ISIS Beheads Another Brit

Yes, it is silly beyond belief. CONGRESS decides if we go to war. They have the final word.

Actually no. War can often be started by the President who has a certain number of days to do what he likes before he has to consult with Congress who control the purse strings.

Also, Bush could say, tell the CIA to go cook up some information, come back, convince Congress and then go to war, ie, what happened.

Also, this isn't the point. Congressmen and Presidents seem quite prone to being bought by big money. Who decides to put pressure and money on Congress and the President?

That is not true. They are not supposed to be able to declare war without the approval of Congress. Bush had Congress approval to go to war with Iraq.

Any particular reason you hate America so much? Did you run for Congress and lose? Tch tch.
Tell us why you worship America?
Still confusing freedom and war?

I wouldn't say that I "worship" America, but I love America because it is the land of the free and the home of the brave! You don't love your country and want it to be the best in the world?
I just heard a radio conversation in which a former Catholic priest said those who love their country are committing
"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    synonyms:idolization, fetishization, fetishism, idol worship, adulation, adoration,reverence, veneration, glorification, lionization, hero-worshiping
    "the prophets railed against idolatry"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone.
Google

Why should I care? I'm not Catholic. Lol. :wink_2: I think that having pride in your country and love for your country makes your country better. Don't you?

Unless you're just proud of being stupid. :cool:

So, you think being proud of your country is "stupid." Well, that explains a lot. :D Seriously, you should go live in another country and then you would be grateful to be an American. You seem like an entitled little brat.

I wouldn't say that I "worship" America, but I love America because it is the land of the free and the home of the brave! You don't love your country and want it to be the best in the world?
I just heard a radio conversation in which a former Catholic priest said those who love their country are committing
"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    synonyms:idolization, fetishization, fetishism, idol worship, adulation, adoration,reverence, veneration, glorification, lionization, hero-worshiping
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

Why should I care? I'm not Catholic. Lol. :wink_2: I think that having pride in your country and love for your country makes your country better. Don't you?

Patriotism has made a lot of smart people look stupid over the centuries:
"Patriotism is, generally speaking, cultural attachment to one's homeland or devotion to one's country, although interpretations of the term vary with context, geography and political ideology. It is a set of concepts closely related to those of nationalism."
patriotism - Google Search
Georgie, if you ain't a patriotic veteran it's best if you raus your narrow butt out of this thread.

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

"Patriotism is, generally speaking, cultural attachment to one's homeland or devotion to one's country, although interpretations of the term vary with context, geography and political ideology. It is a set of concepts closely related to those of nationalism."
Georgie, if you ain't a patriotic veteran it's best if you raus your narrow butt out of this thread.
Why's that, Hossie?

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

So, you think being proud of your country is "stupid." Well, that explains a lot. :D Seriously, you should go live in another country and then you would be grateful to be an American. You seem like an entitled little brat.

That depends, what specifically are you proud of? Are you proud of our education system? Are you proud that we rank # 1 in incarceration? See, it all depends.

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

Why's that, Hossie?
Don't want to see you get embarrased George.

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

That depends, what specifically are you proud of? Are you proud of our education system? Are you proud that we rank # 1 in incarceration? See, it all depends.

Freedom, liberty, democracy. Look what you are doing now, you can discuss the government freely on the internet without having to worry about retribution! This is not the case in some other countries. Look how FAR our country has come in such a relatively short time compared to other countries. Our people are great and so is our landscape! Our country is beautiful, free (for the most part) and great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. :)

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

Freedom, liberty, democracy. Look what you are doing now, you can discuss the government freely on the internet without having to worry about retribution! This is not the case in some other countries. Look how FAR our country has come in such a relatively short time compared to other countries. Our people are great and so is our landscape! Our country is beautiful, free (for the most part) and great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. :)
Do you think the US has become less free since 9/11?

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

I can't argue with that, but I do think we can do much better.

Patriotism is often used by the right for their own means.

Look at the present. People say Obama aided and abetted the US's enemies, ie, Muslims in Egypt.

The US has traditionally given money to the Egyptian govt, Mubarak was pro-US, but the US invasion of Iraq and the consequences thereof, caused the Arab Spring which led to Mubarak being taken down. The US claimed support for democracy in the region, and in Egypt.

The fact that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and the right, who claim to love democracy, say they are the enemy of the US, and anyone who supports them (especially democrats) is treasonous and not patriotic is ridiculous.

The right seem to claim that patriotism is doing what they want. They use wars because they know they can pump patriotism for everything it's worth.

But, they're just wrong on their definition of patriotism. Patriots can want change in their country.

Patriotism is often used by the right for their own means.

Look at the present. People say Obama aided and abetted the US's enemies, ie, Muslims in Egypt.

The US has traditionally given money to the Egyptian govt, Mubarak was pro-US, but the US invasion of Iraq and the consequences thereof, caused the Arab Spring which led to Mubarak being taken down. The US claimed support for democracy in the region, and in Egypt.

The fact that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and the right, who claim to love democracy, say they are the enemy of the US, and anyone who supports them (especially democrats) is treasonous and not patriotic is ridiculous.

The right seem to claim that patriotism is doing what they want. They use wars because they know they can pump patriotism for everything it's worth.

But, they're just wrong on their definition of patriotism. Patriots can want change in their country.

"The fact that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and the right, who claim to love democracy, say they are the enemy of the US, and anyone who supports them (especially democrats) is treasonous and not patriotic is ridiculous."

You support the Muslim Brotherhood?

"i·dol·a·try
īˈdälətrē/
noun
  1. worship of idols.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Google

Democracy huh? Presidents elected by electors, the Senate elected by state votes, not based on democratic principles, the House is being gerrymandered up so badly it's not true.

Then it makes no difference anyway, the amount of money involved means congressmen are following the money, not principles, because principles can't compete with money.

Democracy isn't helping a coup d'etat against democratically elected leaders, like Hugo Chavez. It's not denouncing the Muslim Brotherhood for being democratically elected.

The US doesn't give a damn about democracy.

Freedom huh? Freedom to do what you like as long as it's also what the US likes. Freedom to pump oil out, but not the freedom to limit oil supplies which pushes up prices because this isn't in the interests of the US govt.

Give me a break.

I'm going to quote Nick Griffin, formerly leader of the BNP in the UK. Basically a far right fascist.

"There's a difference between setting out your ideas and selling your ideas and the British National Party isn't about setting out its ideas, which are **** ideas too, but we are determined now to sell them, but that means basically to use the same old words, as I say, freedom, security, identity, democracy, nobody can criticise them, nobody can come at you and attack you on those ideas, they are saleable."

"The fact that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and the right, who claim to love democracy, say they are the enemy of the US, and anyone who supports them (especially democrats) is treasonous and not patriotic is ridiculous."

You support the Muslim Brotherhood?

Nope. I don't support many political parties who are in power. Why should I support them because they're in power? Should I support Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan and Carter?
Should I support Merkel, Cameron, Rajoy and others who have been democratically elected to a certain extent?

Forum List

Back