children ( C-4 News ) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfT4QrqOnYM]Heartbreakin story from Gaza 'Israeli soldiers shoot children while eating chocolate and chips' - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8dPGiOTGs]Israeli soldier shoots blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian man at point blank range

10. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072

Memri confines itself to videos of programs created by muslims and translations of speeches and writings ---from arabic to english written by muslims In what way is
    Memri "islamophobic" If someone translated the "innocence" video into French or arabic or Urdu-----would you describe that action os COPTOPHOBIC?

I have read some people claim that the translations are inaccurate-----sorry---I have relatives fluent in arabic----they are ACCURATE why are you ashamed of that which muslims write or say or televise? why do you not want people to KNOW?